Stealth Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuMoNiC

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
SLC
I see many people post that one of their favorite things to do is to “Stealth vape”. I agree, this is awesome, but I have a few questions for you more seasoned vapers.
I have a decent sized office in my building. I don’t share it with anyone, but people are constantly walking by my door. I think they would freak if I freely vaped, but stealth is a total option. My only concern is that can they smell it?
Are they any risk of setting off fire or carbon monoxide detectors in the office or hotel rooms? Most hotels and rental car places will charge you a huge fine now if they think you have smoked, etc. in their property. – I travel for work a lot!!
Sorry I am still new at this and learning. Thanks for the info all!!

the_antisheep

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2010
CO
There's no unnatural CO2 emissions from the device (it's not a product of vaping), so unless your exhales are producing extraordinary amounts of hot air, I wouldn't worry too much about the alarms. The smell of these things is negligible (no one will notice it due to that). I have heard, however, that they will set off the fire alarms in aircraft bathrooms... Why? Good question... I'll leave that one to the experts.

schaedj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2009
The 'Burgh
Most "traditional juices don't smell enough for people to notice. If you use a fruit or spice flavored juice, there is a little bit of air freshener scent to the air. If you do DIY and strengthen the flavor, it becomes more obvious, but people in my office don't mind the smell.
I have never set off a smoke detector, although the particulates in the vapor are capable of doing it. In a hotel room, there is plenty of air circulation for the vapor to dissipate. If you did set one off for some reason, you could always say you were spraying an air freshener...
I believe the person who set one off in an airplane bathroom was blowing vapor straight onto the detector to see if he "could" set it off. More b*lls or less brains than I have.

jfdpl686

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2010
New York
www.flickr.com
I vape at my office. We have an open office so everybody can see it but nobody complains (I asked first to people around me).
ALL of them have told me they can perceive some “candy” odors in my area, the comments I mostly receive are “cotton candy”, “bakery”, “cinnamon” and a couple of “air freshener” odors.
I smoke mostly tobacco, coffee, coke, chocolate tastyfinger and atomic cinnacide.
None of the people around me are smokers or ever smoked; so in my opinion, it is perceptible and mostly is you chain-vape.

Regarding the alarms. I’ve been telling people that it is a tricky subject. Most fire alarm systems will not be triggered by the vapor. But be aware, some systems can detect it; depending on the settings, it could cause a general alarm or a silent one. So the building personnel could know it. Some hotels and office spaces are installing different systems; traditionally smoke detectors or sensors (ionic or photoelectric) are used; but some places pick the “aspiration systems” which has many different thresholds levels which could detect even vapor (like in data-centers). I wouldn’t be really worried in a hotel because they tend to avoid those systems due the shower but I would be aware in an office just to make sure.

As a rule of thumb, if the space is protected by smoke detectors (the white 3” to 6” diameter mounted in ceilings) you are in the safe side.

ApacheChief

Apr 23, 2010
Texas
Only time coworkers/friends have smelled my vape is when they walk in to the 2nd hand vape itself when they get close to me. The smell doesnt linger around or "stick" to your cloths or other materials, so as long as they dont walk in to the vape itself most wont smell anything. During or after your ninja vape session.

I was also speaking with a coworker face to face outside vapeing. Less than a meter away and wanted to know what I was vapeing because he couldn't smell anything. Only until I blew vape in his face did he even notice it had a smell. (he asked me to do that if your wondering)

Last edited:

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
I stealth vape everywhere. I took my 6 year old to the movies yesterday, (and have done a lot in the past too!), and I happily vaped away throughout the whole thing. The trick is to hold the vapor in for a little bit and you'll exhale next to no vapor. If you DO notice some coming out, just stop and give it a few more seconds.

I'd also suggest stealth vaping with liquids that are as much PG as you can take. I find that my all PG liquids have barely ANY vapor with just a few seconds of holding it in.

The unit you're using also helps...in the movies, I use my Ego..the only LED light on it is the button that you press. It's a bit trickier to do it with a 510..especially in the dark!! ;)
Then, there's my COMPLETELY 'dark' GG, no LED at ALL to worry about!

the86d

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2009
So. California, USA
PG with no VG in DIY mixes will quickly dissipate.

I have not set off the Datacenter (although not chain-vaping in there), and the rest of just about everywhere else is all sprinklers, not detectors in the places I have been.

I stealth in the airport while waiting for my son's plane to come or go from his mother's when she gets him. I used to to it in the open, but too many issue with ig-nant flippy paranoid bee-cheese, and the fake cough from snooty fools like 50 ft away upon 1st "seeing" the vapor... Some "worker" at the airport came running and asking if anyone was smoking, and I stated what was going on, and she though it would set off the smoke detectors. (I vaped right in front of TSA checkpoint after MANY repeated questions if it was allowed in the Terminal, and the answer was always "As long as it doesn't burn, and there is no 'Smoke'.")

Just too much of a hassle, and I don't think that it is good publicity. I was just soooooo happy to be a bit... liberated.

I am vape full-open at work... We have had foggers on site for parties.

Last edited:

stover.p

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2010
Oklahoma
Fuuny thing just happend here at work. As I was posting my reply to this thread, our fire alarms went off.......LOL! They all looked at me and said it was my vapeing. I told them they're nuts and to leave me alone. Of course we had to clear the building and wait for the fire marshal to clear the building but hey, it was a nice unexpected break :D

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
I just looked behind me, and our building's smoke detector sits right on the wall behind me... I've never set it off stealth vaping (and good thing too, in this industry (government health), I'd most certainly be fired).

Unless it's a high-tech 'laser sighted' smoke detector, like the one's in a plane's bathroom, you won't set it off..there's nothing in the exhaled vapor to trigger it.

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
The only flavors I would recommend avaiding might be some of the tobacco flavors. I have had people mention a lingering oder of pipe smoke after vaping french pipe, cuba cigar and berry tobacco flavors. It seems to be the fruity/tobacco vapor that lingers for some reason and makes people think of pipe smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread