struggling to give up analogues

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I started vaping today with one of those e Generation 650 batteries, a vivi nova type cart and a high blueberry flavor juice. perhaps I don't like sweet, I have chocolate here I could try and got some tobacco flavor coming in the mail, it's not all lost, I went from about 2 packs to about a little over a pack today. I'm having a hard time completely switching over to vape from analogues as they are called or traditional cigarettes as many newbies will know them.

any tips on this? just forget the analogues and vape a lot until you don't want a traditional tobacco plant material? maybe I should have patience and one day at a time, don't sweat it? I still have a lot of work to do, got another kit coming in the mail, it's basically day one with real vaping.

question is how long before you veterans have found yourself off analogues? I have a carton here of traditional cigarettes that are talking to me, lol!

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
My best advice is order a bunch of sample packs of juice from alot of different vendors. Get some in flavors you can't imagine wanting too. I thought I was going to want tobacco and it turns out fruits are where it is at for me. THe samples let you try lots of things for a small investment. Then when you find something you like buy a bigger bottle. Those you don't like tuck away for a few weeks. Your tastes will change as your sense of taste and smell come back. Also some juices get better with age (its called steeping).

ALso what nic level did you get in your juice? Being that heavy a smoker it might not be high enough to satisfy your needs.

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
Some people take longer then others do. Don't beat yourself up about it. Every cig not smoked is a success. What nic level are you using? What kind of cigs did you smoke? Your nic level may be to low. Also it can take a good while to find a liquid that you love. That makes a huge difference in the want to vape. Keep your head up and remember it doesn't have to happen overnight.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I'm no veteran- I quit smoking a little over 3 weeks ago. I weaned myself off of cigarettes. Cut down with BLU and VEA, got some really nice custom car seat covers, so I stopped smoking in my car- which is where I did half of my smoking. After about 3 months of not smoking in my car, I got my current setup, and quit within 5 days. That last cigarette, I threw out after a couple drags. The smell and taste were just disgusting after 5 days of vaping from a good setup. Haven't looked back since. I now find I smell cigarettes much more than I used to, and they don't appeal to me whatsoever.
You don't have to plan or think about not smoking ever again, just for the rest of the day. If you think you can, throw out your cigarettes, so its not so easy to go back. Also, try a lot of flavors. I have found some of the flavors I thought I would never like are constantly in my daily rotation.
Good luck!

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
My best advice is order a bunch of sample packs of juice from alot of different vendors. Get some in flavors you can't imagine wanting too. I thought I was going to want tobacco and it turns out fruits are where it is at for me. THe samples let you try lots of things for a small investment. Then when you find something you like buy a bigger bottle. Those you don't like tuck away for a few weeks. Your tastes will change as your sense of taste and smell come back. Also some juices get better with age (its called steeping).

ALso what nic level did you get in your juice? Being that heavy a smoker it might not be high enough to satisfy your needs.

I completely agree with this. Smoked Marlboro Menthols and Pipes for years. Turns out I can't stand tobacco ejuice (or at least haven't found one yet that I like) but I love fruits and bubblegum flavors. One piece of advice you'll see a lot is buy two ecig batteries. That way you don't get the urge to smoke while you are charging up your ecig.

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
Smoke that Caron if u wish, most finish off any supply they have some don't. Remember Vapeing is NOT a cessation program it's an alternative. Your personal case well vary from others. Took me 1 week haven't had a cig since.

I wanted to give up cigs, not just part time but forever.... My mind was ready and so was my will.

I started at 24 nic I'm now at 18 and don't care if I get lower, I'm init to win it.

Be patient u well find your Vapeing point.

I picked up a DEUCE-CIG blueberry at a high level, been smoking that most of the day. Also got a chocolate here, but haven't tried it yet. I want to just burn off the blueberry in this cart and try the chocolate, but I am not sure if that's the correct way to do it. funny thing I noticed a bit of my taste come back I was doing good, once I charged up the battery up again had some traditional cigarettes, the taste and smell I regained went away. I smoke about 2 packs a day of analogues (Winston Reds), this is going to be some trip I have to say. I have a tobacco flavor and a cotton candy blueberry mix coming, something about the earthy flavor is getting to me with the analogues, I have absolutely no experience with this, I think I like the earthy tobacco taste myself, going to see what happens, by the time I get my other kit and flavors I'll have 4 flavors from two different companies, with two kits.

I think it's about flavor right now I believe, not a candy type.

Thanks for the support, I'll figure this out.

spegtoast

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 20, 2013
NW Ohio
You got it! Don't sweat it. Some do take longer than others. Some say a week some longer. You will see too that just after quiting the analogs that juices will tast different once your tastbuds change after getting completely off the analogs. Keep those old juices around.. You might like them later. Smoke up that carton while you still have the taste for them! It wont be long and you will likely have a hard time choking them things down. Best of luck!

My mouth startes to water when you mentioned the earthy flavor of the tobacco flavor. If your like me you will find no better natural tobacco flavor than when your not puffing it through a nasty cotton/ chemical filter like on those Winstons. Like said before. I quickly went to fruity flavors as well, but have a honey cigar juice when I get in the mood.

Last edited:

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
I completely agree with this. Smoked Marlboro Menthols and Pipes for years. Turns out I can't stand tobacco ejuice (or at least haven't found one yet that I like) but I love fruits and bubblegum flavors. One piece of advice you'll see a lot is buy two ecig batteries. That way you don't get the urge to smoke while you are charging up your ecig.

I also agree. I thought I needed cigarette-like flavors after 45 years of analogs, but discovered much to my amazement, that i prefer fruits and (heaven forbid) menthol...

as you may have already gathered tips on how to quit are all over the map. what worked for one may not work for another. just don't sweat it. you don't need the additional pressure.

what has worked for me so far is spending a small fortune on vaping equipment in a short amount of time. i'm such a cheap S.O.B. that the thought of the agony of wasting all that money is far worse than any analog cravings.

Did I mention that I don't recommend this particular tip? :)

Ahoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Philly
As others have stated already...quitting smoking, especially at the amount you smoked, is going to take some time. Slowly cut back, Go from 2 packs to a 1 1/2 packs, then to 1 pack, then to a 1/2 pack then a 1/4 pack and then hopefully NONE!

Don't expect instantaneous results, as that is a far fetched thought. It isn't instantaneous for everyone, for some yes, but for most it is not.

Don't give up!

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Take your time and don't sweat it. I vaped and smoked for 6 weeks until cigarettes tasted like crap to me! LOL If you are missing tobacco flavor, you could try Halo's Longhorn ejuice, it tastes so much like a cigarette I can't vape it. But would be great for the transition period. Also Halo's Tribeca is great and what I used for quiting. Here is webpage- Halo Also use a higher level nic in am, then reduce nic a bit at noon and vape even lower nic at night. That helps you sleep :) Good luck and don't sweat it. bnrk

As others have stated already...quitting smoking, especially at the amount you smoked, is going to take some time. Slowly cut back, Go from 2 packs to a 1 1/2 packs, then to 1 pack, then to a 1/2 pack then a 1/4 pack and then hopefully NONE!

Don't expect instantaneous results, as that is a far fetched thought. It isn't instantaneous for everyone, for some yes, but for most it is not.

Don't give up!

Thanks for the feedback, I cut down a lot so far in just one day. Patience, I need some of that. In this world of instant gratification I realize that patience is the key with this, I appreciate the note.

the revelation that I regained taste, smell and some breathing capacity after about an 8 hour break from analogues is good enough to keep me going, whether a setback or a few, I'll continue. Thanks

ennagizer

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2013
South Florida, USA
Thanks for the support, I'll figure this out.

Yes, you will. Everyone here knows what you're going through and will give you great support.

Here's my story if it helps:
25 year menthol smoker. Generally about a pack a day, sometimes less, sometimes more. The day I got my kit I had one pack with 15 analogs left. I nursed them over the next week, having 2-3 a day while getting used to vaping. I'd have 1 or 2 in the morning and maybe 1 at night until they were gone. Other than those times, whenever I wanted a smoke I would vape and within a couple of minutes I was satisfied. Each day got a little easier. Been 9 weeks so far and I haven't had an analog in 8 weeks.

Now, I'm not going to BS anyone - there are times I still want a smoke, usually in the mornings. You know what? If I had one in front of me right now I'd probably smoke it. But, I'm content with the vaping and the way I feel healthwise is so much better than when I was smoking. Last week I had a very aggravating day and pulled up to a gas station to buy a pack. But, I took out the PV & started vaping before getting out of the car. I felt very proud of myself that day as it was a great accomplishment - an accomplishment only the people here could understand.

Bottom line - you will figure it out, at your own pace. Don't hate yourself for lighting up and nobody here is going to judge you for it either - everyone here knows what it's like. I've read this line here many times "it's not what you smoke, it's what you don't smoke." Every day it will get a little easier with vaping.

I just got tired of all the rules, regulations, bias and annoying head chatter that goes on about smoking analogs. I live in Calif. and you can't have a smoke anywhere within 50 feet of an office building. If you're in a bar or a restaurant, you get relegated to the patio or some makeshift area near the trash bins outside. If someone sees you having one on the street, they walk by and "cough," or make a rude comment. If you travel; smoking rooms are disgusting compared to non-smoking. They don't clean them properly and they truly smell -- not just of tobacco. I hated the way my car, clothes and hair smelled. There were so many reasons why I quit. The e-cigs worked best for me because I was ready. I was tired of all the Bull........ and that's before we even start talking about the cost of analogs. Think about these things. It might make you have a little more motivation.

SASmith

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
Abbotsford, B.C. Canada
Hi Bullethead, I think you had a great success today, from two packs to one pack, a 50% reduction in one day, wowzer! I was also a two pack a day smoker and haven't had an analog since April 19th, I started at 24 mg nic juice and go between 24 and 18 now. I found that while the tobacco flavors do not taste like a traditional cigarette, I still like some of them. The first juices I had were Ice Cappuccino and a tobacco flavor. Ice Cap was too sweet and tobacco didn't taste like tobacco, so I mixed them filled up half my viva nova with Ice Cap and the rest with tobacco, it cut down on the sweetness and I managed until I ordered more flavors. As mentioned earlier, order some samples until you find something you like. Don't beat yourself up if you need to supplement the vaping with an analog, eventually you'll find you are smoking less and vaping more. Once you start vaping more than smoking, I suggest you have backups, several clearomizers or tanks and several batteries, I usually switch flavors during the day so I need several clearomizers hanging around, when I think about having an analog, I switch flavors and that seems to work. It took me a little while to find the flavors and equipment that worked for me, that part can be frustrating but hang in there. Everyone here is very supportive and you will get all the advice you will need. Congrats on your success today, welcome to the forum and enjoy your vape!

MrRaider

Sep 21, 2012
Tampa, FL
When I started vaping I continued to sparingly smoke analogs for a couple weeks. A few days of vaping would go by without an analog and I'd start wondering what a smoke would taste like so I smoked one. That happened a few different times. Then I decided smoking really was inferior. Smoked the rest of my pack and haven't looked back! Good Luck!

potmilkz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southern California
some people just dont have that ability to just quit cold turkey and move on to ecigs.. for hardcore smokers.. (2 pack a day smokers) it usually takes transition.. slowly decreasing your cigarettes and slowly increasing your vaping.. for some people it may happen faster..

i went from cigs to full time vaping in 2 weeks.. it wasnt hard for me but sometimes you just got to say no to the cig and grab your ecig and just take a vape.. resist the urge to pick up that cig.

xjonquilx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2013
FL
Some things that helped me quit:

- setting a quit date (somehow easier to quit when you have a specific date to quit planned so you can prepare yourself mentally for it), then preparing for it by thoroughly cleaning my home (so I wouldn't smell old cigarette smoke), storing ashtrays/lighters/etc. out of sight (out of sight, out of mind)
- starting out with 36mg juice instead of the standard 24mg... the extra nicotine helped make up for withdrawals from the lack of tar (which is just as if not more addictive than the nicotine itself in cigs) and also gave closer "instant gratification" to that of a cig
- ditched all my cigarette packs and opted in for buying singles if I couldn't stand the cravings any more (kept me from smoking more than I absolutely had to in order to quit)
- used an APV (advanced personal vaporizer) instead of a cigalike (the e-cigs that look like real cigs)... the APVs give a lot more vapor similar to how much smoke a cig gives, are cheaper to maintain, and don't require constant refilling/recharging

Something else you may try is buying juice with tar in it or adding tar to the juice you buy. Makes the cravings a little more tolerable, but at the cost of knowing with the tar you're adding more addictive substances + more health risks.

Also it's good to remind yourself that it doesn't matter how many cigs you smoke each day as long as you are continuing to steadily and slowly cut down the amount that you smoke.

Make sure beforehand that you know of at least three good flavors of juice that you like, including one that is similar to the tobacco brand you normally smoke (or that you consider better than what you used to smoke). That will come in handy when you get cravings for your old brand of cigs. The other two should be non-cig related that you like purely for their flavors alone. These will come in handy when the cig flavor starts to taste nasty to you... also helps you disassociate yourself from smoking if you vape them most of the time and leave the tobacco flavored one for only when you get cravings for your old brand of cigs.

Also, keep track of how much money you're saving as you cut down on cigs! This was a huge inspiration for me... to physically see how much money I was putting in to it was getting smaller and smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread