Study reports first evidence of biological changes related to e-cig use in never-smokers

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Wow, real research! This is a pleasant change from status quo. Though small, study results are illuminating and potentially useful, though the impact seems overstated.

Study reports first evidence of biological changes related to e-cig use in never-smokers
Although the magnitude of change was small compared with a control group, the pilot data suggests that even short-term usage can result in inflammatory changes at a cellular level.
Participants were randomized to a four-week intervention with e-cigs containing only 50% propylene glycol (PG) or 50% vegetable glycerine (VG) without nicotine or flavors. (PG and VG are used in e-cig devices.) Results from these tests were then compared to a separate control group of never-smokers. Researchers did not see levels of inflammation higher than the controls, but there was an increase in inflammation among the users who inhaled more of the e-cigs.
"Human clinical trials can provide valuable information regarding actual toxicant exposure and risk for disease. Through the randomized clinical trial of healthy never-smokers over a month, we found that an increase in urinary propylene glycol, a marker of inhalation-e-cig intake, was significantly correlated with increased inflammatory response in the lung," says Min-Ae Song, first author of the manuscript and environmental health researcher at the Ohio State College of Public Health. "Future studies could be of longer duration, include an assessment of flavors, the effect by varying ratios of propylene glycol and vegetable glycerine, and examine randomization of smokers to e-cigs."

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Wow,... the impact seems overstated.

Who said e-cigarettes are supposed to be "safe"?
E cigarettes are said to possess 5% of the dangers associated with combustion cigarettes.
This is NOT 95% safer, this is THOUSANDS of times less harmful than traditional cigarettes.
Once these types of studies include combustion cigarette data, the potential risks of vaping pale by comparison.

Cheers
I

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
"new research data suggests that even short-term e-cig use can cause cellular inflammation in never-smoker adults."

Are you kidding? This is "real research!"? No, this is cheap fear-mongering. Even going outside in cold weather causes inflammation effects such as coughing. "This is a pleasant change from status quo"? Yes, the groundless fear-mongering about lung cancer certainly is pleasant. And, even though "Researchers did not see levels of inflammation higher than the controls," this was buried deep inside. The crucial first paragraph claimed that "new research data suggests that even short-term e-cig use can cause cellular inflammation in never-smoker adults."

You have got to be kidding. You have just GOT to be kidding. With "friends" like that, you don't need enemies.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
A few more thoughts. Just because it looks 'sciency' doesn't make it science. As a useful indication of actual health risks, this kind of crap is absolutely worthless, and they are unethical and unscientific to pretend otherwise. No observed health effect(s) of vaping have been identified that are in need of an explanation, so this garbage "illuminates" absolutely nothing. Its sole purpose is to stoke groundless fears in ignorant people who can't distinguish BS from science.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Wow, real research! This is a pleasant change from status quo. Though small, study results are illuminating and potentially useful, though the impact seems overstated.
Interesting, but the contents of the vapor are not mentioned in the article. There is a downloadable PDF, but there is a “cookie settings” pop up that demands I remove my cookie blockage globally and won’t release the PDF unless I do it.

I’m afraid I don’t have the ability to boot up a disposable VM with requisite protections on my phone so that’s not happening.

Reactions: stols001

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
"new research data suggests that even short-term e-cig use can cause cellular inflammation in never-smoker adults."

Are you kidding? This is "real research!"? No, this is cheap fear-mongering. Even going outside in cold weather causes inflammation effects such as coughing. "This is a pleasant change from status quo"?

Guess I think your reaction is borne of seemingly endless falsehood and propaganda from those with a political agenda rather than truth. And certainly yes, even cold weather or allergies also cause cellular inflammation. I read as individuals looking for insight from their work (don't we all). And, when compared with cigarettes, this impact fades to nothingness. To me, the key findings are:

"Although the magnitude of change was small compared with a control group..."​

"Researchers did not see levels of inflammation higher than the controls..."​

"...found that an increase in urinary propylene glycol, a marker of inhalation-e-cig intake, was significantly correlated with increased inflammatory response in the lung..."​

I understand where you are coming from, though in my reading this is actually both positive and informative. No intended offense.

Interesting, but the contents of the vapor are not mentioned in the article.

'Participants were randomized to a four-week intervention with e-cigs containing only 50% propylene glycol (PG) or 50% vegetable glycerine (VG) without nicotine or flavors."​

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Remember folks, the devil's in the details. This is the only sentence that has any useful information.

Researchers did not see levels of inflammation higher than the controls, but there was an increase in inflammation among the users who inhaled more of the e-cigs.

So both the non vapers in the control (non exposed) group and the exposed group were no differently affected.

But the vaper themselves were affected! But this may well be being caused by hot gasses or a sensitivity to a component or components of liquid used, enviromental factors, and actual health status of the vapers themselves. Also what is unknown is attomizer or mods used as well.

But it would be interesting to look at vaping type, to see how TC or Power/Watts affects various studies. Including this so called one.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm sorry a group of 30? And divided up into how many categories?

I guess those who vaped more? Did they use puff counters or what, or measure ml of liquid consumed?

IDK this looks really hastily cobbled together. I'm not trying to discredit the study or anything, I mean these studies should be done and I am also in agreement that when I have a cold or whatnot, my vapes make me cough a LOT more than when I am healthy, So I kind of figured there was a certain amount of inflammatory process happening/could happen.

But I could still vape, and not get 19 months of pneumonia. HARM REDUCTION.

That's what I wish people would talk about. I would have like to have seen a freaking CONTROL GROUP OF SMOKERS, as well as NON smokers.

We can for sure agree vaping is 100% not safe, but the devil kind of can get lost in the details.

Sigh.

Anna

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
The bottom line is that they cannot make predictions about lung cancer or anything else, simply from piddling around in a petri dish. If you believe otherwise, then you are completely misled. It simply isn't so. And they're obviously trying to mislead the public that this is how "science" goes about discovering truths. Well, it's not. This is how cranks who hate vaping manufacture propaganda to scare the ignorant.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Eeew missed the petri dish samples.

Hey.... is it kosher to take chunks of someone's lung tissue to examine it in a petri dish? Is it 95 percent safer than smoking? How did they get the chunks?

I'm sorry, I'll admit I saw the number 30, dizzyingly broken down into 50 smaller groups and I kind of tuned out after that.

Dude. Lung tissue in petri dishes. I LIKE petri dishes (and the smell of what weird stretchy plastic they use to like seal up like little plastic containers with the snap off tops, what was it called, I could PLAY with that stuff all day, and often DID (sometimes for pay even) but like WHAT is it called and lung tissue in petri dishes remains horrendously ick though.

Anna

Reactions: plumeguy

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The bottom line is that they cannot make predictions about lung cancer or anything else, simply from piddling around in a petri dish. If you believe otherwise, then you are completely misled. It simply isn't so. And they're obviously trying to mislead the public that this is how "science" goes about discovering truths. Well, it's not. This is how cranks who hate vaping manufacture propaganda to scare the ignorant.
Depends on what they are trying to predict. Cancer is a very specific kind of genetic damage. Inflammation is not genetic damage though. I agree with the conclusion but not the statement about petri dishes

casuald00d

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2018
the states of unitedness
i figure it's probably true. while a lot of us probably don't want to accept it, i assume that vaping most certainly has its downside and this is perhaps part of it. all the same, i'm a former smoker and i feel six bizillion times better now that i vape instead. my end goal is to quit vaping, but if i can't, at least i'm vaping instead of smoking.

nomore stinkies

Gee, Who did that?
ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
IL
As ex-smokers we should be screened by having a CT of the lungs. Just read that somewhere. I had it 3 times to follow a couple of nodules (granulomas from previous exacerbations, allergens or chemical exposures) but I'm due again. My Mom died from lung cancer 25 years after she quit. But she did have colon cancer prior. It's a low dose CT. Plus for those of us that are older......a little radiation won't hurt our cell growth .....it's pretty much dormant. Lol

• Informative
Reactions: LoveVanilla
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread