Studies on the inhalation effects of vaporized PG

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeeFour

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Hadley, Massachusetts
I had been under the impression that no real long-term studies had been done on the effects of inhaling vaporized PG. I had seen reference on ECF to a study on the effects of PG/VG added to tobacco (no adverse effects), but given that the rats were still inhaling tobacco smoke, it didn't really seem applicable to our situation as vapers.

But I just did a little quick research through the Web of Science database and discovered some articles I have not yet seen referenced on ECF or anywhere in the media for that matter (my apologies if they have been and I missed it) The following is the reference followed by a short description. Due to copy write laws, I do not believe I can "publish" the articles on this forum, but if you PM me, there is no rule against me emailing them to you for academic purposes.

TESTS FOR THE CHRONIC TOXICITY OF PROPYLEXE GLYCOL
AND TRIETHYLENE GLYCOL ON MONKEYS AND RATS BY
VAPOR INHALATION AND ORAL ADMINISTRATION
JOURNAL OF PHARMACOLOGY AND EXPERIMENTAL THERAPEUTICS Volume: 91 Issue: 1 Pages: 52-76 Published: 1947

Ah the good old days when you could order 45 monkeys from Columbia, pump them full of whatever chemicals you want, and kill them for autopsy study without any animal rights activists getting all up on your junk.
Long story short, the scientists exposed groups of rats and Macacus Rhesus monkeys to concentrated PG vapor for 12-18 months. The rats showed no differences between PG and control groups in organ function. There was evidence of minor irritation in the upper lungs of the rats (not harmful however), but I think that is to be expected given the concentrations they were exposed to.
The monkey (who are erect mammals, and so have the same risk as humans to potential buildup in the lungs) results were similar. No difference in organ function, and no sign of irritation either. The monkeys were also riddled with nematodes, but that came from Columbia and were present in both PG and control. Actually in both the rat and monkey trials, the PG groups experienced better health and greater weight gain.

AEROSOL PENICILLIN
Blood Levels of Penicillin Obtained by Inhalation of Aerosols Produced
by a Combined Steam Generator and Aerosolizer, with
the Use of Propylene Glycol, Tents and a Breathing Box
JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION Volume: 134 Issue: 11 Pages: 932-938 Published: 1947

Scientists tested the possibility of delivering antibiotics to the body through aerosolized vapors of PG and water. PG was chosen due to penicillin's solubility in the substance. Not only was it effective in delivering the antibiotic, but the control group (just vapor, no antibiotic) also showed reduced bacterial levels. This is due to PGs germicidal properties. It was examined as a way to sterilize urban areas after a fire to reduce disease spread, and is described in this time article, however I cannot locate the original paper.

Sputum Cytology After Inhalation of Heated
Propylene Glycol
JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION Volume: 178 Issue: 6 Pages: 668-& Published: 1961

For those who don't know, sputum is the result of hucking a lugie. Phlem, mucus, respiratory snot, etc. Its cellular components can also be examined to detect lung cancer. But you have to cough it up. This can be difficult for those with chronic bronchitis, so these scientists had people inhale a warm PG vapor. It was soothing to the patients, and also resulted in people coughing a whole lot of crap up, particularly smokers (sound familiar? :p) It even saved one guy's life! according to the paper:
"One patient with severe acute bronchitis and
asthma experienced prompt relief of a collapsed
right middle lobe, which was presumably a secondary
condition resulting from a mucus plug,
after a fortuitous propylene glycol inhalation."

Subchronic nose-only inhalation study of propylene glycol in Sprague-Dawley rats.
Food Chem Toxicol. 1989 Sep;27(9):573-83.

I couldn't get online access to this paper, and I'm currently too lazy to drag my ... over to UMass Amherst and pay $1/hr for parking. But I found the abstract. The rats were made to breathe PG vapor. Same as the earlier paper, no differences in PG and control groups except that high-concentration PG rats experienced nosebleeds and dry eyes. (I haven't gotten nosebleeds, but will sometimes get dry eyes. ClearEyes and a netty pot should do the trick.)

So that's what I found. Funny the FDA hasn't looked back and found these 1940's papers. I'm thinking of writing up a more professional editorial based on these studies and sending it to newspapers until someone decides to publish. Again, PM me with your email if you want a copy of the papers yourself, I know not everyone is lucky enough to have university access to a database that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars per year.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
This is a good find, I think it would be great to make a more professional written publication on these findings and get it out there. If the FDA won't recognize any of this maybe they should be forced to do so with some mass publications of all this info. Nice job there Teefour, the ecig world could use more people like you to help the cause all day long.

Red Dog

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Massachusetts
www.facebook.com
GREAT find.....unfortunately the FDA is aware of these studies, but will NEVER reference them with any e-cig debate because it will be counter productive for their agenda......If they prove any validity to safety, they will NEVER be able to get their greedy little hands on the control of the market.

The FDA would probably take all those studies, and note the germicidal properties of PG and say that it's a drug. The FDA is clearly out of control these days, and someone really needs to remind them of what they should be spending our tax dollars on.

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Im sure the lawyers for Totally Wicked would like these articles !!

And just in case, I would forward them to CASAA as well....they may not have seen them....course they probably have, but...yea... just in case :)

The FDA is clearly out of control these days, and someone really needs to remind them of what they should be spending our tax dollars on.

AMEN!!!!!!

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Perhaps in the future we'll see some human studies to obtain a final prognosis on risks to us

Well, as for the PG....it has been done. It is used today as a carrier for asthma meds and an assortment of other meds. The PG has already been FDA approved, but again...they will not bring that to light in their arguments....it will be avoided by them. I believe somewhere in this vast collection of info was something referring to the use of PG in WWII I believe.....and it's antimicrobial properties.....

iggyLover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2009
San Diego
Ah the good old days when you could order 45 monkeys from Columbia, pump them full of whatever chemicals you want, and kill them for autopsy study without any animal rights activists getting all up on your junk.

Wow what a horrible thing to say.....those days were not right at all!

TeeFour

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Hadley, Massachusetts

Oh, the trials and tribulations of being facetious.

But sarcasm aside, we would not have any modern medicine or understanding of toxicology without animal testing. In modern tests there are stringent standards for animal treatment, and (most all) scientists treat the animals with love and respect for their sacrifice.

Red Dog

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Massachusetts
www.facebook.com

Yes it's horrible. But without it, do you have any idea how many drugs and medical advances we would not have today? The same can be said of vivisection. But again, without it (both animal and human) our medical knowledge and technology would be no where near what it is today. I'm sure it's not a popular opinion these days, or politically correct, but it's a fact.

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA

Good links - thanks!

Michal "Webby" Douglas | President - CASAA.ORG
Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Assoc.
182 St Francis Street | STE 300 | Mobile, AL 36602
T: 251.285.0834 Fx: 251.445.1043 Skype: CASAAHQ

TeeFour

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Hadley, Massachusetts
This is a good find, I think it would be great to make a more professional written publication on these findings and get it out there. If the FDA won't recognize any of this maybe they should be forced to do so with some mass publications of all this info. Nice job there Teefour, the ecig world could use more people like you to help the cause all day long.

I think I will try to write a researched editorial then. We need more views from our side in the media. I was listening to NPR today and a short report aired pertaining to ecigs. I was disappointed to hear yet again the diethylene glycol finding, etc from the FDA rep. But i was pleasantly surprised to finally hear a counterpoint aired from a representative from CASAA. At least we still have some unbiased media in this country that are willing to give both sides of an argument equal time.

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
I believe that it was studies like these that lead to PG being used as a nicotine carrier in the original e-cigs. Contrary to popular belief, the Chinese don't want to their citizens dying from vaping some unknown substances, and Hon Lik was/is a pharmacist, and most likely well-versed in studies concerning inhalation of aerosol PG.

Nice to see these cited, though. I wish there were more peer-reviewed studies concerning e-cigarettes, if only to calm fears of friends and family regarding e-cigarettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread