Study finds smokers reduced cigarette consumption by 44% and increased readiness and confidence to quit after 1 week of e-cig experimentation and ad l

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Study finds smokers (who had never used an e-cig and weren’t interested in quitting) reduced cigarette consumption by 44% and increased readiness and confidence to quit smoking after one week of e-cig experimentation and ad libitum use
Pilot Investigation of Changes in Readiness and Confidence to Quit Smoking After E-cigarette Experimentation and 1 Week of Use

Nicotine Tob Res. 2013 Oct 23. [Epub ahead of print]
Pilot Investigation of Changes in Readiness and Confidence to Quit Smoking After
E-cigarette Experimentation and 1 Week of Use.
Wagener TL, Meier E, Hale JJ, Oliver ER, Warner ML, Driskill LM, Gillaspy SR,
Siegel MB, Foster S.

Source
Oklahoma tobacco Research Center & Department of Pediatrics, University of
Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK;

Abstract

INTRODUCTION:
This study examined changes in smokers' readiness and confidence to quit
smoking, smoking behavior, nicotine withdrawal symptoms, and tobacco product
preference following electronic cigarette (EC) experimentation and 1 week of ad
libitum use.

METHODS:
Current cigarette smokers, with no prior use of ECs and uninterested in
quitting, completed 3 study phases: baseline assessment (N = 20),
experimentation (N = 19), and ad libitum use (N = 16). Baseline assessment
consisted of completion of assessment measures and exhaled carbon monoxide
measurements. Experimentation phases consisted of four, 75-min sessions in which
participants completed assessment measures and sampled 3 EC brands and their own
brand of cigarette (OBC). Ad libitum use included participants selecting and
being provided their preferred EC brand from the experimentation phase to be
used "as you want" for 1 week. Outcome measures included readiness and
confidence to quit smoking, nicotine withdrawal symptoms, product
preference/satisfaction, and smoking behavior items.

RESULTS:
Readiness and confidence to quit increased significantly during the
experimentation period and continued to increase during ad libitum use. There
were no significant differences in reported effectiveness in reducing smoking
urges and cravings between OBC and EC though OBC were rated as more enjoyable
and satisfying. During ad libitum use, regular cigarette smoking decreased by
approximately 44% from baseline levels with overall tobacco use (EC + OBC)
remaining the same.

CONCLUSIONS:
Among a small convenience sample of unmotivated cigarette smokers, EC
experimentation and 1 week of ad libitum use increased readiness and confidence
to quit regular cigarettes and reduced regular cigarette smoking.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
This study makes me wonder how many would have quit if they had run it for a month instead of a week. My personal experience was I picked them up hoping I could slow down a 3 pack a day habit and in 3 weeks I had quit.

Key difference in your experience and the members of this study - Current cigarette smokers, with no prior use of ECs and uninterested in
quitting

Not looking to undermine your personal experience, but saying this study shows that you don't even have to want to quit smoking and eCigs will lead to less desire / craving for smoking.

My personal experience is one who has vaped nearly 2 years and haven't quit smoking, as is my desire. But I have greatly reduced my amount of smoking. For me, this study and its conclusions back up what I feel is common sense from my experience as a vaper and with idea that vaping is an alternative to smoking. It need not be seen, marketed or touted as a smoking cessation product, even while it may surely lead to cessation of smoking.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Key difference in your experience and the members of this study - Current cigarette smokers, with no prior use of ECs and uninterested in
quitting

Not looking to undermine your personal experience, but saying this study shows that you don't even have to want to quit smoking and eCigs will lead to less desire / craving for smoking.

Uhm, I never had any intention of quitting smoking.
I merely wanted to smoke less in the evenings, as smoking too much in the evenings was not doing me good.
I bought a starter kit, started vaping - and made the switch from tobacco cigarettes to the e-cigarette immediately and effortlessly.
On 4 November 2013, I will be a 100% vaper for 2 years.

Any I am not the only formerly heavy smoker with no intention of quitting smoking who made the switch to e-cigarettes immediately.

Not all people are the same.
And "slowing down" is not the same as quitting. Period.

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA
Unfortunately, e-cig opponents who work for or are funded by the US government and drug companies will continue claiming that "there's no evidence e-cigs can help smokers quit".

Bill, if the number of smokers keeps falling as the number of vapers keeps rising we may prove it at a population level in such a way they can no longer ignore it. If we can keep them from killing it for even another year it's going to become so obvious that their fear mongering and lies will be laughed at. Using their numbers, over a million people in the US have died from smoking related diseases since I quit, zero have from e-cigarettes. We need to push these facts every chance we get.

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
That study shows pretty much what it was like for me. No interest in quiting. Within a week changed to know I could, and decided to do it. Within 2-3 weeks fully switched. From there on the desire to light up continued to decrease and has now been gone for quite some time.

Thanks again Bill for passing on the news and for your good work.

Last edited:

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Unfortunately, e-cig opponents who work for or are funded by the US government and drug companies will continue claiming that "there's no evidence e-cigs can help smokers quit".

I think you are alluding to a rhetorical statement by the opposition.

Which matters not for our discussions, IMO. Even if there was a mountain of evidence, it is plausible that the way in which we view our opponents, they will continue to claim "there's no evidence e-cigs can help smokers quit."

If we are speaking to an individual who appeared to hold the opposing position and claimed "no evidence" then it would be plausible to either show them evidence or ask what evidence looks like for them.

Because some of us are so bent on viewing vaping through the prism of 'smoking cessation' - it seems likely to me that the battle will continue to show up as it does, and will be met with temporary setbacks, i.e. golden era of vaping no longer so golden.

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA
I merely wanted to smoke less in the evenings, as smoking too much in the evenings was not doing me good.
I bought a starter kit, started vaping - and made the switch from tobacco cigarettes to the e-cigarette immediately and effortlessly.

Any I am not the only formerly heavy smoker with no intention of quitting smoking who made the switch to e-cigarettes immediately.

Have to disagree somewhat with this, there are many on here that cut way back but still use a few every day. They still need something that e-cigs don't have but are still following a much healthier path.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin

Your last statement confirms what I was going for in my response to you.
If the study was with participants that wanted to smoke less / slow down, it would match your experience.

IMO, the study is better news than what one who has quit smoking through vaping may realize. It is, IMO, saying it is a viable alternative. That some will insist it says eCigs lead to smoking cessation is I believe par for the course, but is reading into the study what wasn't within the parameters of methods and results.

Smoking cessation comes from choice of the user. Many users, especially heavy smokers, lack confidence to think there is a method around that will work for them. eCigs can help address that doubt/lack of confidence that some users experience. It provides a viable alternative to smoking.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I had completely lost confidence that I would ever quit. I _wanted_ to quit, but I was resigned to the fact that I never would. I didn't intend to _try_ to quit ever again. I knew I would fail, and that gets depressing. I got an ecig thinking maybe I could cut down. I can totally see trying an ecig increasing someone's readiness to quit or switch, however you want to word it. (I think of it as quitting tobacco, but not quitting nicotine, jmo.)

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Smoking cessation comes from choice of the user. Many users, especially heavy smokers, lack confidence to think there is a method around that will work for them. eCigs can help address that doubt/lack of confidence that some users experience. It provides a viable alternative to smoking.

I fully agree.
I never intended to quit smoking. I never attempted to quit smoking - not once, in all my 35 years as a heavy smoker. Why should I? I like the actions, I like to consume nicotine.
When I started using my very first eGo T starter kit, I found a viable alternative to smoking - and I happily switched over to that :)

So, yes, e-cigs provide a viable alternative to smoking. Even for those who never intended to stop smoking in the first place :)

Edit:
And if a person vapes and still smokes tobacco cigarettes, that is their choice as well.
Every tobacco cigarette not smoked is a big advantage for a person's health.
There is no "100% vaping = good, vaping and smoking = bad". Every tobacco cigarette not smoked is a good thing :)

Last edited:

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
I fully agree.
I never intended to quit smoking. I never attempted to quit smoking - not once, in all my 35 years as a heavy smoker. Why should I? I like the actions, I like to consume nicotine.
When I started using my very first eGo T starter kit, I found a viable alternative to smoking - and I happily switched over to that :)

So, yes, e-cigs provide a viable alternative to smoking. Even for those who never intended to stop smoking in the first place :)

Edit:
And if a person vapes and still smokes tobacco cigarettes, that is their choice as well.
Every tobacco cigarette not smoked is a big advantage for a person's health.
There is no "100% vaping = good, vaping and smoking = bad". Every tobacco cigarette not smoked is a good thing :)
That used to be the word of the day, even from Heath officials. Today, Glantz is trying yo denormalize that phrase, by constantly chanting the opposite.
I love Christopher Snowdon's latest article
The disease of ‘public health’ | Books & Essays | Drink and drugs | Health | Liberties | Risk | spiked
And especially his quote " It is time to denormalise the demagogues of ‘public health’."
That's it in a nutshell.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Wow, Uma, great find! :thumbs:

I love it all! And especially this part:

Or perhaps there are more deeply rooted beliefs at work. It is not a novel observation to note that health has taken the place of religion in modern society. It can scarcely be coincidence that the main targets of the public-health movement are the same vices of sloth, gluttony, smoking and drinking that have preoccupied moralists, evangelists and puritans since time immemorial. HL Mencken long ago described public health as ‘the corruption of medicine by morality’. The urge to view death and disease as a punishment for sin has existed for millennia. It manifests itself today in the quest to identify ‘lifestyle factors’ to explain inexplicable diseases and the implicit reassurance given to those who tread the path of purity that the reaper can be kept at bay - a belief that is only occasionally punctured by bewilderment when a ‘healthy’ person keels over and dies.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I fully agree.
I never intended to quit smoking. I never attempted to quit smoking - not once, in all my 35 years as a heavy smoker.

Same here - really liked smoking, no interest in quitting. Heard about ecigs on a different forum unrelated to ecigarettes. Thought I'd see what they were.....

Quit when I got my first Janty Dura-c 510. About a week. Had a supermini the week before, that didn't get me there. Just a puff of vapor.... My 'habit' was 50% nicotine and 50% smoke.

Last edited:

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Like others in this thread have posted, this study reflects my initial journey into vaping. I had no intention of quitting and only decided to try e-cigs at the behest of my brother. A week later, I gave up my final one cigarette per day that I was holding onto (after dinner), and I'm still really shocked at just how easy it was to switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread