Sub Ohm - what's the hype about

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedy_r6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2015
Illinois, US
In my opinion, the whole sub-ohm vs high-ohm is kind of like a sports car vs an econobox. They are both vaping(just as both vehicles are vehicles), but they are for totally different styles. Some people want the high power and monster clouds at the expense of juice consumption(sports car burning through gas like it is going out of style). Others just want the simple thing that just goes easy(the econobox that works just fine for what many people need). They both work, and they are both good at what they are made for. They are just totally different ways of doing the same type of thing. If you don't care for the monster clouds, airy draw, or high power, the high-ohm is the ticket. If you don't like the tight draw, lower vapor production, and want a hotter vape, sub-ohm is probably the way to go.

For me, the tight draw of a high-ohm tank just didnt cut it. I want something that gives a hot vape and larger clouds. If it also gives great flavor, that is a nice bonus. That is why I prefer sub-ohm. It is what works for me. It may not work for everyone else, but it does for me.

Reactions: djsvapour

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Hi Guys,

I've been using cigalikes for a few months now, the Njoy King. My brother recently got into Sub Ohm vaping and claims it gives him a much more satisfying vape experience. Can't really get though what's so much better about it apart from the huge clouds. Are there any new vapers here who started straight with sub ohm vapes instead of cigalikes?

I actually think that the more vaping hardware i have the more committed to vaping i become.

Trying my best to make a cig-a-like work was just so frustrating. I eventually figured holding the device horizontal made it perform best otherwise the coil would get flooded too easily.

Moving up to a bigger device was solely for the purpose of having more battery capacity and bigger liquid reservoirs. It means not having to refill or change batteries every hour.

Using a low powered tube mod and a decent tank can almost certainly emulate, or even surpass the experience of smoking tobacco in everyway, for me anyway !.

Giving up vaping and succumbing to tobacco, to me, would be a paradox. The idea is to treat the vaping experience as if i were smoking tobacco. And just make sure i don't accidentally give up the wrong thing....... you know ?!. It's not a case of giving in and going back to tobacco. It's case case of giving in and going back to vaping !.

So high powered sum-ohm vaping, what's that about ?.

Currently i use a highly recommended low powered tube mod. I use with that an excellent RTA. This arrangement works flawlessly !. I use this intermittently.

When i "need" a change i use a high powered box mod and a quad coil RTA with a combined ohm'age of 0.15. It produces reasonably big clouds.

I feel the need to add at this point that with both these types of arrangements i vape with totally different levels of nicotine. The setup which produces large clouds has four and a half milligrammes of nicotine. Whereas in the low powered arrangement i use twenty four milligrammes of nicotine.

When i first started vaping, about 3 or something years ago, i had no intention of giving up smoking. I stopped because i had to, but that's a whole other story. The point is i have absolutely no intention of giving up vaping. What i am consciously doing though is i am reducing the amount of nicotine i am consuming.

I started vaping with fourty five milligrammes of nicotine. Far too high right ?. And it was, and i knew that from the start. Only a few months later realised i was using too much and just reduced the amount down to thirty six milligrammes. Still far too high i know.

After picking up my first high powered box mod and a dual coil RTA i knew i had to use significantly less nicotine because the consumption rate, given the huge clouds, would be sky high. More vapour means using much less nicotine.

The vapour produced using a low powered tube mod and a single coil RTA with an ohm'age of between one and a half and two ohm's is not much more than that produced by a cigarette.

On the other hand the high powered box mod setup with four coils (sum-ohm) produces more vapour, but in contrast, i consume less nicotine in that device than i do in the low powered device.

That may not be clear enough !.

If my low powered device produced say half a litre of vapour per draw with twenty four milligrammes of nicotine, and my high powered device produced two litres of vapour per draw with four and a half milligrammes of nicotine per draw it means that all the time i am using my high powered device i am consuming less nicotine than i do with the other device.

Basically, using high powered sum-ohm hardware helps to reduce my nicotine consumption. Or keeps it down to a sensible level.

Last edited:
Reactions: djsvapour
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread