steam engine dual coil serial build selection series RDAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmc1980

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2011
massachusetts
I hope this question hasn't been posted before. I have always used steam engine as a way to safely build coils. Usually dual coils and I have probably built hundreds of them. I am receiving my first series rda in 2 days, the modfather. I understand the concept of building on such a tank but I was hoping steam engine could give me more information. I found an option for dual coil serial builds. Could someone please tell me if that is how to build on a series rda as it seems to be correct? thanks for any help, Jeff

Reactions: stols001

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I think he is talking about something like this. One side of the coil is attached to the positive hole in the deck and the other side is attached to a block that is insulated and neither negative or positive. The other coil is attached to the negative side of the deck and the other side of that coil is attached to the insulated block. This allows you to run low ohm coils, but it reads as one large coil with double the ohms as the two would normally be. Or something like that, that is how I understood it at least.

Pic for reference. Notice the middle block is fully insulated.

maxresdefault.jpg

jmc1980

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2011
massachusetts
There is no such thing as a series RDA, the atomiser neither knows nor cares.
To answer your question about series builds we need to know what mod you are running it on, wether it is regulated or unregulated and what batteries you are using.
It's an unregulated vv lipo mod with a 1800mah 65-130c 17.5v 4s (4 cell 4.35v per cell) battery in it. I must be misunderstanding you about not knowing what a series RDA is. 2 good examples of a series RDA are the "phenotype-l" RDA by anarchist and my new tank coming in a day or 2 "the modfather" look those up and you'll see what I'm talking about.

jmc1980

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2011
massachusetts
I think he is talking about something like this. One side of the coil is attached to the positive hole in the deck and the other side is attached to a block that is insulated and neither negative or positive. The other coil is attached to the negative side of the deck and the other side of that coil is attached to the insulated block. This allows you to run low ohm coils, but it reads as one large coil with double the ohms as the two would normally be. Or something like that, that is how I understood it at least.

View attachment 762931
that is exactly what I'm referring to. the two coils in a "series" RDA add up so hypothetically instead of 2 .3ohm coils cutting the ohm's in half to be a .15ohm build they would add together to be a .6ohm build. I am still a bit confused about steam-engines numbers. I hope the serial build option is for dual coils building together to add up the ohms so I can use this to calculate my builds with. can someone please explain this option on steam-engine to me. thanks, Jeff

jmc1980

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2011
massachusetts
Today I learned something new. Apologies or jumping the gun, and as I have no experience with these devices I cannot offer any useful advice either.
that's fine sb. we have to learn somehow. I hope others here on e-cigarette-forum can shed some light on if steam-engine can help me get my series RDA set up with a series build. thanks, Jeff

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
my new modfather series rda should be here any minute now. can anyone instruct me on using steam-engine to build coils on it. is the dual coil serial builds option for it correct? thanks, Jeff
Yes if you pick for example a Ni80 22ga 3mm single coil at 0.8 ohms, SE shows ~17 wraps, hitting the drop down and selecting Dual (serial) shows 8. Since the deck is in series, both coils will have 8 wraps as the resistance is added instead of halved.

Does that make sense?

• Useful

jmc1980

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2011
massachusetts
Yes if you pick for example a Ni80 22ga 3mm single coil at 0.8 ohms, SE shows ~17 wraps, hitting the drop down and selecting Dual (serial) shows 8. Since the deck is in series, both coils will have 8 wraps as the resistance is added instead of halved.

Does that make sense?
yes, perfectly. thanks TD.

jmc1980

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2011
massachusetts

Does that make sense?
do you think I can use 20gauge instead of 22gauge? I have 12.6v 3s and 17.5v 4s 1800mah 65-130c batteries in a vv lipo box mod. thanks, Jeff

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
is 22gauge what I should use on my 3s/4s, 12.6v/17.5v 1800mah 65-130c batteries in my lipo box mod at .5-.8 ohms? how about 20gauge? my mod should be able to handle the 20gauge, right?
I'm not the right guy to ask about LiPo's as I never got into them. I understand you multiply the mAh capactiy buy the C rating and divide by 1000 to get the max A output.

So both of those builds (12.6/0.5 and 17.5/0.8) come in under the max rating on the battery. A dual 20ga build should work fine the 0.5 needs ~150W for a heat flux of 250 and the 0.8 need ~240W, others could give you better advice.

I run single cell mech squonkers, regulated DNA devices and PWM 2S.

jmc1980

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2011
massachusetts

View attachment 762931
zaryk, I can no longer quote your post to show the picture of the deck you provided. however, if possible could you please inform me of that particular make/model as I am very interested in purchasing one for myself. thank you very much either way, Jeffrey

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
zaryk, I can no longer quote your post to show the picture of the deck you provided. however, if possible could you please inform me of that particular make/model as I am very interested in purchasing one for myself. thank you very much either way, Jeffrey
That is the Lego style deck from the Steam Crave Aromamizer Titan RDTA which can be configured in either RDA, 18ml or 28ml modes.
Aromamizer Titan RDTA,Aromamizer Titan

Their new Glaz RDSA has a similar deck (postless and series) but it is not designed to run massive builds due to the airflow being tuned for flavor.
Glaz RDSA,Glaz RDSA NEW!

• Useful

jmc1980

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2011
massachusetts
That is the Lego style deck from the Steam Crave Aromamizer Titan RDTA which can be configured in either RDA, 18ml or 28ml modes.
Aromamizer Titan RDTA,Aromamizer Titan

Their new Glaz RDSA has a similar deck (postless and series) but it is not designed to run massive builds due to the airflow being tuned for flavor.
Glaz RDSA,Glaz RDSA NEW!
THANK YOU SO MUCH TrollDragon!!! I'm not sure if I'll look into it to find out more about it or not before I buy one. However, is this a series style deck? If it's a series I'll buy one right away. thanks again for the info, Jeffrey

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
THANK YOU SO MUCH TrollDragon!!! I'm not sure if I'll look into it to find out more about it or not before I buy one. However, is this a series style deck? If it's a series I'll buy one right away. thanks again for the info, Jeffrey
Yep, steam crave aromamizer titan 41mm. It comes with the attachments to do the "series" coil configurations.

jmc1980

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2011
massachusetts
When it comes to my new modfather RDA I will say this...so far I've owned it for 1 day and It's been one disappointing build after the other. Before I inform you of my builds they were all done with a 17.4v battery in a lipo box mod at 50%. I always used my e-cig at 30% with my parallel RDA'S. The builds I used with the modfather needed my mod set at 50% to get the coils hot enough to create vapor quickly. First build I tried was a dual 20gauge wrapped 8 times around a 4mm jig at .8ohms and only got 2-3 puffs before the RDA got so hot it wouldn't give anymore puffs. That was scary for a minute as I thought I broke my mod because it no longer hit. Until I put a .5ohm parallel RDA on it and it was back to normal. Next were .25ohm aliens that I thought had a lot of promise/potential that SHOULD have gone to .5ohms, but instead went to .76ohms. They, performed alot like the 20gauge 8 wraps around the 4mm jig because they only gave 2-3 puffs before becoming too hot and were no longer hitting. I have, TEMPORARILY, given up on this RDA. Can anyone PLEASE help me with a build that will perform better than my 20+(at least) standard/parallel RDA'S that are all built to .5ohms. Because all my RDA'S are at .5ohms does that mean my modfather RDA should come in at .5ohms. I don't care what the ohms are, I just want my new modfather RDA to hit "like a freight-train" would it perform better at a different ohm? I find that a .5ohm build works better than any other ohm build with my 2 lipo boxes. I primarily use 4s 1800mah 65-130c 17.4v batteries. p.s. I have to keep my ohms from .45-.5 and up with my lipo mod to be safe. thanks to all who can help, Jeffrey

• Useful

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
When it comes to my new modfather RDA I will say this...so far I've owned it for 1 day and It's been one disappointing build after the other. Before I inform you of my builds they were all done with a 17.4v battery in a lipo box mod at 50%. I always used my e-cig at 30% with my parallel RDA'S. The builds I used with the modfather needed my mod set at 50% to get the coils hot enough to create vapor quickly. First build I tried was a dual 20gauge wrapped 8 times around a 4mm jig at .8ohms and only got 2-3 puffs before the RDA got so hot it wouldn't give anymore puffs. That was scary for a minute as I thought I broke my mod because it no longer hit. Until I put a .5ohm parallel RDA on it and it was back to normal. Next were .25ohm aliens that I thought had a lot of promise/potential that SHOULD have gone to .5ohms, but instead went to .76ohms. They, performed alot like the 20gauge 8 wraps around the 4mm jig because they only gave 2-3 puffs before becoming too hot and were no longer hitting. I have, TEMPORARILY, given up on this RDA. Can anyone PLEASE help me with a build that will perform better than my 20+(at least) standard/parallel RDA'S that are all built to .5ohms. Because all my RDA'S are at .5ohms does that mean my modfather RDA should come in at .5ohms. I don't care what the ohms are, I just want my new modfather RDA to hit "like a freight-train" would it perform better at a different ohm? I find that a .5ohm build works better than any other ohm build with my 2 lipo boxes. I primarily use 4s 1800mah 65-130c 17.4v batteries. p.s. I have to keep my ohms from .45-.5 and up with my lipo mod to be safe. thanks to all who can help, Jeffrey

Maybe @Outcast can be of help. I believe he has experience with such build types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread