Strongly debating on trying out a vape, could use help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2018
Racine,WI
So I've been a smoker for 8 years, I tried a patch, nicorette gum and chantix. None of which worked. I realized I need that hand to mouth sensation so I really think vaping would be perfect, my first question would be what would be a good starter. I see so many different kids from pens,boxes( I think are called mods?)to a diamond shaped thing. Honestly that' the only discouraging thing that has me weary of trying it, there' literally so many different kinds,shapes and sizes. I do not want to waste money trying them all out. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thankyou guys!

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Welcome to ecf.

Tell us a bit about your smoking habit, i.e. what type do you smoke,(nic strength) how much do you smoke?
What type of look in ecig gear are you looking for? i.e. pen style(slim like a cigarette?) box mod? small, med size.
Price range you are looking to spend?

All of these things can help us to help direct you.

The genius of ecigs does encompass all of the aspects of the smoking addiction. Behavior, visual, social, nic dependence, etc.

:)

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
hi. hope you can make the switch. a few routes you can go down. pods are convenient but generally more expensive. i'd steer clear of them but that's just me.
a pen/stick type device that uses separate coils and you fill with liquid like the ego AIO
$17.63 Authentic Joyetech eGo AIO 1500mAh E-Cigarette Starter Kit - 2ml / 0.6ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
when i started vaping i, like many others, used an istick pico. this too uses separate coils and liquid but also needs a battery unlike the ego.
$36.83 Authentic Eleaf iStick Pico 75W TC VW APV Box Mod Kit - 2ml / 0.6ohm / 1-75W / 100-315'C(200-600'F) / 1*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
just two suggestions and i'm sure others will give you more info but neither of these will break the bank.
best of luck.

AnTi90d

Mar 13, 2018
www.reddit.com
So I've been a smoker for 8 years, I tried a patch, nicorette gum and chantix. None of which worked. I realized I need that hand to mouth sensation so I really think vaping would be perfect, my first question would be what would be a good starter. I see so many different kids from pens,boxes( I think are called mods?)to a diamond shaped thing. Honestly that' the only discouraging thing that has me weary of trying it, there' literally so many different kinds,shapes and sizes. I do not want to waste money trying them all out. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thankyou guys!

I smoked menthol 100s for 20 years. I quit in the middle of last year after a long time of struggling with it. Vaping has helped me remain smoke free for almost nine months, now; that's something that the gum could never do for me.

First, a lot of the vaping starter kits are direct lung. You hit them like a hookah or ..... Smoking is mouth to lung, in that you suck and store it in your mouth and then inhale.

Innokin makes a Zenith and a Goby starter kit for MTL, as well as the older Endura T18 and T20s. I've heard the Enduras have leaking problems. Aspire makes a Nautilus tank, but I can't remember if they have it in a kit. I've heard the Nautilus X leaks and the Nautilus 2 was a disappointment to most people I've talked to. Joyetech makes the ECO AIO, but I've heard its tiny coils burn out rather quickly. Pod systems that you can refill with your own juice are something you can go with, but IDK anything about their coil lifespans.

Try searching around for MTL starter kits, as that's what makes the transition away from smoking easier. I MTL vaped for the first few months, then moved up to rebuildable tanks, large mods and direct lung (DTL) vaping.

Storm52

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
Shreveport, LA
Welcome to the forum and your initial journey into the world of vape. Aspire Breeze is a simple, all in one device. You choose your liquid, fill and vape. It isn't a huge cloud, direct lung device that are normally pushed by vape shops to new users. There are, too numerous to mention, others that will fit a wide range of budgets and styles.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If you're concerned how it will work for you a pod mod is a reasonable first test. Many of us started with a cigalike and the newer pod mods are superior. Yes they're expensive over the long term but if they do work you can get lots of other vape stuff down the road. There's a forum here devoted just to pod mods you may want to check out.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
There are lot of different directions you can go. Many new vapers like to smoke MTL style, with less vapor but higher nicotine and a smaller battery and etc. They tend to consume less ejuice an battery life if you are seeking something small and easy to start. The aspire zelos mod is small and portable and comes as a kit with the Nautilus 2 tank, (which was my quitting tank) and it worked. You will have more control over your vape (airflow, wattage, coil type, they make different resistances) and can try different things. The kind of eliquid you use will also make a difference, and you will likely require experimenting there. MTL vaping is usually between 12--24 m.g. (although some folks go higher). You can get sample "juices" from vendors in small amounts to try and see what you like.

With that said, there are newcomers who enjoy DL (direct to lung) sub0hm vaping right from the beginning. It's hard to know what will "suit" you until you try some things. You could get a two battery box mod, and then you can try different atomizers (toppers) to see what your preference is, and if it's MTL the worst thing that will happen using a larger mod with more battery life and just enjoy your lengthy battery life. Tons of good, fairly inexpensive setups on the market, and you could try both type of vaping. Due to the volume of vapor, DL style type vaping typically uses lower nicotine in the 3--9 mg/ml range, as you absorb more vapor per puff.

Finally, no matter what you choose, you will probably need to do some experimenting with both juice and equipment to find out what works for you. I had to do that, and did make some purchases along the way that weren't suited to my vaping, but sometimes it's just the only way to find out. It's unrealistic to think someone can find the "perfect" setup for you, as vaping is so individual. I will say, once you do vaping pays for itself rather quickly and if you find a setup or two that you like, you will rapidly begin saving money. I rolled my own tobacco so smoking was less expensive for me than many but if I count health costs I have saved tons of money (and even with rapidly amassing a large stash of vape gear, LOL). I also DIY my own juices, and that is a cost savings as well (plus, I enjoy it).

Welcome to ECF, and don't let the dizzying array of options turn you off, approach it like an exciting adventure! :)

Anna

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Hello Justin. Have you visited a vape shop yet? I would advise that you do so to get a close up look at your options and a hand feel for various setups. You don't have to buy to explore. If shop personnel try to hard sell you walk out.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
As tempting as they may appear, avoid purchasing a "cigalike" cigarette-sized battery unless you want to just try a disposable one. A battery that is only the size of a cigarette is just too WEAK and a waste of money in the long run.

images

Relatively new on the market are the Pod Mods. I've not tried one personally but I've heard good things about them. They are nearly idiot proof if you are looking for pure convenience and ease of use, and have a larger battery than a cigalike; but like cigalikes they are expensive to use in the long run.

images

Many vets here recommend a regulated mod like the eLeaf/iStick Pico. Larger more powerful battery should last you all day. Larger juice device (tank) should last you all day. Still pocket-friendly. Just slightly more complicated to use than a cigalike or pod mod.

directvapor-istick-pico-mod_2__1.png

No matter what you end up choosing as your first vape setup, you are more than likely to end up with a few mods over the next 3 - 4 years. Everyone needs a backup setup (Vape setups break down at the most inconvenient times; don't give yourself an excuse to buy another cigarette once you've quit). Plus, none of us really knew what style of vaper we would be in the beginning or what kind of setup would work best for us until we had used it. And many of us move on to another style after a period of time.

Hopefully the following blogs will help you make a wise decision:

Last edited:

Justin L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2018
Racine,WI
WOW, was not expecting such amazing support. That is awesome!! Thankyou guys, truly thankyou. I’m a menthol smoker (Newport) but have been buying filters and tobacco and just rolling my own lately (cheaper). I’m not a chain smoker but I do go through about 15-20 a day.
Today I went and bought this 13$ v2 that has 3 refillable cartridges and I totally love ALL THE FLAVORS that deliver nicotine as well. Vaping really is innovative. A couple things I don’t like about this v2 is
1. I have to suck so hard just to get a tiny hit
2. Even with that tiny hit it literally kills my throat.
3. I think I burned my tongue 4-5 times today (maybe hot juice)?
I have done some research on mods because it’s what I see a lot of people using so figure go with the crowd right?(Maybe that’s why I was always in trouble in school LOL) but what I can’t figure out is why do these mods have temperature control what exactly is the point.
I don’t have a real deal vape store near me just a couple ghetto tobacco stores that sell some e juice,glass pipes, tobacco etc. so I don’t have the convenience to go and try some out or talk to them in person.

Celt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2018
USA
Justin I understand completely. A few weeks ago none of the vaping "lingo" made any sense to me at all. I am also trying vaping to get away from smoking. I also got my toe in the water with "pod" devices (for me a Kandypens Rubi and Feather).

I'm glad that you found this forum, there is so much information here, as well as great people to help you. To try to answer your question:

The reason some mods have temperature control (often referred to as TC) is to have the ability to set a desired temperature that you want to vape at, rather than setting it to an amount of Watts. The advantage in using TC is that it can give a more consistent vape, can prevent an overheated coil if the wick has run dry of e-liquid, and can extend the life of your coil and wicking.

I said "can" rather than "will", because it takes some learning to make sure you have the right coil, and the right use of your mod settings to make it work well. Personally so far I am using both Watts and TC modes depending on what I am using. Hope this helps.

I hate to say it but the V2 you mentioned that is killing your throat and biting your tongue, that sounds like a poorly designed device. Ask some opinions on options, and there is a section on this forum on pod devices you can order.

As far as not having a good vape shop nearby, between this website and others, and the ease of ordering from online vendors, it's nothing that should stop you from getting what you need and finding success vaping.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If a V2 can satisfy your then investing in vaping makes sense. I would not advise you to start worrying about features like temperature control right now. I'd concentrate on not smoking and finding juice flavors you like.

A step up from a pod would be a mod and tank. I would advise a mod with a replaceable battery so one, you can switch batteries if you're running low and two, you don't have to worry about an otherwise perfectly good mood becoming useless when the internal battery will no longer hold a charge. I'd also buy an external battery charger as you can charge more than one at a time and are more reliable than in mod charging (usually better charging circuit and no wear and tear on the USB port on the mod).

Next is kit, which includes a tank with the mod, or buying them separately. BTW mods will generally allow you to use any tank from any manufacturer with it so you're not limited to one brand as long as it will physically fit (most mods will take tanks up to 25 mm diameter or more, but a few limit you to 22 mm tanks).

The question now is what's your budget?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... I do not want to waste money trying them all out. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thankyou guys!

Hi Justin. Welcome to the ECF.

Just Curious. But how much are you Smoking now? And How Much are you spending on Smokes per day?

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
I agree with your thinking. I recommend: Kanger Evod Starter Kit could be the best two for one offer out there. You get two complete mods which gives you an emergency backup.
Authentic Kanger Evod Ecig Starter Kit
Kanger EVOD Starter Kit - Authentic Kangertech™ - Vapor Authority
For general knowledge might like to read:
https://spinfuel.com/new-vapers-start/
http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/a...tte-college-guides-tutorials-information.html
Beginner – Guide To Vaping
http://vapingcheap.com/vaping-101/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...up-the-vaping-ladder-with-egos-and-mods.5058/

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Vaping is a technique that takes a bit to learn to do properly or you'll have a crappy experience. DON'T pull then inhale on the vape like a smoke or you'll cough and/or pull juice into your mouth, let the hitter do the work and suck slowly and consistently. Once you learned the technique of vaping then dump the crappy stick, buy a decent hitter with 2 external 18650 batts and a good atty. Unless your planning to rebuild coils then be careful of what atty your buying cause some replacement heads are mighty expensive. Researching your vape buys will save you plenty of grief finding out after that you bought a lousy product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread