The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Straight up Antifreeze in our vapor...more bias reporting.

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by mano932, Feb 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. mano932

mano932 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 15, 2011
    Maine, USA
    from the link below.... A random sampling of electronic cigarettes has found traces of antifreeze, toxic chemicals and known carcinogens.
    WLBZ2.com | Bangor, ME | New York considers e-cigarette ban

wow now its straight up antifreeze in there. No one ever mentions the 100% VG thing either. I will be emailing the reporter. I also now a reporter personally that works for the same company. I'm trying to put together some info for him to look at.I am in the process of converting his wife of 30 some odd years of smoking to vaping. So i'm hoping to get him just as inflamed as me over this whole issue. It starts with one positive media report.

2. tobarger

tobarger Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 28, 2010
    NorthCoastOhio
    The anti-news media strikes again

3. MsOceanCity

MsOceanCity Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 7, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm so sick of the media re-hashing the same old misinformation. The study they are referring to was years ago and only included 2 or 3 companies' products.

4. MitchellBeans

MitchellBeans Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 11, 2009
    In other news, a random sampling of bored 'journalists' finds that on any given day, 99.9987% of them will make up flat out lies or twist the facts so much that the truth becomes a lie. Yay!

5. n2xe

n2xe Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Owego, NY
    This story is a direct lift from the one that aired in Albany last week. Most people won't read past first 3 paragraphs and I like the quote about this legislation killing people. And it does say "trace amounts" of antifreeze which is accurate.

6. mark40511

mark40511 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2009
    Lexington KY
    As I sit here right now listening to Howard Stern on Sirius talking to Gary the Retard who is coughing; Howard was asking Gary if he's still smoking and Gary said he's using E cigs. Howard says to him, "those are dangerous, if you're going to smoke you should be using regular cigarettes, not the ecigs and they are pure poison!" I couldn't believe he said that. ...

7. MsOceanCity

MsOceanCity Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 7, 2009
    New Jersey
    hmmm...well, Howard hates Rush Limbaugh and will take the opposit stance on anything he is touting. Rush endorses and uses e-cigs, so, there ya go!

8. Jennie O

Jennie O Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 1, 2011
    N Texas
    Are they considering the PG to be anti freeze?? Because that was the first words out of my ex sis in law's mouth when i said the word propylene glycol..."We used that to de ice planes when I worked for United!" Food grade, not the same thing.

Propylene glycol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

9. Java_Az

Java_Az Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 29, 2010
    Colorado
    PG is used in antifreeze. What they leave out is it is used in the newer Non Toxic Antifreeze. Ethylene Glycol is used in the old poisonous Anti freeze. But yeah they seem to conveniently leave out the non toxic part when saying it is used in antifreeze.

10. CritterBuddy

CritterBuddy Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Good link, Jennie O!

I hate reporters who try to "make" news rather than just report it. Okay, here's what I tell friends when they bring up the antifreeze scare.

Ethylene glycol is used in antifreeze. I use propylene glycol just like you have in your toothpaste, deordorant, and many foods. This usually does the trick.

11. devnull71

devnull71 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 16, 2010
    San Mateo, CA
    Let's hope they don't find out about the Dihydrogen Monoxide!

12. tobarger

tobarger Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 28, 2010
    NorthCoastOhio
    Good point
    Its coming

13. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Propylene glycol replace ethylene glycol in most antifreezes because EG has a sweet taste and animals love to lick it up. It's deadly to dogs and other animals. People would leave antifreeze in a pan for stray dogs they wanted to be rid of. Radiators would overflow and animals would lick it off the pavement and die.

PG in antifreeze is a good thing. It's there because it is safe. Check the labels on your home products and foods. It's in toothpaste and sno-cone juice! It's used as a thickening and texturing agent. Would the FDA allow it in your toothpaste if it were harmful? Well, maybe, but it's there.

http://www.propylene-glycol.com/food.html#

14. zara1269

zara1269 Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 21, 2010
    Ohio
    I heard that this morning and I was very disappointed in Howard. I thought he was for cutting edge technology. Probably because he is a former smoker and is jealous b/c he didn't get a cool and easy way to quit smoking. :)

15. Jennie O

Jennie O Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 1, 2011
    N Texas
    I've been a Howard Stern fan for many many years, so that makes me sad too. I can't believe people would assume Ecigs are more or as dangerous as tobacco cigs just off the cuff like many do. And to tell him to go back to cigs?? Insanity!

16. Sassyonemeis

Sassyonemeis Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 15, 2011
    Albany NY
    I believe it's DIETHYLENE GLYCOL in antifreeze??

The FDA report stated it found DEG (diethylene glycol) in one sample tested.

What the FDA failed to state is, DEG is found in tobacco cigarettes at much higher levels than found in the one sample they tested.

17. beetlespin

beetlespin Guest

Oct 22, 2010
    Al
    uses

Diethylene glycol is used in the manufacture of unsaturated polyester resins, polyurethanes and plasticizers.[1] DEG is used as a building block in organic synthesis, e.g. of morpholine and 1,4-dioxane. It is a solvent for nitrocellulose, resins, dyes, oils, and other organic compounds. It is a humectant for tobacco, cork, printing ink, and glue.[5] It is also a component in brake fluid, lubricants, wallpaper strippers, artificial fog solutions, and heating/cooking fuel.[1] In personal care products (e.g. skin cream and lotions, deodorants) DEG is often replaced by selected diethylene glycol ethers. A dilute solution of diethylene glycol can also be used as a coolant; however, ethylene glycol is much more commonly used. Most ethylene glycol antifreeze contains a few percent diethylene glycol, present as an inadvertent byproduct of ethylene glycol production.

18. breaktru

breaktru Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I read the article about the anti-freeze too. Can't believe those jerks..

19. HzG8rGrl

HzG8rGrl Trippy Tip Hoarder Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 11, 2009
    *The Swamp*
    :pIf I am putting antifreeze in my body then why do my bones lock up so much in the cold.:lol:

20. The Big Chief

The Big Chief Moved On ECF Veteran

Dec 14, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Funny they've never discussed that other ingredient found in both e cigs and antifreeze....water. Its a matter of time till SOMEONE finds out :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.