starting my venture into RBA, have I got everything I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
Sorry, I'm sure these questions have been asked a bazillion times and believe me, I have been reading like crazy this past few days and I do know how to use the search function on this site. I'm only posting because I want to be absolutely sure I am not missing anything and who better to ask than the experts on this helpful community? I wish there was some kind of RBA FAQ for newbies like me and others trying to get into it who may think its too daunting, perhaps someone can create one or maybe link me to one if such a thing exists? I've been asking lots of questions and reading lots of threads and reviews, so I feel like I have a pretty good idea of everything so far and less confused, but there is still so much to learn and tons of different setups and products that make it a bit overwhelming!

First off, I recently purchased an IGO-S, as well as a V5, YK1 KTS, M4 RDA, and a SM20, which are all from fasttech. The Igo-S should be arriving shortly whereas the rest might take a week or two. I've also got a little bit of 3mm silica, a few small pieces of SS mesh, and 32 and 28 gauge kanthal wire, as well as a multimeter since none of my PVs have an ohms reader.

As far as my PV devices go, I primarily use my Spinner/Winder, Twist, and iTaste VV3, and iTaste MVP, but I also have a Vmod mini and Versa VV. I also picked up some new smaples from Virgin Vapors and Nicoticket, so I feel fairly stocked up on the necessities, but am I missing anything else?

I just want to know what EXACTLY I should do upon my first RBA attempt. I think I might try boiling or washing my Igo-S (first one I'll be receiving), then cut some wire and silica wick, torch both of them with a lighter, then attempt to do my first coil. Not sure if I should try the 28 or 32 gauge first, but I guess I would like to aim around 2ohms, as thats what most of my attys and clearos are at and it seems safer with my VV devices. Then what? Do I check the ohms/resistance before firing it up for hot spots? Should I pulse it a bunch of times or is torching it and checking for hot spots enough? Should I try a micro coil or just make a normal coil? How many wraps should I try with each type of wire? Is it absolutely not safe to attempt this without checking ohms/resistance first? How do I know if I have a short or hot spot? Should I drill out my airholes more? I notice one of the RBAs I have a dual coil (the V5 I think), is it ok to make this as a single coil or can my PVs handle it if I attempt a dual coil or should I just not bother for now? Thanks all... just want to be extra sure and safe! I am a bit paranoid about exploding batteries and shorting out my devices!

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal
Hey good for you you seem to be on the right track although you seem to be trying to absorb all the available knowledge at once. I would suggest first off you read this information from Baditude: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-tips-vapors-looking-try-their-first-rba.html. It contains not only practical information but information designed to keep your vaping experience not only pleasurable but foremost safe.

The Rebuildable Atomizer sub forum here which I am sure you have been reading, has an exchange of information and ideas and tips and tricks and innovations that members share with one and another. Look over the posts with a point of view to just get a feel for what is going on. Watch a lot of You Tube videos on different types and methods of coil rebuilding for your IGO-S and others.

When you get your RBA along with your supplies start building some wicks and coils and use your multimeter to see how the different gauge Kanthal and wraps affect your Ohms. If you have an android smartphone get a great coil building app called Vaper's Toolbox.

There is a learning curve to all this and IMHO it is constant and progressive and very satisfying.

p.s No need to be paranoid learn the safe interactions of the equipment and practice safe vaping

Last edited:

shroom

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2013
Brooklyn
I think you started too fast with your hardware. I did the same mistake and eventually had to give away most the stuff. I suggest you to stop your shopping spree and start your research.
You bought so many drippers instead you could buy just one dripper with a bottom feed hole and you would have been set to vape it on your Vmod mini with out dripping. Here are couple of those bottom feed examples: reomizer 2.0 rba
Cyclone Rebuildable Atomizer - Bottom Feeder | Vapersphere
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XjH8lFurPk&feature=youtu.be

For battery mods it all depends on if you want to stay with drippers or move alone into the tank systems. For bottom feed drippers except your Vmod mini there is another more expensive and more reliable option: http://www.reosmods.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=29&Itemid=3 For tank systems you will be good to go with your bunch of batteries but I will include a link for one or alike which is cheap and does what it should: http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10004394/1354800-vamo-v2-variable-voltage-mod-e-cigarette-battery

Talking about tank systems I would suggest to skip any sort of a genesis atomizer because of the learning curve and reliability. Genesis is a good atomizer as a good home project. The option is modified drippers Kayfun Lite and Squape or Kayfun clone (Russian Rocket). Kayfun Lite is the best atomizer for money if money isn't an issue: http://www.intaste.de/Rebuildable-Atomizer/SvoeMesto/Kayfun-Lite::1939.html Squape is also pricy but also one of the best: http://www.intaste.de/Rebuildable-A...buildable-Atomizer-Stainless-Steel::1940.html The cheapest option with out compromising the great performance is Russian Rocket, somebody bought it with out coop for $24: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/active-coops/471709-rocket-tank-kayfun-clone-co-op.html

Last edited:

shroom

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2013
Brooklyn
Don't bother with double coils yet. One good single coil can blow your socks off. For a dripper or for a modified dripper your bet is 30 and 28 gauges of kanthal wire. They also sell on ebay:
Kanthal Wire 30 Gauge RW0105 - 25 FT 0.1oz Series A-1 Resistance AWG
For wicking there is nothing beats cotton but make sure you roll it very slightly when you make a wick from it: CVS Organic Triple Size Cotton Balls - CVS pharmacy

I personally build coils out of 30 gauge wire rolling it around 1/16 drill bit. For my Vamo mod I have stay above 1.2 ohms so I make 5 strains, check my resistance, stick my cotton wick and then i'm good to go to vape like a King.

If you use a spinner or a mod with some electronic control in them then there is no reason to afraid shorts. Mechanical mods are a different story, if there is a short the battery will explode. So, its better to use it with a fuse or a kick.

The next very important step is DIY juice. My DIY juice costs me about 6-7 bucks a month even though I vape 3-4ml a day. Again, I stay very simple I don't mix flavors, I pick one flavor I want look at the chart of percentages (link below) and add to my mix of the main compounds. Here is the list of you need for DIY Juice:

nic (stick to 48mg PG which much safer than 100mg)
VG
PG
flavors (my favorite are Energy Drink, Strawberry, and Cranberry)
eJuice Me Up calculator http://ejuice.breaktru.com/
20ml syringes
5ml syringes
1ml syringes
14g, 16g, 18g Needles
30ml bottles (glass bottles)
10ml bottles (for test samples)
Everything can be bought from wizardlabs.com.

Flavors' percentages list, make sure you pick the right company which produces your flavors: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AkX4_hQ6Fu8HdEwwR2dLRUJlVjlabEN1NG1ucktuUVE&gid=0

Glass bottles: http://www.specialtybottle.com/glassbottles-2.aspx

Last edited:

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
Thanks for the links, they are helpful but at the same time, there is a ton of info and I'm not sure exactly what info I need to get started without being overwhelmed with excess info. I just got my stuff today, minus the multimeter, but you say they should be safe to use on VV batteries since they usually have some amp protection? Thing is, I want to dig in and I don't want to wait several days for my multimeter to arrive but as long as I'm safe it's fine. The reason I bought so many different drippers, is because the ones from fasttech are pretty cheap and I figure I could have different flavors in each one or experiment with coils and air holes. They won't be arriving for a good while anyways so I have my Igo-S for now. And another thing... I don't really want to spend a ton of money on new mods like the Reo or really expensive drippers and gennys, maybe once I get more comfortable with it all I will splurge on a high quality dripper but for now, unless the clones are way worse, I have no problem using them if they get the job done without too much tinkering.

I did want to get a Genesis style too but since they are supposedly noob unfriendly, I decided to hold off on that for the moment.

shroom

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2013
Brooklyn
What I'm really saying not to rush with the hardware and instead to learn about. Instead of bunch of the cheap stuff one proper combination like a Reo dripper and a Reo mod or Russian Rocket combined with Vamo mod will do the job much better than the most high end hardware. The Reo stuff is expensive but there is no cheap alternative like Kayfun and its clone Russian Rocket.
Genesis atomizers are miles away from noob friendly they are far away from even user friendly. Even after of tons of experimentation they can't be taken out because they leak, and in order to vape them they require constant tilting. Some people like genesis attys despite the issues anyway. Its better to get something reliable to vape first then to collect whater looks good in your collection.

Last edited:

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
Ok I just made my first coil and it looks okay... not the best job but it seems decent. I used 3mm silica wick and 32 gauge kanthal wire. I lit them with a lighter briefly and then attached to my Igo-S then used tweezers to space out the coils better. Well, I don't have my multimeter yet so.. no way to check resistance. I gave it a go on my Ego Twist anyways and I can feel the coils getting hotter, but they're not really turning red and I'm too scared to try several times in a row. I don't know if its safe or not... I can feel my battery getting warm but I don't know if its normal warmth or 'something wrong' warmth but I don't want my battery to explode in my face. What should I do? You say the battery shouldn't fire if it will short my device or something dangerous? Or should I not bother with this until I get my multimeter? I probably made a mistake in my coil somewhere? I did about 5 wraps over and 4 wraps under.

Ok... ten minutes later, made some adjustments, the coils are turning orange and looks fairly even, I trimmed my wicks and put some juice on the coil, fired it up and I can see vapor coming off of it. So far so good... I stuff the wicks into the cap, line up the airhole, put some more juice into it and give it a vape.

I wouldn't say I'm blowing CLOUDS but its decent vapor. Slightly scratchy on some hits but nothing too harsh. Main thing however is that the flavor isn't really there. What am I doing wrong?

TastyKakes

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2013
Philadelphia
What am I doing wrong?

You're not listening to advice.
I don't mean to come across as a jerk, but you're firing a coil that you built with limited knowledge and no way of checking resistance, seeing if there is a short, etc and so forth.
You state you don't want a battery blowing up in your face, but you take unnecessary risks anyway that could lead to what you're trying to avoid.
This all seems pretty damn simple: twist some wire around some wicking material, hook it up, and fire away. But there are a lot of variables you should take under consideration before jumping head first into unknown waters.
My best advice: put the rebuildable stuff away, read more until you start to understand, then once you have a multimeter, ohm reader, vv mod with ohm reader, then and only then should you try your hand at building your own atomizers.
Didn't mean to preach, but please be safe.

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
I am listening to advice and I have been reading a lot. I have a fairly decent understanding of what I am suppose to do, minus the multimeter. I see people on videos do it all the time, they make the coil and immediately fire it without checking the resistance. I suppose they can because they have "experience" or maybe being a bad example or also "not listening to advice"? If I wasn't looking for advice I wouldn't be here asking questions.

JollyVaper

Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Nassau, Bahamas
I think what you need more than anything else as you wander down the RBA path is PATIENCE!! I let quite a few choice profanities out of my mouth as I started down the path myself. There is a learning curve to figuring out the coils and wicks BUT when you dial it in correctly..... oohh baby.... what a vape it can make!! Good Luck with it!

TastyKakes

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2013
Philadelphia
I am listening to advice and I have been reading a lot. I have a fairly decent understanding of what I am suppose to do, minus the multimeter. I see people on videos do it all the time, they make the coil and immediately fire it without checking the resistance. I suppose they can because they have "experience" or maybe being a bad example or also "not listening to advice"? If I wasn't looking for advice I wouldn't be here asking questions.

My apologies for coming across as a Richard. Once you've wrapped enough coils you get to know how many wraps of what gauge wire will give you the resistance you're looking for. You also get to know coil placement, checking for the usual suspects for shorts and such. Most ego batteries will not fire if short is detected, but with all the clones and/or counterfeits out there, I don't ASSUME anything.
I just don't want to see another accident happen that could've been easily avoided - the vaping community has enough bad publicity.
My recommendation is to get a vv mod (I got a vamo: good intro mod for the price, vv, vw, and has an ohm reader.) Then you can check the resistance and have some built in fail safes while you get your feet wet.
My concern comes from the fact that even with my first couple builds AND using my vamo check the resistance: first coils read 1.6, dry fired it a few times, worked out the hot spots, coils glowing evenly. Threaded in some cotton yarn, loaded it up with juice, went to fire and...nothing. The resistance dropped out to 0.2.
Don't know exactly what happened, but firing that coil on an unregulated mod with the wrong battery COULD HAVE been a major issue. Better safe than face melted, ya know.

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
Tasty, do I really need another VV device if I already have 5 of them? All of the ones I use now are all VV with no removable battery, and from what I hear, using removable batteries poses a greater risk for danger. I already have a multimeter on the way so I don't see why I need to get a Vamo if the only benefit is the ohm reader included in the device? And while there is always the chance anything you order can be counterfeit, I highly doubt my Ego style devices are, the only clones that I have knowingly ordered are the RBA's from fasttech. But you are right, I will wait for my multimeter to arrive before I mess with the RBA any further, I certainly do not want missing fingers or my jaw blown off. BTW, when using a multimeter, how can I tell if there is a short? Does it give me a weird reading or say something specific?

and shroom, yea I did dry burn that silica and it did get some black ashy looking parts on it. This is probably the reason the flavor of the juice tasted funny. I did see someone do that on a video so I thought it was standard procedure. See, videos can be deceptive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread