Student Marketing Project Survey on E-Cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. I'm currently a senior marketing student doing a research project on electric cigarettes. I would appreciate everyone's feedback as it will only take you about 10 - 15 minutes to complete my survey. All responses will be kept confidential and used for academic purposes and will help me graduate!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TMMXYLG

Thank you for your time!:)

IntelligentDesigner

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Done. You kinda neglected to offer any questions regarding the advanced models most of us here prefer. Compared to what we use (eGo, ViVi Nova, ProVari just to name a few), njoy and Blu both suck and it's going to be hard to get a positive review of any aspect of either from anyone more knowledgeable about e-cigs and personal nicotine vaporizers. But I did my part to take part in helping to market any option to tobacco cigarettes.

Best wishes with your results and gradiating and stuff.

Last edited:

redeyes24321

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2013
Colorado
Just took your survey and I just have a couple of suggestions. njoy and Blu, although we have all heard of them, are the cheapest POS on the market and most people here on ECF have either moved on from them or just passed right over them and are using much better equipment. Maybe you should have some more questions reguarding eGos and mods. Good survey though!

Just took your survey and I just have a couple of suggestions. NJoy and Blu, although we have all heard of them, are the cheapest POS on the market and most people here on ECF have either moved on from them or just passed right over them and are using much better equipment. Maybe you should have some more questions reguarding eGos and mods. Good survey though!

I understand that Blu and NJOY may not be the most valuable E-Cigs out there, but we found a problem with one of the four "P"s of marketing (product,place,price,promotion) and are trying to expose it through this survey and make hypothetical recommendations for one of the companies.

I appreciate all that take the time to fill this out.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
Your survey is not about Electronic Cigarettes as a whole, its ONLY about cig-a-likes which many of us here have very little experience with because they aren't the best the vaping world has to offer :) Having to answer every question only using your options to get to the next in some cases meant not picking an accurate answer because there was none, but there was no option except to pick one if one wanted to attempt to finish the survey for you.

IntelligentDesigner

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I understand that Blu and NJOY may not be the most valuable E-Cigs out there, but we found a problem with one of the four "P"s of marketing (product,place,price,promotion) and are trying to expose it through this survey and make hypothetical recommendations for one of the companies.

I appreciate all that take the time to fill this out.

Ah. OK. That's interesting. Well, hopefully the "P" that's wrong is the price. For a decent starter kit (as opposed to a disposable model) for a cig-a-like, those things are way too expensive. Considering there are much better products all over the place, cig-a-likes should be much much cheaper. Something like the disposables being only as much as one pack of cigarettes, because that's about all they really replace despite their extravagant claims. And the full fledged starter kits should only be about $25-30 for the premium edition. That might entice more people to try them and at least get them an introduction to vaping.

yotasavg

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Chico, CA
As someone who did a good amount of Marketing work (it was my minor) I'm curious which of the P's you found to be troublesome. I find more than one P troublesome with these brands. I do agree though, that from a marketing standpoint they do great. From an educated consumer standpoint (who knows about marketing) they do terribly.

Mariss716

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
WA
Took your survey, MBA grad and like many of us ECF snobs I don't know how much of a "typical" ecig user I am, in that I have graduated from V2 in the start to advanced devices including the Provari. The cig look alikes are what get the marketing dollars and were what probably introduced the majority of us to ecig technology.

I am curious as to what a random sampling of ecig users would show, if they stick with the cig-sized, move on to eGos, or what percent really do purchase advanced devices. And at what point (for example, after how many months) do they make these purchases? Companies want to know this kind of info, in deciding what products to make, how to market them, at what price point, and through what channels (which are the 4 Ps). I notice that even V2 has a beta clearomizer type device; ecig users are demanding more, and becoming more sophisticated. Perhaps what is our "niche" here at ECF is becoming more mainstream.

Of all the cig look-alikes, Blu at least uses 510s and Johnson Creek juices, and there are a lot of people on ECF who did well enough on Blus that they quit smoking, but were just looking for more in an ecig. I read the other brands like NJOY mentioned less. I'm sure now that Big Tobacco owns Blu, they will be pouring quite a bit into market research to understand the segment better!

I tried not to read too much into the purpose of your marketing project however and answered your questions honestly as they applied to me. Good luck with the project, I remember writing many on Survey Monkey and it can be like pulling teeth getting enough responses!

Last edited:
As someone who did a good amount of Marketing work (it was my minor) I'm curious which of the P's you found to be troublesome. I find more than one P troublesome with these brands. I do agree though, that from a marketing standpoint they do great. From an educated consumer standpoint (who knows about marketing) they do terribly.

We have a hypothesis that Blu's starter kit has a pricing problem compared to the market leaders' (NJOY and Krave) starter kits. Blu is more well known but has way less market share.

There are other problems with some of the P's but as you can imagine there are many strict government regulations on the products currently and recently Blu was purchased by Lorillard which is putting in alot of money to fix those problems.

Over_Stimulation

Moved On
Mar 10, 2013
Survey taken, honestly I've tried some of those products waste of time money and in the end the product that was actually suppose to make me stop smoking turned me back to smoking since the product rarely worked as intended.

I smoked 2 packs/day for 20 years, just tried one those products you don't like (V2) and it worked, done with cigs now, in the 2 weeks i've been hanging in this forum I've seen 100's just like me (most of us do upgrade into "real" vaping), but those products u claim are a waste of time and $ DO WORK for a lot of people...

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
We have a hypothesis that Blu's starter kit has a pricing problem compared to the market leaders' (NJOY and Krave) starter kits. Blu is more well known but has way less market share.

There are other problems with some of the P's but as you can imagine there are many strict government regulations on the products currently and recently Blu was purchased by Lorillard which is putting in alot of money to fix those problems.

Which College is this survey for?

yotasavg

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Chico, CA

Interesting, I thought it would be price. I didn't realize that about the market share, I would have guessed that people buy BLU... it's like it's on every website... Or maybe that's just cause it's targeted for me lol. In any case, good luck with your project. I'd love to see your results and analysis if you feel like posting here afterward!

StrangeShay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Outside of DC in MD
I'm pretty new here, but Blu is why I'm here. I had heard of e-cigs, had seen the guy's at the Mall kiosk's and had thought about it but wasn't willing to invest that kind of money (kiosk's were more expensive than the Blu starter kit from my local Walgreen's). A few weeks ago I noticed the Blu disposable and figured I could afford to spend $10 to give it a try. Now I've graduated to better (although still newbie) products. So if nothing else, Blu and the others of their kind help get people in the door as it were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread