Starting out my DIY adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Sutton

Dec 31, 2017
Galveston, TX
Update:
I mixed up 3 flavors basically as soon as I got the kit in. I then decided I loved it so much I made two 120ml bottles... I don't see why every one isn't getting into this. Not only can you tailor make your flavor (I thought the baked cinnamon roll wasn't sweet enough so I added sweetener and it was perfect) but it's so cost effective. One of the 120ml bottles costs roughly $6... No one sees juice this good for $6. My co-workers have even pitched in to buy more flavors so I can make their favorite juices too.

Thank you guys. I'll be buying more flavors soon and start with your recommendations. Y'all are awesome.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Oh yeah, @BrotherBob I read through those mostly. The chemistry is easy for me. I was a chemist in another life I think. I'm just open to suggestions about what flavors most think are the must haves.

On another note, I've been a registered licensed pharmacy technician for over a decade, so I understand the measuring and safety. Aside from that, the math is second nature to me. In fact reading the posts, I was starting to form my own equations and then boom, there they are.

I however, understand that mistakes happen and what not, so I've bookmarked everything so I have a good reference to check and double check everything. I even have a safe area for all this stuff so my little one doesn't get into this stuff: a room with a lockable door (reinforced with a baby gate just in case) and a cabinet in said room that has an area I can put stuff on top of (that I myself even at 6' tall needs a step ladder to get to).

But with all that being said, those pages are great references and that's what I love about these forms. Everyone here is not only extremely helpful, but I get the feeling that everyone watches everyone's back to make sure that this hobby that can potentially be extremely dangerous stays safe so we all can enjoy it. Thanks again to everyone. I know the girlfriend and son appreciate it too!!

What I did was search for different recipes that I liked that were clones or close to what I was vaping. Then from those recipes I ordered the flavorings. I bought a starter kit also tho ,I’ve was fromNicotine River and it included 15 flavors!!!! And yes these bottles really do last a couple of batches. Of course that depends on the size of the batches.

My initial batches are 10-15 mls in case it doesn’t come out right. If I like it then I make 20-30 mls. I haven’t gotten to making more than 30mls of anything because I’m enjoying vaping so many different flavors that I’ve been making. It’s a lot of fun.

I see you have a chemistry background so it should be simple enough. I decided to mix by weight with a small precision scale than mix by volume. To me it’s easier and there’s less cleanup.

Enjoy and have fun!

sara

Chris Sutton

Dec 31, 2017
Galveston, TX
Another update:
Mixed, and quite frankly loved, pretty much every flavor in the box. Pacific Cooler was my favorite of the bunch, especially with the sweetener I included with my kit.
Discovered I love 60/40 base, or even 75/25. not because of the vape. Because at 50/50 I blow through juice like there's no tomorrow.
So I ran into an issue though. I wanted a replacement bottle of VG, and man... the shipping is intense! I saw nicRiver and I think it was bull City had free shipping of $50 or more. I didn't want to buy $50 today. I have seen a lot of people suggest amazon for VG, so I did get free shipping, for about $3 more, so that was a fair trade, and still bought flavors from Bull City. So I spent $30 and will be covered for juice for a while. (I'm going to try and clone a juice I loved, Donkey Khan by humble)

Thanks again for the helps/tips/advice. I think it's made a big impact on my DIY Adventure!

Next stop, a new RTA for myself and get my GF away from manufactured coils... and my vape! :D

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
What are things that you enjoy drinking or eating? Simple things like an Apple or Hawaiian punch. Try those things. I go to the big internet (bunch'o brands) websites and just look at what is out there.

Then I added to my basic flavor. Say it was peach, then I tried a cream with it. I put Sour in with my lemonade (just a touch) since I did not think the lemonade flavor was tart enough.

All recipes take curiosity and talking like the Swedish Chef on the Muppets. Even get a chef's hat...

Have fun, it's a fun hobby.

Oh, take exact notes on recipes, how you made it, what you thought of it, and if anything needs to change for the future making of the recipe. Only your tastebuds can approve it, no one else.

Einstein said (not recently, though) that succeeding is 10% perspiration and 90% imagination.

Chris Sutton

Dec 31, 2017
Galveston, TX
Yep already tried some. I ordered a orange banana flavor with my kit and thought, man I bet that would be a good one to add cream to... I made a good decision lol.
Also the Cherry one I got I thought was a little tart so I added 20 or so drops of sweetener (120 more batch) and it was just right. I figured this humble clone would be a good one to practice tuning, because I like the juice but always thought it could taste a little more like strawberry and less like bananas, so I'm going to play around with it and steeping a bit

Chris Sutton

Dec 31, 2017
Galveston, TX
Update:
After learning so much from everyone, here is what I landed (so far anyway!!):
Smoant Charon 218w
Ammit 25 RTA
2 Samsung 25Rs, 2 Hohm Life batteries, Efset Luc v4 charger
7 wrap Kanthol Clapton, semi-spaced
Rayon wick
100w, .85ohm
Homemade Strawberry juice (10% TFA Strawberry, 5% TFA Ripe Strawberry, 1.5nic, 60/40, .5ml sweetener)

I know it's all subjective, but right now, this build... great taste, great clouds, great happiness.
Oh and I can't forget, 1 Olaf sticker from my stepdaughter as well, to remind me "that she loves me"

Attachments

• 20180302_001929.jpg
    20180302_001929.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Homemade Strawberry juice (10% TFA Strawberry, 5% TFA Ripe Strawberry, 1.5nic, 60/40, .5ml sweetener)

Some flavorings have ethyl alcohol in them, ie. your TFA Strawberry above. It's best to let EA evaporate off before vaping any mix containing it, since it is not good for the lungs. An easy way to do that is to shake your mix very well (causing lots of tiny bubbles in it), then leave off the dropper tip and cap off. Set the bottle aside until the bubbles have come to the top and burst. (You'll probably see sort of a whitish ring at the top of the liquid after they all burst). Repeat that several times, depending on how large the batch is and how much of the flavoring is in it, that contains EA.

Since your mix contains 10% TFA Strawberry...for a small 10-20mL batch, you may need to do that just once. For a 20-60mL batch, probably 2 times should do it. Larger than that may take 3-4 times for it all to evaporate off.

Once the EA is gone, you should be able to taste and sense the difference. Your eliquid will be smoother and less "bitey".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread