Stories of people who know nothing about vaping trying to tell you about vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
My mother, who has been nagging me to QUIT since I started at 18, that's more than TWO decades, folks!

Well, at one point she sat me down and said, "You know there's new research saying those things are dangerous."

Well, she got a face full of vapor, and a lungful of Fact.

I wouldn't have MINDED so much, but this lady used to be a computer programmer at the NIH for the Human Genome Project. Part of reaching that level of education includes, oh, comprehension of research methodology and etc. I am afraid I also told her that "further dumbing down in her old age will result in a quicker admission to a Long term Geriatric Residential Facility," and she did back the hell UP.

But, the fact is, "research" these days is just sort of "announced" and everyone's just HOPPING on board, forgetting things like the null hypothesis, the need for research to be planned and the fact that if the word "may" appears in ANY research publication, said research should be BURNED and said researchers should be sent to some sort of colony somewhere where they do not allow "research" and frankly I'm not OPPOSED to a little TORTURE here and there, because frankly what they are doing IS KILLING PEOPLE. Either via Ignorance or Purposeful Misdirection, and those are the type of sins that like, deserve a little torture.

I will say, she voted for Hillary TOO, but I'm not going to claim CAUSATION meaning voting for Hillary CAUSES a drop in IQ, necessarily, but I for SURE think that the very idea of Casting a Vote for a Clinton probably does require a sort of mental self injury in the logical part of the brain.

I will say I watched a Millennial Comic last night (needed respite from like, Dexter and Breaking Bad) and she wasn't DREADFUL and actually had some useful things to say, etc.

Maybe they're waking up, but I'm sending mommy to a Long term care facility if she brings it up again, for EVERYONE'S safety, not just hers. LOL..

Anna

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
I had a perfect stranger come up to me while vaping on the street last summer and tell me, "You know vaping is more dangerous than smoking."....
This is where I usually just say "Have you ever thought about minding your own business?" and the conversation ends right there. That said, my appearance usually doesn't invite that sort of input in the first place.

Maybe they're waking up, but I'm sending mommy to a Long term care facility if she brings it up again, for EVERYONE'S safety, not just hers. LOL..
My parents are well into their 70's and the topic never comes up any more. Probably because I told them if they keep it up, their retirement home will be a shipping container.

container.jpg

2WhiteWolves

Oct 25, 2017
Tornado Alley
My mother, who has been nagging me to QUIT since I started at 18, that's more than TWO decades, folks!

Well, at one point she sat me down and said, "You know there's new research saying those things are dangerous."

Well, she got a face full of vapor, and a lungful of Fact.

I wouldn't have MINDED so much, but this lady used to be a computer programmer at the NIH for the Human Genome Project. Part of reaching that level of education includes, oh, comprehension of research methodology and etc. I am afraid I also told her that "further dumbing down in her old age will result in a quicker admission to a Long term Geriatric Residential Facility," and she did back the hell UP.

But, the fact is, "research" these days is just sort of "announced" and everyone's just HOPPING on board, forgetting things like the null hypothesis, the need for research to be planned and the fact that if the word "may" appears in ANY research publication, said research should be BURNED and said researchers should be sent to some sort of colony somewhere where they do not allow "research" and frankly I'm not OPPOSED to a little TORTURE here and there, because frankly what they are doing IS KILLING PEOPLE. Either via Ignorance or Purposeful Misdirection, and those are the type of sins that like, deserve a little torture.

I will say, she voted for Hillary TOO, but I'm not going to claim CAUSATION meaning voting for Hillary CAUSES a drop in IQ, necessarily, but I for SURE think that the very idea of Casting a Vote for a Clinton probably does require a sort of mental self injury in the logical part of the brain.

I will say I watched a Millennial Comic last night (needed respite from like, Dexter and Breaking Bad) and she wasn't DREADFUL and actually had some useful things to say, etc.

Anna
My mom was all for vaping then she started to listen to the twisted "truth" of the "news." I sat down with her explained everything, had her read a few documents, watch a couple of utube videos and thankfully she is now back on the train for vaping again.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
Vaping is just one of many things that ignorant people will pick on. The days have long gone when researching a subject was a prerequisite to becoming an expert on it. Sadly.
I will generally try and educate the nay sayers but keep an eye out for the 'brain shutters'. Once you see them sliding down you know it's time to give up.

I understand the need for people who consider themselves 'wholesome' to lecture anyone who doesn't live up to their ideals. That's their whole point. ;) I also understand smokers not liking vaping - it's easier than educating themselves and admitting to an addiction that will result in health issues or worse. What i don't understand is why people with no vested interest in vaping feel the need to lecture about it. Maybe i should change my user name to Misanth Rope..

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017
Educating people on the science of drugs and harm reduction - be they legal or otherwise - is kinda my forte. I have a degree in pharmacology and a history with depression and abuse of substances. No one who knows me has ever tried telling me that vaping is bad, but have sometimes asked things like "aren't those just as bad/worse than cigarettes?" and always left much better educated on nicotine and administration methods. People that don't know me have tried telling me they're worse and are always older than I am and clearly have very fragile ego's. Despite my methods of explaining things being very calm and not remotely patronising (a huge step away from teenage-me, chriiiiistttt), they always seem rather deflated after I explain my credentials and educate them.

One or two lost causes however object on the grounds of the naturalistic fallacy and I'll admit I am incredibly patronising towards those .......

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2015
Somewhere in the South
This is where I usually just say "Have you ever thought about minding your own business?" and the conversation ends right there. That said, my appearance usually doesn't invite that sort of input in the first place.

My parents are well into their 70's and the topic never comes up any more. Probably because I told them if they keep it up, their retirement home will be a shipping container.

View attachment 758483
upload_2018-8-3_17-32-20.jpeg

I really want one!:p

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
For me, everyone around me, friends and family are all trilled that I quit smoking and now vape.
Yep! In my case, the positive effects on my health were obvious within a week or two and none of my friends or family have any reservations about it at all. Most of them view negative stories about vaping as nothing more than further corroboration that much of the media is comprised of agenda-pushing hacks.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
@pvarck31 - Nope...you're not the only one who has stories like that. I'd bet that every vaper has similar ones to tell, or will have in the near future if they've not been vaping very long yet. I know I do...from conversations with a couple relatives, some longtime friends, some elderly neighbors I've known for 20+ years, etc. ALL of them have and/or had lots of wrong ideas and misinformation about vaping, ie. what vaping actually is, what eliquid is and is not made of, the differences between vaping and smoking, and on and on.

I can and do try to educate them about vaping and clear up anything they've heard or read that's wrong. But, with what's presented on TV, in newspapers, online, etc....it's an uphill battle to get them to believe everything I tell them about vaping. Most can understand and will believe some of it, but not all of it...yet.

Does it get under my skin sometimes, or frustrate me? Yes it does, especially when I know how much healthier I've become since quitting the smokes after 42+ years of them...when I started vaping almost 5 years ago. Do their comments make me think about quitting vaping? Nope...never, not at all. Many of those people will likely never fully understand vaping, and/or think it's better/healthier than smoking. So I've just got to do what I know is best for me, even if they don't understand it, nor see why I do it. :thumbs:
Most people still do not understand the smoking addiction/dependence so how are they to understand vaping? Our leaders at the FDA know about the chemicals in tar and the alkoloids and the MAOI's that BT adds to cigarettes but still the keyword 'nicotine' is what catching everyones' attention.

There are 2 battles being waged here and the FDA is the dog and pony show giving the haters what they want, so if the FDA says it, it must be right. SMH

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I am not around a lot of people but the ones that know me are all on board with vaping. Some of them were curious to begin with and I got the "but there is still nicotine in it" comment. Once I explain to them that it isn't the nicotine that kills they were all on board with it and were thrilled that I was able to make the switch so easily.

The one that got on my last nerve was when my new Dr. hit me with the anti-freeze comment. Needless to say I set him straight right then and there. Hopefully it opened his mind up enough to where he is now helping other smokers make the switch instead of convincing them it is bad for them.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I was at Wal-Mart today picking up a few things. A young man carried my potting soil out for me. We got to talking about age and he mentioned his mom and the fact that she would be 70 October 13th. Well I will be 70 October 14th so she and I are practically birthday twins. He told me she has COPD and it is bad enough to require oxygen. She still smokes. I let him know that I had switched to vaping almost 7 years ago after smoking for over 45 years. He said she tried vaping and it just wasn't the same as smoking. I said, well it really isn't but for me it is even better. I suggested he talk to his mom about the lady he met and how healthy she appeared to be. I really give most of the credit to vaping. I told him about the folks I have met online that had/have COPD and their symptoms have actually improved since they switched to vaping.

Normally I don't talk to anyone outside my friends and family about it but felt compelled to talk to this young man today. I hope it will make a difference for his mom. We each have to choose our battles and hope we can make a difference one person at a time.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I am not around a lot of people but the ones that know me are all on board with vaping. Some of them were curious to begin with and I got the "but there is still nicotine in it" comment. Once I explain to them that it isn't the nicotine that kills they were all on board with it and were thrilled that I was able to make the switch so easily.

The one that got on my last nerve was when my new Dr. hit me with the anti-freeze comment. Needless to say I set him straight right then and there. Hopefully it opened his mind up enough to where he is now helping other smokers make the switch instead of convincing them it is bad for them.

What really bothers me is that everyone knows that smoking can cause all sorts of diseases. Its been documented over and over.......how can anyone say they would prefer smoking over vaping is just beyond my understanding. I understand that we do not know if/how vaping may harm us, but it has to be less than smoking. Our own bodies react as if we no longer smoke at all. That's because we aren't, vaping is not smoking....We are no longer filling up on toxins and chemicals and tar and the proof is our own health improvements. How anyone can deny that, especially a Dr. is mind boggling. It just seems that common sense no longer exists and people will say anything to further their opinions.......:(

just my 2 pennies.

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
My mother nagged me about smoking for many decades, constantly saying how bad they were and that I should quit. She wasn't wrong of course, but her nagging was not an effective way of getting somebody to quit, because I smoked for decades, regardless of what anybody else said, including her.

The ironic part about the story is that when I finally did quit smoking, the nagging never went away, the subject matter just got replaced with something else. No longer was cig smoking the huge culprit and the big evil. I am now very fortunate to have to hear endless nagging about vaping and all of the harmful effects whenever I speak to her. I suppose that some people just have to nag, and even if things are perfectly fine and there's nothing to nag about, they'll invent something to nag about.

And my mom is a real expert on vaping, she gets 100% of all her information from the fake news. You'd think that vaping was 95% as harmful as cigarette smoking, just listening to her talk.

There are certain things that I just do not discuss with certain other people anymore. One of them is politics and I suppose that vaping is also there on the list, because there is an extreme amount of ignorance floating around and I simply have no time for ignorant people anymore.

Last edited:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
My Mom is almost 88, but she’s always been ahead of her time. When I started vaping, I wasn’t the first in the family, but I was the closest so she saw me easily transition.

“Gotta be better for you, you can tell by the smell!” She said.

She did mention that guy in Florida whose mod blew up, so I explained what I knew about that, and the difference in my gear and how I use it. Also told her about this forum, and how much I’ve learned here.

Honestly, I think she’s more concerned about me driving home (what, five blocks? Lol) from her house, because she always says be careful!

jdy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I smoked for over 40 years and have been vaping for over 4 years and I feel so much healthier now than when I smoked I will never go back, NO cigarettes ever again. After explaining vaping and my feeling healthier to some people, these people have still told me on multiple occasions that if something visible comes out of your mouth upon exhale then you are smoking.

The public as a mass sees it that way and many are just unwilling to change their view, it's like it's an engrained mental block. They have been conditioned from the smoking advertisements seeing the smoke upon exhale from a cigarette and they can't change that hypnotic view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread