Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
So @DavidOck spontaneously sent me a bit of rayon to try because he just rocks that hard, and I threw some in my aromamizer plus build. Not sure how well I did. I mean it’s vaping well so far. It IS different from cotton though. It’s stronger and the fibers are longer and it’s more compact. This seems to have some odd effects on my standard wicking method for aromamizer decks.

What I generally do is take the deck out of the atty entirely, dryburn and clean the coil, then compress both ends of both my wicks and wick the atty long and just a bit thick.
Then I push the ends through the juice ports and trim them close to the bottom, thin them with a tweezer, and cut them again.
This takes care of both the wick length and wick thickness thickness issues aromamizers have to keep it from leaking while being not all that complicated and fairly forgiving a process.

There were some oddities. Even with 3.5mm coils the wick wouldn’t take a full thickness of rayon. The most I could fit was about 3/4 of a bundle width and that was tight tight. Thinning the wicks was also different because the strands are stronger, more even, and longer so it took more effort to pull out strands for thinning.

Right now it’s behaving a lot like cotton, the big difference being the first couple of puffs had no “new wick” flavor.

I’m thinking I need to alter my wicking behavior a bit for this stuff but I’m not sure what will be needed.
Anyone have any suggestions?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
So so it was drying a bit and I checked the coil. Getting quite dry. Clearly it wasn’t wicking from the tank. So I pulled the deck and thinned it again wet. A bit messy but one of the nice things about legends is they’re waterproof so I just rinsed everything off after I buttoned everything up again. It’s more crackly now, which is weird, but no spitting.
Primed with a different flavor so I’ll be able to tell if it wicks from the tank by the flavor change
32EFCEA6-42C1-4CD7-83F9-F26917B37C36.jpeg
1883F4E8-6DA2-4857-9533-07076771FFF2.jpeg

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
View attachment 812511 Seems to like around 17w for DL. The legends tc curve took one look at it and barfed, so wattage mode it is. Nice cool vape. Not sure how well my batteries will like near 6v, but we’ll see.

Yeah TC doesn't like a high starting resistance for some reason.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Might need to reduce to a half bundle instead of 3/4.
Yeah, that probably would have been smarter. Coil is working so far. See what happens in a day or two maybe. It’s resistance keeps rising. Might be a big mess.

It does act a whole heck of a lot like a profile though.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Just for comparison you might try a 2.5mm SS316L coil with 8 wraps for a resistance of around 1 ohm. I like Sally's Rayon. I just cut off a 2 inch long piece from the roll and pull it apart for the width I need and put the rest in a ziplock for future use.

I flip back and forth between 2mm and 2.5mm. 2mm makes a coil that requires thinner wicking for atomizers that have smaller juice wells. 2.5mm works fine, but for smaller decks you might need to fan and trim the tails to fit the width of the juice wells.

For me, Cotton expands and Rayon tends to compact and shrink as the juice wets it. The fibers are finer than cotton and I trim the tails to make them contact the deck squarely. I look for light to medium drag with Rayon as I pull the wick through the coil.

Something like this is what I end up with using Rayon. Just tuck the ends in the juice wells.

69478-79dda0959b505cd7be6f61db347b6ea4.jpg

Last edited:

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
The general rule of thumb with rayon is tight in the coil & thin out the wick tails. Lots of rayon users will give it an angle cut from the end of the wick towards the coil. Rayon transports juice. With the Plus you could thin & fluff then tuck gently in wick ports covering the juice slots.

mac-nutty

Moved On
Mar 2, 2019
pub
So @DavidOck spontaneously sent me a bit of rayon to try because he just rocks that hard, and I threw some in my aromamizer plus build. Not sure how well I did. I mean it’s vaping well so far. It IS different from cotton though. It’s stronger and the fibers are longer and it’s more compact. This seems to have some odd effects on my standard wicking method for aromamizer decks.

What I generally do is take the deck out of the atty entirely, dryburn and clean the coil, then compress both ends of both my wicks and wick the atty long and just a bit thick.
Then I push the ends through the juice ports and trim them close to the bottom, thin them with a tweezer, and cut them again.
This takes care of both the wick length and wick thickness thickness issues aromamizers have to keep it from leaking while being not all that complicated and fairly forgiving a process.

There were some oddities. Even with 3.5mm coils the wick wouldn’t take a full thickness of rayon. The most I could fit was about 3/4 of a bundle width and that was tight tight. Thinning the wicks was also different because the strands are stronger, more even, and longer so it took more effort to pull out strands for thinning.

Right now it’s behaving a lot like cotton, the big difference being the first couple of puffs had no “new wick” flavor.

I’m thinking I need to alter my wicking behavior a bit for this stuff but I’m not sure what will be needed.
Anyone have any suggestions?
i would love to see Temp Control with this if you can OP

Reactions: stols001

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Hard to be certain from the pics, but they seem to be maybe a bit loose. The second pic in post 6 only looks to have the "hump" on the lower side of the coil, the upper side seems to fall "off" the coil. Both sides should have a hump, as shown in @DaveP 's post.

One trick is to tightly twist the rayon for insertion, then untwist once through. Then trim as needed for your specific tank. I use mostly KF2Ls and Skylines, and do the angle cut for both, but neither needs to be tucked into any juice ports. But thinning the ends is pretty typical for rayon.

It can take some time / practice to get to the right density, but keeping in mind that it will be more than cotton is the right direction. Since the fibers are so straight, rayon will collapse a bit, where cotton will swell.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The general rule of thumb with rayon is tight in the coil & thin out the wick tails. Lots of rayon users will give it an angle cut from the end of the wick towards the coil. Rayon transports juice. With the Plus you could thin & fluff then tuck gently in wick ports covering the juice slots.
one of the nice things about the way I wick aromamizer decks is you can thin a wet wick. The ghetto coil needed a second round of thinning too. Got it working though.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Just for comparison you might try a 2.5mm SS316L coil with 8 wraps for a resistance of around 1 ohm. I like Sally's Rayon. I just cut off a 2 inch long piece from the roll and pull it apart for the width I need and put the rest in a ziplock for future use.

I flip back and forth between 2mm and 2.5mm. 2mm makes a coil that requires thinner wicking for atomizers that have smaller juice wells. 2.5mm works fine, but for smaller decks you might need to fan and trim the tails to fit the width of the juice wells.

For me, Cotton expands and Rayon tends to compact and shrink as the juice wets it. The fibers are finer than cotton and I trim the tails to make them contact the deck squarely. I look for light to medium drag with Rayon as I pull the wick through the coil.

Something like this is what I end up with using Rayon. Just tuck the ends in the juice wells.

69478-79dda0959b505cd7be6f61db347b6ea4.jpg
Sure but that is clearly a reasonable and intelligent solution. Where’s the fun in that?

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
View attachment 812505 So I rewicked, or tried to. The stuff swelled and I couldn’t get it out of the coils
If you have to cut the rayon out , you used to much.....you do use a bit more then cotton, but only slightly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
So so it was drying a bit and I checked the coil. Getting quite dry. Clearly it wasn’t wicking from the tank. So I pulled the deck and thinned it again wet. A bit messy but one of the nice things about legends is they’re waterproof so I just rinsed everything off after I buttoned everything up again. It’s more crackly now, which is weird, but no spitting.
Primed with a different flavor so I’ll be able to tell if it wicks from the tank by the flavor change
View attachment 812499 View attachment 812497
I wick my aromamizer with either one. I find that in colder weather Rayon wicks faster. While in summer cotton (I use cotton bacon supreme normally. My coils are 3 mm and it wicks fine. Remember to cut your cotton slightly shorter than the bottom so there's capillary action.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Rayon has to be tight in the coil, very tight, it shrinks with use and can pull away from the coil giving the impression of a dry hit.

Rayon transports juice from the most dense to the least dense section, tail that are too thick can actually pull juice away from the coil. Tails must be thinned out.

You do not pull wick through the slots of a Plus deck, the ends of the wick just rest in the well barely touching the bottom of the well.

Sorry for the horrible webcam pics.

3.5mm ID coils with tails thinned 40%. I fold what will fit of the tail lightly down into the well and trim the upper excess off a few mm from the edge of the coil, sticking it down to the rest of the tail when priming the coils.
WIN_20190514_17_33_22_Pro.jpg

Ends of the Rayon are just resting on the inside floor of the juice well.
WIN_20190514_17_33_40_Pro.jpg

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
View attachment 812509 View attachment 812507 I had this giant wick diameter though so I thought a bit of stupid might be in order. Behold the mighty 6.5mm ghetto radiator coil. .3mm square sectional SS @1.74ohm running to just under 2ohm at load. Hideous looking aren’t they.
That is a nasty coil to try and wick with Rayon as you cant get it tight enough without massive coil deformation.

Uniformity of the coil build plays a big factor in the vape quality/performance as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread