Stuck switch. Can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qtip

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Pikeville, KY
Hey Everyone

I have a stuck protege switch and have done all the troubleshooting to make sure it's the switch. But PS wants me to send it in and I'm really trying to avoid that as I've had bad experiences in the past. I'm willing to just buy a switch but they are out of stock and I'm without a PV.

Is there anyone out there with a spare tact switch that I could buy? I'd be willing to paypal 5 bucks or so plus shipping or whatever you think is fair.

If anyone could help I'd really appreciate it since I can't seem to talk Casey into sending me one :)

Thanks guys!
- Jon

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I know you are in a bad spot man. They have yet to make the extra switches available to anyone. So most users will not have an extra switch. I feel for you but they want the whole unit back to make sure they cure the problem since there are a couple of things that might cause that problem. You might put a new switch in there only to blow that one up too.

Good luck, hope you are back to vaping soon.

qtip

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Pikeville, KY
It's definitely just the switch as I replaced it with a friends switch and it works and mine doesn't work in his.

Also I tested it with a multimeter and it is passing current no matter if the switch is depressed or not. (and I tested a working switch to make sure I was doing it correctly)

I understand all the precautions but this is becoming unnecessarily inconvenient for a $2 part :)

The tact switches have been in stock and sold out a couple of times unless I'm mistaken so hopefully someone can help me. In the meantime I'll see if I can find one from Texas Instruments or somewhere :(

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
Maybe if I make a video of me metering the switch? I'm willing to go to that extent to avoid risking my baby in the USPS system.

Well you could just buy a tact switch from PS. The problem with that, or someone sending you one, is that it will probably stick again at some point for reasons no one seems to fathom.

The new LIMITED LIFE-TIME WARRANTY mechanical switch should be shipping sometime next week. Personally I would just order one of those and use a back up PV until it arrives. Might save you more grief further down the road.

qtip

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Pikeville, KY
Well you could just buy a tact switch from PS. The problem with that, or someone sending you one, is that it will probably stick again at some point for reasons no one seems to fathom.

The new LIMITED LIFE-TIME WARRANTY mechanical switch should be shipping sometime next week. Personally I would just order one of those and use a back up PV until it arrives. Might save you more grief further down the road.

I would love to just purchase a switch and bypass warranty but they aren't in stock and who knows when they will be. That's exactly why I was trying to talk Casey into letting me buy one of the switches they hold back for repairs.

As long as the switches are readily available I don't even mind if they have to be replaced ever so often. They are cheap and it's a 5 minute fix.

As for using a backup PV, I currently no longer have one and Im frantically trying to avoid going back to analogs because I haven't had a single one since my first puff of an ecig. Cmon Steve help a brutha out. Or at least let me know where I may be able to buy some elsewhere online. I couldn't find a match at Texas Instruments.

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
I would love to just purchase a switch and bypass warranty but they aren't in stock and who knows when they will be. That's exactly why I was trying to talk Casey into letting me buy one of the switches they hold back for repairs.

As long as the switches are readily available I don't even mind if they have to be replaced ever so often. They are cheap and it's a 5 minute fix.

As for using a backup PV, I currently no longer have one and Im frantically trying to avoid going back to analogs because I haven't had a single one since my first puff of an ecig. Cmon Steve help a brutha out. Or at least let me know where I may be able to buy some elsewhere online. I couldn't find a match at Texas Instruments.

Hmm...are you sure Casey didn't think you wanted to buy the whole switch assembly? The tact switch says it ships in 24-72hours. I take that to mean in stock.
http://www.puresmoker.com/product_p/tactswitch.htm

ALWAYS keep a backup....or three ;)

Last edited:

qtip

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Pikeville, KY
Hmm...are you sure Casey didn't think you wanted to buy the whole switch assembly? The tact switch says it ships in 24-72hours. I take that to mean in stock.
PureSmoker.com - Home of the USA Built PV !!!

ALWAYS keep a backup....or three ;)

Try to actually add it to your cart. You get the yellow triangle which means they're out. I've been trying to grab a few for backups for going on two weeks now with no luck.

qtip

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Pikeville, KY
Well at least I'm back up and vaping now. I just soldered in a huge radio shack tact that kinda dangles on the outside of the unit through the hole with the button housing removed. :) At least I'll have something to use until PS gets more switches in stock. Or at least until I can find a close enough match from somewhere else.

I'll post the location if I find one that is compatible or maybe even one that doesn't have this problem since it is becoming so widespread. Who knows it may only happen with the tacts from that specific manufacturer. *shrug*

qtip

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Pikeville, KY
Actually it hasn't made it in yet for some reason. But another ECF user who lives a bit closer to me sent one over so I could get back up and vaping. So actually as soon as yours comes in I can shoot it right back to you the same day.

I highly appreciate both of you that helped me. I would have gone back to analogs for sure if I had sent it in for warranty repair.

As far as installation goes I had no problem putting it in. It might have been a bit easier if I knew there was a video :) The only hitch I had was getting my solder sucker to remove the old solder so I just clipped it off with some snippers and filed away the old stuff.

I'm really cautious about trying the new mechanical switch until I actually try one. It looks like a much longer throw and I want to keep my stainless button, the new one looks like it will be black plastic/delrin.

Anywho, let me know if your address is different than what will be on the package and I'll turn it around to you as soon as USPS gets it here.

Thanks again!
- Jon

NekoGurrl

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Muskego, WI
Glad to see your back up and running, I did send mine in for warranty repair since I had backups. But really missing my baby. Today they put switches on sale just hope they are still available when I can order. I just bought their passthru that uses the same switch as well. But then so do both of my Prodigy's. The button and the surrounding metal piece seem to be aluminum, I took an emery board to the sharp points and they where gone in a couple seconds, stainless would have taken a little more work I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread