Storing nic, base, flavoring and ejuice in cold - low temperatures limit? Help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonwalker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2012
Belgrade, Serbia
Hi guys,

I need a little help and all threads about this topic are at least one year old and with no final answer.

Anyway, I have some small amount of Nic (100mg), few liters of PG/VG (50-50%) 18mg Nic base and about 7-8 liters of ejuice (bottles of 1 and 0,5 liters, about 8 juices I usually use and a lot of flavorings (really a lot).

The problem is that I can not keep them in my flat anymore, it makes really strong smell. My girlfriend has problem with that and also pople who come to our place can smell it right away.

My idea is to put all that in big tool box and put it to my balcony.

Temperatures where I am at winter (now) go from 0 C (32 F) to -10 c (14 F).

Is it safe and ok to keep all mentioned things in that low temperature? I don't want to destroye that big amount of everything (money at the end)?

Every help is more than welcome.

Cheers,
Moon

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
I am not a "DIY-er" so I have no experience on this issue. But I've heard of a lot of people putting the nicotine in the freezer. Not sure about the PG/VG, though. Is it possible to lock it up somewhere else in your home? Something that would contain the odor from spreading all over your flat?

I wasn't aware that those liquids had such a strong scent just on their own.
Giving this thread a bump in case someone could help.

I would suggest moving this post to the DIY forum. Surely someone there will be able to answer this question.

HeadInClouds

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2013
Short answer: Yes, that is fine.
My PG, VG, nic base and flavorings are all stored at 0 degrees F, even colder than you mention, and they are fine. PG and VG actually *shrink* as they cool, rather than expanding as water does, so the bottles will not burst or be ruined. Do not be surprised to see that your PG does not freeze; freezing point is much lower than water's freezing point.

If you do this, be sure to allow time for supplies to warm up before making new mixes. VG is thick to begin with but becomes impossible to work with when cold.

Perhaps your most frequently used premixed stuff could stay inside if you put the bottles in recloseable zip-lock bags, then in the box. You can double-bag if needed, and as long as nothing is leaking, it will contain the smells of the flavorings. I keep some stuff inside this way.

GaryInTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2013
NE Texas, USA
I keep my nic base in the freezer but I would be concerned about the temperature variations. PG and VG will store well at room temp as well as your flavorings. I don't understand why you have a noticeable smell from your supply. If they are in well sealed glass bottles there should not be any odor from it. I have a small bottle of nic base, my pg/vg, and dozens of flavor bottles as well as finished juice in a kitchen cabinet and there is absolutely no smell in the room at all.

Moonwalker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2012
Belgrade, Serbia
Thank you for your answers. :) I am using Flavour Art and Perfumers Apprentice aromas. They are all in plastic bottles so the smell really goes out. I am DIY-ing for almost two years and I was used to that smell. It was only in my room and didn't boder anyone. Now I am living with my GF and she can't live with that odor. :p

P.S. From the first day I got my DIY supplies aromas I used had that strong odor which went out of bottles. It is not like something is wrong with this batch. :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
The smell, I am pretty certain is from the flavorings. They are CONCENTRATED...
I keep my flavorings tightly capped in their original bottles (not buying large quantities of anything yet) and those are inside a "toolbox" kind of container. And if I get near that box, I can smell them. It's not nasty, and it doesn't permeate the house or anything - but you've got a LOT, so I could see a problem. Still - if you could figure an airtight container for your flavors, I bet your NIC liquid would NOT be a problem, including your mixed juice.
In other words, I'd look for something airtight to hold your flavors.
You may still need to air out the room when you mix...

(The only complaint I ever got was when I used a little Acetyl Pyrazine - THAT stuff stunk up the house, and I only opened it, used like 2 ml and closed it!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread