**Sub-Ohm Vaping** Discussion, Safety, Battery Info, & Warnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

SingedVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2014
Valdosta, Georgia, United States
I'm so glad I found this. Lots of info learned already.

Just a suggestion but have you thought about putting this or something like this also on the new members forum? A lot of the new members or people just browsing might find it easier, especially the ones who build without doing a lot of research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Hey everyone, am I safe to say that a efest 18650 2000mah is 10 amps and to not go below a. 7-.8 ohm coil?
IMO, plenty of room to spare actually. 0.7Ω at 4.2v is around 6 amps, and at a more likely 3.9'ish volts... 'cause 4.2 don't last for long, it's 5.5 amps. ;-)

Aviationrich

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2013
Amarillo
IMO, plenty of room to spare actually. 0.7Ω at 4.2v is around 6 amps, and at a more likely 3.9'ish volts... 'cause 4.2 don't last for long, it's 5.5 amps. ;-)

Awesome thanks! I like being in the "your good to go" area than to close to the edge. I do have two vtc4s that I've been using more for that reason.

Sent from behind the tree in your yard using instant pestering

Aviationrich

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2013
Amarillo
What would be some good signs that I'm close to the edge on it? I have a .7 build now, which sounds like it would be fine, but if I mess up something what should I look for? I'm new to mech mods and just want to be safe. I'm not to best lookin guy, but I like my face where it is lol.

Sent from behind the tree in your yard using instant pestering

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
What would be some good signs that I'm close to the edge on it? I have a .7 build now, which sounds like it would be fine, but if I mess up something what should I look for? I'm new to mech mods and just want to be safe. I'm not to best lookin guy, but I like my face where it is lol.
For a beginning coil winder/mech user... it's hard to mess up if you:

1. Decide what your target resistance is for the battery you have... or visa versa. See second sig line below, look up the Locust Ohm's Law calculator (or right here) and run the numbers. (I like it because it's clean and uncluttered)
  2. Build the coil on paper... see "Steam Engine" in first sig line below.
  3. Build the coil for real and confirm it's resistance with an "known accurate" meter. The deeper the resistance, the more accurate a meter is required.
If you built the coil to spec, and you matched the battery maximum continuous amperage drain (also found in the second sig line link) to the coil... and again, visa versa, you can't hardly screw it up... unless you screw it up. :laugh:

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
For a beginning coil winder/mech user... it's hard to mess up if you:

1. Decide what your target resistance is for the battery you have... or visa versa. See second sig line below, look up the Locust Ohm's Law calculator (or right here) and run the numbers. (I like it because it's clean and uncluttered)
  2. Build the coil on paper... see "Steam Engine" in first sig line below.
  3. Build the coil for real and confirm it's resistance with an "known accurate" meter. The deeper the resistance, the more accurate a meter is required.
If you built the coil to spec, and you matched the battery maximum continuous amperage drain (also found in the second sig line link) to the coil... and again, visa versa, you can't hardly screw it up... unless you screw it up. :laugh:

Looks like you know a few things, SoF.

Icey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
Skokie
Popular 18xxx Battery Specs & Amp Limits: (Added 2/04/2014)

EG8t7C0_zps55214e7e.jpg

Where is that chart based on from? The community or an engineer? Thanks for sharing this, I booked marked it :)

So I tried the Ohm's calculator. For example:

Efest brand IMR LI/MN Flat top
3.7 v Amps 30 (and yes I have one in 35 amps too)
Ohms on the coil reader: 0.7
P (Power) = 22.81667

That's the safe limit right?

Last edited:

FictitiousFreedom

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2014
WV
I love sub ohming! The only problem is that everyone is getting into it and if your the kind of person who just trys things without researching it can be dangerous because these batteries don't advertise their c rating on the battery. I actually had a girl that worked at a local shop lie to me when I first got into Mecha. She told Me that the higher mah the higher the amps. She was trying to sell me old laptop batteries with a super high mah. Luckily I research everything and found those batteries were only a 5c rating but it really ...... me off, I told her off the next time I went there. Other than misinformation I've had a great experience sub ohming. The lowest I've went is .16 which is safe on my vtc5s. It is a lil too hot for my liking I stick around .3. People keep safe.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Soundhunter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2012
Love Field
Where is that chart based on from? The community or an engineer? Thanks for sharing this, I booked marked it :)

So I tried the Ohm's calculator. For example:

Efest brand IMR LI/MN Flat top
3.7 v Amps 30 (and yes I have one in 35 amps too)
Ohms on the coil reader: 0.7
P (Power) = 22.81667

That's the safe limit right?

0.7 coil on a 4.2 volt battery is drawing 6 amps at 25 watts = safe on that battery

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DocHo11idaze

Verified Member
May 25, 2014
Cali
I apologize in advance, the search function kind of sucks and is a bit easier to ask in a thread then dig through search results. What are the major differences between the sony vtc4 and 5? I got a few 5's on the way but may swoop up a 4 at a b&m as my new mod will be arriving tomorrow or Wednesday. I have some random battery currently from my kts kit that only reads "hgb18650 2200 mah",then "h1107b" below it. So is a vtc4 worth acquiring when having the shop rebuild my coils in my nimbus clone while waiting for the vtc5?

Porksmuggler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2012
USA
I apologize in advance, the search function kind of sucks and is a bit easier to ask in a thread then dig through search results. What are the major differences between the sony vtc4 and 5? I got a few 5's on the way but may swoop up a 4 at a b&m as my new mod will be arriving tomorrow or Wednesday. I have some random battery currently from my kts kit that only reads "hgb18650 2200 mah",then "h1107b" below it. So is a vtc4 worth acquiring when having the shop rebuild my coils in my nimbus clone while waiting for the vtc5?

The main difference is the vtc4 is 2100mAh, and the vtc5 is 2600mAh, same limits I believe otherwise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread