Stress induced habit behaviors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassyonemeis

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2011
Albany NY
ok... so I had an extra stressful day today. My dear son, 12 years old was a sweetheart and had dinner on the table when I returned home, what a nice treat! So after I ate, I found myself reaching for a cigarette!! UGH!! I havent smoked or had any cigarettes in the home, or even had a desire for a cigarette for 2 months now. I was shocked that I even had a moment, as subconscious as it may have been, that I would be reaching for something that hasnt been there in months. Now I'm not saying I'm craving a cigarette, just that I was reaching for one in the spot where they were usually kept when I did have them. The combination of stress and that old after a meal smoke just took hold in a big way today ... bleck @ the thought!

Has this happened to anyone else??

I can totally understand what you mean, except that in my case it actually gets to cravings... stress does do that.

Since i don't smoke or vape (you may have seen my "Am i crazy?" thread in the newbie forum), my brain then switches to uncontrolled snacking, so i go thru bags of hard candy and whatever nuts or trail-mix i have, like a swarming locust :oops:

They say it does go away with time, but i can't say so myself

-[Arsenic] :)

tenzip

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
Lincoln, NE, USA
After almost 2 months, I still find myself reaching for my smokes in the pickup. I kept them in the cup holder in the armrest. I don't keep the PV's there, as they stick up a bit, and I might give it a whack with my elbow. They go in the (well cleaned) ashtray instead.

My other "smoking spot" is not an issue anymore, I don't go out in the garage much anymore, and certainly don't sit in my "smoking spot" in the garage.

If I do have a craving, I just vape like a fiend until it goes away.

TNT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
York, PA
I still have stressful moments where I fondly recall how cigarettes magically relieved that stress. Then I remember they didn't.

I don't know why I think they did, but for some reason, I occasionally do. All that really happened when I was stressed was I'd quit the "put one out and light up another" routine in favor of just lighting the new one with the last ember of the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread