Status
Not open for further replies.

Ever1ast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
SW FL Gulf Coast
I was originally going to post a review of the Baby Notta tanks from stormysvaporcellar.com But I think anyone viewing this tutorial will see that I'm a fan of these tanks and would recommend them gratuitously. So instead I decided to do a write up on how easy these are to assemble, fill, and use. I've tried a few different carto tanks now, and while each one has its merits, Stormy's offering stands out for 2 reasons: Durability and price. As Stormy herself points out, these may not be as flashy as some other tanks out there, but they'll definitely get the job done, and for a fraction of the cost.

(One quick note before I get started - while I'm not a modder myself, I can appreciate the thought and ingenuity that goes into alot of the products we as vapers use. I applaud Stormy for crediting the design of this tank on her website to the modders who originally designed it. I know of one of them here on ECF who gets a big :thumb: for sharing this design and via Stormy, making it available at an affordable price for us all)

I'll start with Stormy's description of whats included with every Baby Notta Tank:
Kit contents:
1-cartomizer with the slit needed (You can select your resistance for the carto)
1-Black Drip tip
1-6ml syringe w/needle
1-polycarbonate tube
2-gaskets
1-O ring

tut1.jpg

~~Before I go on I will mention that I've tried both the punch and the slit method in the cartos I've used, and I prefer the punch. The reason for this is I've been able to better control the wicking of the juice by altering the punch size- thinnner juice, smaller hole; thicker juice, larger hole. I simply substituted a punched carto in the Notta tanks I'd be using thicker juice in, and saved the slit ones for the thinner juices, which worked well.~~

Assembly:

First, fit the included o-ring around one of the grommets:

tut2.jpg

Next, drop both grommets into a cup of water and microwave them for 60 seconds. This serves to slightly soften them for insertion into the polycarb tubing.( I would recommend doing this to make it easier for a first timer; but I've also skipped this step and was still able to reassemble the tank with no problems. A little e-liquid on the grommets serves as a lubricant and helps them slide in easily.)

tut3.jpg

Next, take the grommet/o-ring combo, and slide it down over the carto from the top down towards the threads. Again, a little e-liquid as lube makes this process much easier. You'll want the grommet flush with the base as seen in the pics below. (Note: I've always prefilled my cartos before installing them in tanks, it's just easier that way)

tut4.jpg

tut5.jpg

Take your carto/grommet and insert it into the polycarb tubing on the opposite end from the filler hole in the tube.

tut6.jpg

I found pushing the grommet in by starting at one side and going around the edge in a circular fashion while applying pressure made it easy. Once again, a little juice on the grommet will help it along as well.

tut7.jpg

You'll want the bottom of the grommet to be close to flush with the bottom of the tube. They are forgiving though, so don't worry if you don't get it perfect.

tut8.jpg

Now that the base is assembled, the other grommet (no o-ring) will be used for the top seal.

tut9.jpg

The top grommet should fit close to flush like the bottom one did.

tut10.jpg

I've used two methods to fill my Notta Tanks. Via a syringe using the fill hole, and by partially removing the top grommet. Removing the top cap is quicker and takes less steps, but has the potential to make more of a mess if you're not careful. So for this tutorial, I'll outline the syringe method. Try not to overfill the tank or you'll create a leak when you push the top cap back on.

tut11.jpg

To fill with the syringe, you need to slightly pull up the top grommet right over where the fill hole is located. You only need to pull it up enough to fit the needle into the hole.

tut12.jpg

Once you've got the juice into the tank, you'll need to push the top grommet back into place.
TIP: This took me a few leaks to figure out: When you push the top grommet back into the tank, you're creating pressure in the tank that will force juice into the slit, and eventually out through the bottom of the carto. To avoid this - Don't push the top grommet the whole way back into the tank. Instead only push it down far enough that the rubber is slightly inside the tank wall. This will create enough of a seal to keep the juice from running out when you turn the tank upside down. Yes- upside down. The reason for this is you want the air that's trapped in the tank to be positioned in a bubble over the slit before you push the grommet the whole way in. By doing this, you'll only force air into the carto instead of juice and you'll hopefully avoid any leakage. It takes a little practice and it's not a perfect solution, but it will save you alot of leaks.

tut13.jpg

tut14.jpg

Insert your drip tip, thread it on your PV, and vape away. I've had my Notta tanks for around a month now and have yet to have a problem with any of them. I've changed cartos and flavors several times in each by simply taking the tank apart to clean it, and reassembling it with a new carto installed.

tut15.jpg

tut16.jpg

Here's a couple pics of the Baby Nottas on different PVs for size comparison:

tut17.jpg

tut18.jpg

tut19.jpg

debb

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2010
in the nj woods
great job..:)..I love my baby notta...:D..

...it is now leaking out of the carto ..anyone having that problem? filled it as stated above..I don't blame the tank...as I have this problem with a few of my tanks...I fill with a new carto and it works great...refills, the cartos leak from the batt end....:blink:

Ever1ast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
SW FL Gulf Coast
...it is now leaking out of the carto ..anyone having that problem? filled it as stated above..I don't blame the tank...as I have this problem with a few of my tanks...I fill with a new carto and it works great...refills, the cartos leak from the batt end....:blink:

I'd start by checking
a) your punch method - are you using a single punch? Some folks are double punching theirs, probably letting too much juice wick in. If you're using a single punch, you may need to use a smaller one- it does make a difference, especially with thinner juice.
b) are you making sure you're not forcing juice into the punch when you replace the top cap? If you don't put the bubble over the hole when you push in back into the tank you'll almost definitely get leaking

Ever1ast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
SW FL Gulf Coast
I mentioned above that I usually fill my Notta Tanks by partially removing the top grommet. Here's a couple pics to show how easy it is.

The only thing you'll need is something to wedge between the tank wall and the grommet to pry it up a bit. I use the awl from my leatherman since its thin, but doesn't have a sharp edge to scratch the tank.

100_9665.jpg

100_9666-1.jpg

100_9667.jpg

Once you get it up this far, you can use a fingernail to pull it up the rest of the way .

100_9668.jpg

100_9669.jpg

You don't have to remove the grommet the whole way, but you can if you need to. I usually only pull them about half way out to fill.

100_9670.jpg

Once you're done filling, press the grommet back into place following the directions above - start at one side and work your way around. Don't forget to put the bubble over the punch hole before you press it the whole way in.

100_9672.jpg

100_9673.jpg

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
I have a similar homemade tank but I have my fill hole just below the top cap. I then use a carto plug in the hole and this makes for simple filling. I drilled the hole so the plug is a press fit, it does seal and when you take a vape the suction pulls it inward. I also take a very small piece of scotch tape and just put it over the plug if I'm going out sometimes.

Ever1ast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
SW FL Gulf Coast
I have a similar homemade tank but I have my fill hole just below the top cap. I then use a carto plug in the hole and this makes for simple filling. I drilled the hole so the plug is a press fit, it does seal and when you take a vape the suction pulls it inward. I also take a very small piece of scotch tape and just put it over the plug if I'm going out sometimes.

I've been looking for some type of silicone plug to use that would work like a carto plug, but be reliable enough not to have to worry about it. This place makes some that would work but they're a bulk distributor, I'd have to figure out where to buy just a couple pieces: StockCap - Plastic Caps and Plastic Plugs

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Here ya go Debb,,,, this is a 15ml syringe with maptank top & bottom caps, the plug is from a reg carto. Like I said I drilled the hole so the carto plug is snug and I just push it in and turn till it's snug. Haven't had a drop come out yet. I do sometimes put a piece of scotch tape over it if I leave the house with this mod just in case but that's rare, this one stays on my desk most of the time. The Mod is the original Beta Empire Mod from my pal Keith over at Empire, one of the first ever made in Beta stage.:2cool:

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
My idea was my idea and that's that, I dont go to VF and never saw what anyone else did there not my kind of place to hang out, only know what I have done to my own tank with MY own idea !!! Sometimes people come up with the same Ideas also WillyB this plug wasnt brain surgery by any means.

Last edited:

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Deb, another way I'm going to do next is a hard plastic screw with a very small flat rubber washer behind the head of the screw next, gotta head down to the hardware store, this will work even better I think. I have seen people using metal screws but haven't seen a clear hard plastic one with a washer behind it so I'm shooting for that next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread