Status
Not open for further replies.

low_tar_neil

ECF Tea-boy, Vaping.com guy
Admin
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 20, 2008
    www.vaping.com
    From CASAA - please don't sleep on this one!

"The House Ways & Means Committee has revealed that it is considering a tax proposal on nicotine and tobacco as part of the funding bill for President Biden’s “Build Back Better” plan. The provision is designed to equalize taxation across all tobacco and nicotine products.

In other words, the tax on demonstrably less harmful products like vaping, snus, and smokeless tobacco would be the same as the tax on cigarettes – the most harmful tobacco product...

To put this in more relatable terms (see the table below), this new tax would add $10.00 to a 30mL bottle of 6mg e-liquid."

Take Action Now!

Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 09.19.07.png

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Done! With this added paragraph.

"I remember back when the Dr. said that my life span would be measured in weeks, rather than in months or years, if I continued to smoke. I was 68 years old at the time. So I made the switch to vaping. I am now 80 years old, and going strong. So I refuse to go back to where I was! No one has the right to kill me! (and that includes congress)"

Of course sending it to Mitt was kind of a waste :(

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    FFS, stop with the petitions and appeals.
    Name one, just one, that has had any effect.

It's good to know what's coming. Thinking you'll change some idiot law/regulation by petitioning is silly.
    Know what is likely to happen, then prepare. Useful time spent.

Here is something I posted in the Deeming Thread regarding your sentiments on User Involvement.

Say'n that Nothing has Changed is based on the Predicated Assumption that if Nothing was Done that things would have Turned Out Exactly as they are Now.

This may or May Not be True when it comes to e-Cigarettes.

I may be one who says that we are getting Royally Screwed when it comes to Vaping. But I will also say that we have been Granted Extensions and Look-the-Other-Way Enforcement that has allowed Many to be able to Stock Up.

Something I Question would have happened If there had been No Push-Back to what Some Wanted to do e-Cigarette Policywise.

I think you are also Failing to Consider that when Individuals Voice their Opinions it is Not just about Current Policies. But also about the Numerous Pending Policies that are being Proposed. Especially at the State and Local Level.

If No One Voices their Opposition to Restrictions, then there is Nothing to hold back Opportunistic Policy Makers who want to Politically Cash-In with those who think that More and More Restrictions should be enacted.

Doing Nothing, and Saying Nothing, is a Tacit Approval that you Like what is going on.

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2011
    Maybe I am confused.

I thought the tax was part of the "Build back Better" Bill. That one as far as I can see has not yet been voted on. Infrastructure is what passed tonight.

Build Back Better even if passed in the House still has to go to the Senate where there is some opposition to it.

You are correct, two different plans/packages. What was passed late last night has nothing to do with nic taxes.

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    My government hates me, hates the people, from their thrones on the hill. I hear the razor wire has gone up again in anticipation of some event they're probably going to stage themselves and blame on the people. It's them up there vs. us down here, sneering down their noses at us, trying to rob us all and then kill us. I clicked the CASAA link and took the action yesterday. Thank you.

VaPorrini

Dec 19, 2018
    From CASAA - please don't sleep on this one!

"The House Ways & Means Committee has revealed that it is considering a tax proposal on nicotine and tobacco as part of the funding bill for President Biden’s “Build Back Better” plan. The provision is designed to equalize taxation across all tobacco and nicotine products.

In other words, the tax on demonstrably less harmful products like vaping, snus, and smokeless tobacco would be the same as the tax on cigarettes – the most harmful tobacco product...

To put this in more relatable terms (see the table below), this new tax would add $10.00 to a 30mL bottle of 6mg e-liquid."

Take Action Now!

View attachment 956585
    WHAT?? This would be Ridiculously Insane!! It seems like they want us Vapers to go back to Nasty A** Cigarettes instead of helping to Save our Lives?! They claim they follow & Listen to the Science, but if they did none of this Craziness would even be a Discussion. There are many Studies out there Confirming E-Cigs are "at least" 95% less Harmful than Combustible Cigarettes and more Effective than any other form of Tobacco Harm Reduction (THR). So the Question is, What is the Real Motivating Factor that keeps them so Determined to where they are trying to do Everything & Anything in their Power to get rid of Vaping??

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I posted this in the Deeming Thread yesterday. Hopefully it gives people a Scope of just How Large and Just How Many Tax Increases (for Tobacco/Nicotine Products) are being proposed by the House majority.

From pages 714 ~ 719 of this House Ways and Means Tax Increase proposal...

4 SEC. 138504. INCREASE IN TAX ON CERTAIN TOBACCO
    5 PRODUCTS AND IMPOSITION OF TAX ON
    6 NICOTINE.
    7 (a) INCREASING TAX ON CIGARETTES.—
    8 (1) SMALL CIGARETTES.—Section 5701(b)(1) is
    9 amended by striking ‘‘$50.33’’ and inserting
    10 ‘‘$100.66’’.
    11 (2) LARGE CIGARETTES.—Section 5701(b)(2) is
    12 amended by striking ‘‘$105.69’’ and inserting
    13 ‘‘$211.39’’.
    14 (b) TAX PARITY FOR SMALL CIGARS.—Section
    15 5701(a)(1) is amended by striking ‘‘$50.33’’ and inserting
    16 ‘‘$100.66’’.
    17 (c) TAX PARITY FOR LARGE CIGARS.—Section
    18 5701(a)(2) is amended by striking ‘‘52.75 percent’’ and
    19 all that follows through the period and inserting ‘‘$49.56
    20 per pound and a proportionate tax at the like rate on all
    21 fractional parts of a pound but not less than 10.06 cents
    22 per cigar.’’.
    23 (d) TAX PARITY FOR SMOKELESS TOBACCO.—
    24 (1) Section 5701(e) is amended—

1 (A) in paragraph (1), by striking ‘‘$1.51’’
    2 and inserting ‘‘$26.84’’,
    3 (B) in paragraph (2), by striking ‘‘50.33
    4 cents’’ and inserting ‘‘$10.70’’, and
    5 (C) by adding at the end the following new
    6 paragraph:
    7 ‘‘(3) SMOKELESS TOBACCO SOLD IN DISCRETE
    8 SINGLE-USE UNITS.—On discrete single-use units,
    9 $100 per thousand.’’.
    10 (2) Section 5702(m) is amended—
    11 (A) in paragraph (1), by striking ‘‘or chewing tobacco’’
    12 and inserting ‘‘, chewing tobacco,
    13 or discrete single-use unit’’,
    14 (B) in paragraphs (2) and (3), by inserting
    15 ‘‘and that is not a discrete single-use unit’’16
    16 before the period at the end of each such
    17 paragraph, and
    18 (C) by adding at the end the following new
    19 paragraph:
    20 ‘‘(4) DISCRETE SINGLE-USE UNIT.—The term
    21 ‘discrete single-use unit’ means any product
    22 containing tobacco that—
    23 ‘‘(A) is not intended to be smoked, and

1 ‘‘(B) is in the form of a lozenge, tablet,
    2 pill, pouch, dissolvable strip, or other discrete
    3 single-use or single-dose unit.’’.
    4 (e) TAX PARITY FOR PIPE TOBACCO.—Section
    5 5701(f) is amended by striking ‘‘$2.8311 cents’’ and
    6 inserting ‘‘$49.56’’.
    7 (f) TAX PARITY FOR ROLL-YOUR-OWN TOBACCO.—
    8 Section 5701(g) is amended by striking ‘‘$24.78’’ and
    9 inserting ‘‘$49.56’’.
    10 (g) TAX PARITY FOR ROLL-YOUR-OWN TOBACCO
    11 AND CERTAIN PROCESSED TOBACCO.—Section 5702(o) is
    12 amended by inserting ‘‘, and includes processed tobacco
    13 that is removed for delivery or delivered to a person other
    14 than a person with a permit provided under section 5713,
    15 but does not include removals of processed tobacco for
    16 exportation’’ after ‘‘wrappers thereof’’.
    17 (h) IMPOSITION OF TAX ON NICOTINE FOR USE IN
    18 VAPING, ETC.—
    19 (1) IN GENERAL.—Section 5701 is amended by
    20 redesignating subsection (h) as subsection (i) and by
    21 inserting after subsection (g) the following new
    22 subsection:
    23 ‘‘(h) NICOTINE.—On taxable nicotine, manufactured
    24 in or imported into the United States, there shall be
    25 imposed a tax equal to the dollar amount specified in section

1 5701(b)(1) per 1,810 milligrams of nicotine (and a
    2 proportionate tax at the like rate on any fractional part
    3 thereof).’’.
    4 (2) TAXABLE NICOTINE.—Section 5702 is
    5 amended by adding at the end the following new
    6 subsection:
    7 ‘‘(q) TAXABLE NICOTINE.—
    8 ‘‘(1) IN GENERAL.—Except as otherwise
    9 provided in this subsection, the term ‘taxable nicotine’
    10 means any nicotine which has been extracted,
    11 concentrated, or synthesized.
    12 ‘‘(2) EXCEPTION FOR PRODUCTS APPROVED BY
    13 FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION.—Such term
    14 shall not include any nicotine if the manufacturer or
    15 importer thereof demonstrates to the satisfaction of
    16 the Secretary of Health and Human Services that
    17 such nicotine will be used in—
    18 ‘‘(A) a drug—
    19 ‘‘(i) that is approved under section
    20 505 of the Federal Food, Drug, and
    21 Cosmetic Act or licensed under section 351 of
    22 the Public Health Service Act; or
    23 ‘‘(ii) for which an investigational use
    24 exemption has been authorized under
    25 section 505(i) of the Federal Food, Drug, and

1 Cosmetic Act or under section 351(a) of
    2 the Public Health Service Act; or
    3 ‘‘(B) a combination product (as described
    4 in section 503(g) of the Federal Food, Drug,
    5 and Cosmetic Act), the constituent parts of
    6 which were approved or cleared under section
    7 505, 510(k), or 515 of such Act.
    8 ‘‘(3) COORDINATION WITH TAXATION OF OTHER
    9 TOBACCO PRODUCTS.—Tobacco products meeting
    10 the definition of cigars, cigarettes, smokeless
    11 tobacco, pipe tobacco, and roll-your-own tobacco in
    12 this section shall be classified and taxed as such
    13 despite any concentration of the nicotine inherent in
    14 those products or any addition of nicotine to those
    15 products during the manufacturing process.
    16 ‘‘(4) REGULATIONS.—The Secretary shall
    17 prescribe such regulations or other guidance as is necessary
    18 or appropriate to carry out the purposes of
    19 this subsection, including regulations or other guidance
    20 for coordinating the taxation of tobacco
    21 products and taxable nicotine to protect revenue
    22 and prevent double taxation.’’.
    23 (3) TAXABLE NICOTINE TREATED AS A
    24 TOBACCO PRODUCT.—Section 5702(c) is amended by

1 striking ‘‘and roll-your-own tobacco’’ and inserting
    2 ‘‘roll-your-own tobacco, and taxable nicotine’’.
    3 (4) MANUFACTURER OF TAXABLE NICOTINE.—
    4 Section 5702, as amended by paragraph (2), is
    5 amended by adding at the end the following new
    6 subsection:
    7 ‘‘(r) MANUFACTURER OF TAXABLE NICOTINE.—
    8 ‘‘(1) IN GENERAL.—Any person who extracts,
    9 concentrates, or synthesizes nicotine shall be treated
    10 as a manufacturer of taxable nicotine
    11 (and as manufacturing such taxable nicotine).
    12 ‘‘(2) APPLICATION OF RULES RELATED TO
    13 MANUFACTURERS OF TOBACCO PRODUCTS.—Any
    14 reference to a manufacturer of tobacco products, or
    15 to manufacturing tobacco products, shall be treated
    16 as including a reference to a manufacturer of taxable nicotine,
    17 or to manufacturing taxable nicotine,
    18 respectively.’’.
    19 (j) REPEAL OF SPECIAL RULES FOR DETERMINING
    20 PRICE OF CIGARS.—Section 5702 is amended by striking
    21 subsection (l).

https://waysandmeans.house.gov/site...ns.house.gov/files/documents/NEAL_032_xml.pdf

Last edited:

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    Good job, though I agree, some of the "elected" monkeys will never pay attention to you no matter what you say. I hardly ever used the canned language in the click slacktivism actions, other than to reference the bill number. I always include my own personal story, to try and make it real for them.

Excellent! Your personal individual story is more impactful than a thousand nearly identical emails. A letter on paper in an envelope mailed to the local and to DC [District of Corruption] office is another thought.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    With due respect for your general thoughts, I think that there is a distinct difference in the two. Expressing one's own thoughts about anything in the arena of ideas is one commendable act, expressing someone else's ideas whether through an internet petition or by signing the email authored by another is, well, I'll leave it there. It is kind of like shouting, "Yeah, right, what he said".
    I don't think that anyone is advocating doing nothing or saying nothing. Or, better said, I am not advocating silence. I am advocating what I consider to be a more effective action, not just parroting the words of another.

My reply was Regarding this Statement.

"FFS, stop with the petitions and appeals.
    Name one, just one, that has had any effect."

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Signed and sent.

A couple of years ago I re-bottled and froze 3 liters of 100mg/ml nic. I'm still working out of the first liter and have only used a small percentage of the first liter. If you don't have stock in case this passes it could be the last time that you can buy nic and nic products. Don't let them push you out of your vaping rights.

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Done! With this added paragraph.

"I remember back when the Dr. said that my life span would be measured in weeks, rather than in months or years, if I continued to smoke. I was 68 years old at the time. So I made the switch to vaping. I am now 80 years old, and going strong. So I refuse to go back to where I was! No one has the right to kill me! (and that includes congress)"

Of course sending it to Mitt was kind of a waste :(
    Good job, though I agree, some of the "elected" monkeys will never pay attention to you no matter what you say. I hardly ever used the canned language in the click slacktivism actions, other than to reference the bill number. I always include my own personal story, to try and make it real for them.

SleeZy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 3, 2014
    Sweden
    I got a response from my state Representative. He doesn't really commit one way or the other. No response yet from the two Senators.

Thank you for contacting me. It is good to hear from you and I’m pleased to respond.

I commend you for expressing your thoughtful concerns. Our democracy can only be successful when our citizens are aware and knowledgeable of the issues. The ability to make informed decisions on political and legislative matters, as well as current events, is an invaluable skill, and I encourage you to remain active throughout your life.

As you may know, H.R. 2786, the Tobacco Tax Equity Act of 2021, would increase the excise tax on cigarettes and equalize tax rates among all other tobacco products. Opponents of this bill argue it would unfairly place a heavier tax burden on lower-income Americans without encouraging them to reduce intake of nicotine products. They also argue the tax increase would hurt small businesses who heavily rely on income from tobacco sales.

H.R. 2786 has been referred to the House Ways and Means Committee where it awaits further review. You can be sure I will keep your views in mind as I monitor the progress of this legislation.

I appreciate the opportunity to work for you in Congress. Please visit www.carter.house.gov, my various social media sites (@JudgeCarter), and feel free to contact me in the future with any concerns you may have.

Sincerely,

mail

Rep. John Carter
    Member of Congress

To me that just sounds like the usual "pr" reply.

Especially so when he mentions that it would hurt lower income people. It hurts everyone who WANTS to quit smoking with a viable alternative. Especially if this goes through and becomes like we've in sweden. It's more expensive to vape than it is to smoke here. Snus is always touted as best other viable alternative, and it realy is, or was i should say.

Lately we've been taxed heavily on snus as well, unfairly. Couple years ago 2$ would get u a can that'll last you a day or 2. Then it slowly crept up. Mostly due EU legislations.
    Now cheapest you can buy is 4$ and the brand most ppl want is 7$ rougly, slightly higher.

However buying a 10ml (max allowed) 18mg is 8$+ Or you could buy shake and vape 100ml /3mg for the whoopping price of low 25$. And higher if u want stronger, due you need nic shots, which are 5$ each if you manage to find the cheap brands. Which is also getting rarer. Usualy a 10ml/18mg nic shot is 10$

I used to be able to buy 50ml/18mg for 3-4$. Not to mention 100ml/100mg base for about 10$ which lasted months.

Well went of on a tangent here. But ye i guess all in all vaping got me off smoking luckily i was in the right time to do so, Ie early vaping days.
    Newcomers now will spend more for much less and hence have a harder time to quit smoking. Or they will feel it's to expensive, when smokes are cheaper.

It's only Uk that endorse vaping, as a healthy(compared to cigarettes) and a good alternative.

Vapeon4Life

ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2020
    Nevada, USA
    Possible Senate opposition needs to be encouraged
    With the White House on board, and willing to help Congress break President Biden’s repeated promise not to increase taxes on low- and middle-income Americans, preventing passage of a draconian tax on non-combustible nicotine users will fall to Democrats in the Senate.

The BBB bill has no Republican support, and can only be passed (if it is passed at all) through the budget reconciliation process, which requires a simple majority in both houses of Congress. The House of Representatives appears ready to pass it with the nicotine tax included, but a small number of Democratic senators have expressed concerns over the cost of the bill, and a few have said they oppose the nicotine tax.

The bad news is that, as a vote on the BBB Act gets closer, senators will face incredible pressure to support any bill backed by party leadership and the White House. The good news is that it will just take one Democratic senator to stop the tax by demanding it be removed.

Senators Joe Manchin (West Virginia), Catherine Cortez Masto (Nevada), and Kyrsten Sinema (Arizona) have indicated they don’t support a tax primarily on nicotine vaping. But that isn’t written in stone, and additional emails from constituents could help them firm up their stand against the unfair, business-killing nicotine tax.

It’s important for every vaper to contact their elected officials to express opposition to the proposed Build Back Better Act nicotine tax—but emails from residents of Arizona, Nevada and West Virginia are especially crucial at this moment.

Nicotine Tax Update: What's Changed and What's Ahead

ducasse

ECF Veteran
    Apr 28, 2020
    Drammen, Norway
    www.reddit.com
    I'm so sorry they're doing this to you guys, fortunately AIUI this bill only stands a slim chance of passing.

They've suggested new regulations here too, including a flavor ban, nicotine tax and a 25 year age limit. Cigarettes are still only 18, of course.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread