Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
Okay, I'm doing great with vaping, no cigarettes for almost two months! Yea me. Just upgraded to an MVP 2 and love it to death. I had Vision Spinners and Evods, and I'm using my Evods just fine on the MVP.

I seem to have accumulated all different types of coils for my toppers. I have some that say 1.8, then some that are 2.4, and even some 2.5.

I've got most of them out of the boxes now and can't really tell which ones I'm using in my Evods. They all seem to perform pretty much the same to me. I probably do not have very discerning taste buds yet, cause everyone talks about how much difference the ohms make in your coils.

Anyhow, I would like to stock up on some coils for my Evod/MPV 2 set up. Which ohm type would be the best overall to use with this?

I have my MVP set at 8 watts, I think. No idea what the voltage is set on. Just whatever it came with. I haven't messed with that part.

Help?

AlabamaWoody

Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Huntsville, Al ,USA
Get you some reading glasses and a bright light and you can read the ohms on the little atomizers. Like said above these devices work well if you set a wattage (power) at 7 watts it will adjust the ohms for your coils automatically. To me generally the higher ohms allows for a higher wattage setting, the lower ohms end up with a lower wattage. Higher equals more vapor, lower less.

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
So you are saying that it doesn't matter which ohm coils I get to use with my MVP? I would like to not have to keep changing the watts, and just leave it at the same setting I have now, which seems to be working well.

In other words, it makes no difference which ohm coils I use, the MVP will adjust itself?

Sorry if I'm being dense, but I am a girl (and an old girl at that, lol) and all I know about electricity is plugging stuff in and pushing the switch.:)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
2.2 and 2.4 are probably most common.
Shouldn't matter once you have vw.
You use high PG liquids?

and another thing: whats the lowest wattage you can set on the MVP?

I'm seeing 6watts as the lowest on fasttech, but the svd and vtr have 3 as the lowest so i'm wondering if its a typo or something.

i often vape high vg at 4 watts.

Last edited:

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
Get you some reading glasses and a bright light and you can read the ohms on the little atomizers. Like said above these devices work well if you set a wattage (power) at 7 watts it will adjust the ohms for your coils automatically. To me generally the higher ohms allows for a higher wattage setting, the lower ohms end up with a lower wattage. Higher equals more vapor, lower less.

Okay, I think I can understand that. Maybe I will just set the MVP at 7 watts and call it a day. Ha! I really am not one to keep fiddling with things and changing them.

I worked with someone who changed their computer screen saver about every 30 minutes. Mine was the same for all 4 years I worked there.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
So you are saying that it doesn't matter which ohm coils I get to use with my MVP? I would like to not have to keep changing the watts, and just leave it at the same setting I have now, which seems to be working well.

In other words, it makes no difference which ohm coils I use, the MVP will adjust itself?

Sorry if I'm being dense, but I am a girl (and an old girl at that, lol) and all I know about electricity is plugging stuff in and pushing the switch.:)

Correct. Wattage is a combination of voltage and resistance (ohms). Your device reads the resistance of the coil and adjusts the voltage to get the wattage you want. That's why you don't detect any difference. There isn't any. If you were adjusting voltage instead of wattage, you would have to raise or lower the voltage depending on the coil to achieve the wattage you want. So, selecting wattage is a no brainer. Enjoy

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
2.2 and 2.4 are probably most common.
Shouldn't matter once you have vw.
You use high PG liquids?

and another thing: whats the lowest wattage you can set on the MVP?

I'm seeing 6watts as the lowest on fasttech, but the svd and vtr have 3 as the lowest so i'm wondering if its a typo or something.

i often vape high vg at 4 watts.

All my juice is 80pg/20vg. Looks like the highest watts on my MVP are 11, and the lowest is 6.

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
Correct. Wattage is a combination of voltage and resistance (ohms). Your device reads the resistance of the coil and adjusts the voltage to get the wattage you want. That's why you don't detect any difference. There isn't any. If you were adjusting voltage instead of wattage, you would have to raise or lower the voltage depending on the coil to achieve the wattage you want. So, selecting wattage is a no brainer. Enjoy

Thank you. This is just what I wanted to hear. No brainer works for this gal!

Now, as a formal legal assistant, if you want me to compose a legal brief, or compose a will, I can help you. Electricity - not so much.:)

Bolivar

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
Surrounded by cows and wheat
About the only difference you would see is the higher ohm rating will take a little longer to heat up, and it may not be enough difference for you to notice or find objectionable ( in the VW mode). A 2.1 ohm is what it comes with, I'd say +\- a half ohm would still be in the ballpark.

Sent from the north 40 via messenger cow

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
When I've been looking online for replacement coils, someone may have a great deal, but only one ohm type in stock. It sounds like I can be pretty versatile in what I get.

YEP; that is exactly it; with VW you can just pop in anywhere from 1.8 to 2.5 ohm coils and not be concerned.
For somebody who only have VV alone, every time they change the coil, they have to be concerned about whether it is a different resistance.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Thank you. This is just what I wanted to hear. No brainer works for this gal!

Now, as a formal legal assistant, if you want me to compose a legal brief, or compose a will, I can help you. Electricity - not so much.:)

It's really not complicated. Just square the voltage and divide by the resistance and you have your watts. So if you've set it to 4 volts and you're using a 2ohm coil, just square the voltage (4 x 4 = 16) and divide by the resistance (16 /2) = 8 watts

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
It's really not complicated. Just square the voltage and divide by the resistance and you have your watts. So if you've set it to 4 volts and you're using a 2ohm coil, just square the voltage (4 x 4 = 16) and divide by the resistance (16 /2) = 8 watts

Uh oh, you are sounding just like my husband here!:D

He does math and money, I do kitchen and trying to look pretty.

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada

Even less complicated:

Buy any resistance you want, it doesn't matter, leave your MVP at 8 watts and vape. They will all behave the same.

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
YEP; that is exactly it; with VW you can just pop in anywhere from 1.8 to 2.5 ohm coils and not be concerned.
For somebody who only have VV alone, every time they change the coil, they have to be concerned about whether it is a different resistance.

Now I know that's why I was confused. My first set up was a regular ego, and there was lots of talk about which coils would work best with it. I was so afraid of getting the wrong ones at first, and messing something up.

I am delighted to have this MVP 2 do the calculating for me.:)

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
Even less complicated:

Buy any resistance you want, it doesn't matter, leave your MVP at 8 watts and vape. They will all behave the same.

Thank you. These answers keep getting better and better. Now, if this MVP 2 would just load itself with juice, I would be all set.:D

Storm52

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
Shreveport, LA
Bug: Depending on your juice pg/vg and flavor, the resistance matters in some instances. However, if you are using the wattage setting on your MVP, then set it and forget it. Any coil you purchase will ride nicely in the pt2 and give you the same performance from your current juice. My evods and pt2s came with 2.2 coils. Since I liked how things were working, I reordered 2.2 coils. I've even rebuilt them to 2.1 - 2.2. I learned that in order to get better flavor in a particular vendor's juice, I should recoil to 1.2 to 1.5 ohms. I'll try that setup next. Some of the juices that I've accumulated like a lower voltage setting than others. I stick with voltage instead of wattage. For us senior types, there are way too many options!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread