Stop the FDA from banning Electronic Ciagrettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Hawkins

Sep 7, 2010
Florida

Did you know that around 45.9 million American adults smoke cigarettes? It's true! And, each day, many of them put out what they hope will be their last cigarette, only to light one up the next morning! Those who want to quit smoking need all the help they can get. Electronic Cigarettes, which are Alternatives to smoking, are an effective way to help break the cigarette-smoking cycle. But if the FDA has their way, electronic cigarettes will be made illegal. That's where you come in!

Did you know that electronic cigarettes contain propylene glycol, which has been found by Dr. Oswald Hope Robertson to be an effective agent in helping to kill the germs that spread pneumonia, influenza and other respiratory diseases? Why would anyone in their right mind want to ban these potentially life saving devices!?

Together, we can help fight to keep electronic cigarettes legal. We are in the process of forming an organization to fight for the continued legalization of electronic cigarettes. But we can't do it without your help.

You have probably heard before that secondhand smoke, or environmental tobacco smoke, is harmful to one's health. But did you realize that secondhand cigarette smoke contains more than 60 substances that can cause cancer? It's true, according to the American Cancer Society. This is one major reason why electronic cigarettes should be legal throughout the country. Why? Because electronic cigarettes do not emit environmental, or secondhand, smoke. So the public health benefits of electronic cigarettes are vast!

The benefits of keeping electronic cigarettes legal speak for themselves:

They help the cigarette smoker to maintain the 'ritual" that they crave by smoking, yet do not contain all the same harmful ingredients.There is no secondhand cigarette smoke to harm the public.Electronic cigarettes will not litter the streets in the manner that regular cigarettes do, causing pollution.Fire-related accidents from cigarette smoking will be eliminated, because there is no fire involved. According to the National Institutes of Health, smoking is the leading cause of residential fire deaths.Electronic cigarettes contain a germicide vapor, called propylene glycol, which has been found by Dr. Oswald Hope Robertson to be an effective in helping to kill the germs that spread pneumonia, influenza and other respiratory diseases.Purchasing electronic cigarettes helps the smoker save money, over time.

We hope you will agree with us that we need to keep electronic cigarettes legal. We need to stop the ban on them, and create an organization to set industry standards and guidelines to help reduce the FDA's power in regulating them. Are you ready to take part in helping to keep electronic cigarettes legal?

Sign our petition today to show your support for keeping electronic cigarettes legal.

It's time to be part of the solution!

Tober138

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
cHARLOTte, NC
I like this.

One comment:

In the second to last paragraph, I would suggest deleting the re-statement that: "Electronic cigarettes contain a germicide vapor, called propylene glycol, which has been found by Dr. Oswald Hope Robertson to be an effective in helping to kill the germs that spread pneumonia, influenza and other respiratory diseases.Purchasing electronic cigarettes helps the smoker save money, over time."

You already state this above; looks like it was inadvertently re-pasted a second time. Sorry of this is nitpicky...I've been reviewing reports all day.

Chris Hawkins

Sep 7, 2010
Florida
Thank you for your correction, and support... I would edit my post, but I do not seem to be able to. However, I did mistype this. It should be bullet-ed as such;

The benefits of keeping electronic cigarettes legal speak for themselves:
• They help the cigarette smoker to maintain the “ritual” that they crave by smoking, yet do not contain all the same harmful ingredients.
• There is no secondhand cigarette smoke to harm the public.
• Electronic cigarettes will not litter the streets in the manner that regular cigarettes do, causing pollution.
• Fire-related accidents from cigarette smoking will be eliminated, because there is no fire involved. According to the National Institutes of Health, smoking is the leading cause of residential fire deaths.
• Electronic cigarettes contain a germicide vapor, called propylene glycol, which has been found by Dr. Oswald Hope Robertson to be an effective in helping to kill the germs that spread pneumonia, influenza and other respiratory diseases.
• Purchasing electronic cigarettes helps the smoker save money, over time.

lisabsn

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2010
Chicago IL
I wouldn't mention the germicide vapor. The FDA is a ponderous organization who will drag this out by investigating those claims itself. Just as ecigs cannot be sold as stop smoking devices the same rule applies, any and all claims are throughly investigated and this takes time, lots of time. We know what ecigs can do, we need to focus on them being a safe alternative to smoking. Your points on safety are dead on especially the fire hazard. Of course the lack of second hand smoke is the biggest selling point for me as well as not causing cancer. Just a few things to mull over.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I like the post, but I would find a synonym for "germicide". It makes me think of bug spray. No one wants that mental picture when you are vaping into the air around them (grin).

PG has been introduced into hospital air handling units to keep germs down. It cleans the air by the microscopic droplets of PG merging with water droplets from sneezes. The Doctor in the article below believes that a gas that is given off by the PG somehow affects water droplets and the germs in them die. It's obviously not toxic to humans since we breathe massive amounts of it and feel great.

From a Time magazine article:
How did it work? Respiratory disease bacteria float about in tiny droplets of water breathed, sneezed and coughed from human beings. The germicidal glycol also floats in infinitesimally small particles. Calculations showed that if droplet had to hit droplet, it would take two to 200 hours for sterilization of sprayed air to take place. Since sterilization took place in seconds, Dr. Robertson concluded that the glycol droplets must give off gas molecules which dissolve in the water droplets and kill the germs within them.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,932876,00.html#ixzz0ytg0kebN

Last edited:

Wench

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Pensacola, Fl.
IMHO online petition's aren't going to really accomplish anything, too easy to ignore.
Phone call's, public turn out's, making noise that the gov and politician's can hear and can't ignore would be much more effective.
Imagine if all the people that signed that petition actually showed up to rally for their right to vape.

mutt4a

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2010
Texas
There is that. However, in our todays world the BIGGEST way to avert a ban and get a real discussion is to get more and more of our tobacco smoking peers to try and hopefully convert, thereby making this more than a fringe group. The larger the raw number of people using these toys the more likely we will get some real discussions rather than the fear mongering that is being tossed out right now.

That being said, I wonder if we shouldn't be arguing something different. Most of the posts/commentaries I have seen from people is about "blocking" the FDA. This continues on the assumption that the only action the FDA can take is a BAN. I think most of us would, after some reflection, agree that some sort of check on exactly WHAT is in these juices we are inhaling into our lungs might be beneficial. What i'd actually like from my government is something that actually HELPS the situation. Unfortunately the current political climate is such that the only conversation seems to be FOR or AGAINST. I dont have the answers as to what that should look like, but their SHOULD be more to the choices than either BAN or IGNORE!!!!!! And WE should be demanding THAT from our legislators!!!

I for one would like to see the FDA adopt a different approach. Rather that try abolition (been there done that on oooooooo so many ocassions) I'd like some testing plan put together that can get us a cross check on what is in these buggers, and what quality control is done. and what we can do to confirm said controls are actually implemented.

Sure, some vendors are telling us what they use, but short of personal relationships just what do we have confirming that they are not just posting more cross links and made up test results? Answer is we dont. I would like to see something alongs these lines, but well, that means FUNDING, and unless there are LOTS of us using these things, funding aint gonna happen.

As for those who try and point out how its to protect the taxes collected from the cigarettes, I HOPE those people we put in government are a little smarter than that. What is collected in cigarette taxes is mostly spent out in Medicare and other programs TREATING the lung cancer. Its much like the gas tax. Sure there is lotsa money collected, but does it come close to covering the costs associated w/ our dependency on oil? The roads alone cost more, and lets not even get into the international political costs......

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
I am a GUY from L.A. not girl. lol
I for one would like to see the FDA adopt a different approach. Rather that try abolition (been there done that on oooooooo so many ocassions) I'd like some testing plan put together that can get us a cross check on what is in these buggers, and what quality control is done. and what we can do to confirm said controls are actually implemented.

Ok, fine. But why aren't the BIG CIG comp's required to list all of their ingredients? And why is it that cigs were never up for ban until all of the research was done. There is a HUGE bias here, and it is all driven by money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread