Status
Not open for further replies.

dotma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
Spokane, WA
Okay so my Hawaiian friend, this is for you -- I put the submarine tanks on my Lavatube with an under load meter to see what the actual voltage would be with the different ohm cartos. These are single coil cartos in the sub tanks from Mom and Pop Vapor Shop. (wish i knew how to make a table on here)

With a 3.0 ohm carto in the mini sub:

Lavatube set at:
3.5 (actual 3.45)
4.0 (actual 3.96)
4.5 (actual 4.5)
5.0 (actual 5.0)
5.5 (actual 5.5)
6.0 (actual 5.7)

As you can see, with a 3 ohm carto in this tank, the real voltages as read by the under load meter are very very close to what you set the Lavatube at.

Now with a 1.7 ohm carto in the submarine tank:

Lavatube set at:
3.5 (actual 3.44)
4.0 (actual 3.93)
4.5 (actual 3.99)
5.0 (actual 3.97)
5.5 (actual 3.97)
6.0 (actual 3.97)

As you can see with the lower resistance carto in there, it starts to drop off by 4.5 and then after that the LT keeps itself steady at about 3.97.

So i guess the moral of the story is: If you wanna do high voltage vaping, definitely go with the 3.0 ohm. If you dont care so much about going past about 4 volts, use whatever you want and the LT will do its job and adjust accordingly!

dotma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
Spokane, WA
heres a lovely picture for y'all! photo(2).jpg

Keeno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2011
Indiana
Those results are acceptable IMO not perfect but acceptable as in pretty much up to specs on the Volcano website. I realized what I was getting if using a LR atty but good to see the excellent results with the 3.0 carts. Just one question I have and that is if you were on a full charge, half charge etc.... Thanks again.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Those numbers look like the regulator is functioning as it should. The 2.5 over current protection should kick in right at 4.2v with a 1.7 ohm load and that's what it's showing.

If you could do the same test again at different points in the battery drain that would help a lot. I've seen some say that the regulator wasn't holding the set voltage it should as the battery drains. Of course it's going to drop just before it's time to recharge but if you could test fresh off the charger which should be right at 4.2v(which that might be already) and then another test when the batter reaches around 3.7v and compare the numbers if they are close at that point everything should be functioning as it should.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Oh i never thought of that, Keeno. It was a pretty full charge. It says 4.0 right now. I just took my other batt off the charger and it says 4.1.

One quick question.

Do you have a way to check the Ohms on those Cartos?

BTW - The Results for the 1.7ohm Carto seem to be consistant with what others have posted. So I don't think it is just Your unit.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Zoidman -- hmm yeah i could use one of those other meter thingies that my husband has -- i think that will check the ohms to make sure they are right -- correct??

And thanks! My hubs got that meter for me at um -- hang on, i have to look it up -- something moon.

Okay, here it is: Other Products

Thanks dotma.

No rush. If its easier to wait for your husband to get home, its no big deal.

Everyones just curious what the cut-off value for the Lavatube is. And knowing the Exact ohms of that 1.7 ohm Carto would take one Variable out of the equation.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Correct me if I'm wrong here gang. With any mod... but specifically with mods that have removable batteries... the voltage drop is most likely due to the batteries 1st, the regulator 2nd. In other words... amperage starvation.

So, the question I have is "What if you use AW IMR high-drain batteries?". Does it make a difference?

Also, this is interesting:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/168171-18650-battery-wars.html

OTOH.. post #7 seems to indicate the regulator cutting out. IDK why you would want 5 volts at 1.7ish ohms unless you're dealing with DCs or something. So maybe that's it. DC's.

If it's a 2.5 amp cutoff, the lowest you could go at 5 volts is 2.0 ohms

EDIT: Please pardon me for dropping in... I don't have an LT but it is one I would look at for VV so I'm curious.

EDIT AGAIN - Never mind: Found this on the site:
Amperage Limiting to 2.5 amps – The device should monitor and shut itself off if it detects any excessive over-current conditions.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

If it's a 2.5 amp cutoff, the lowest you could go at 5 volts is 2.0 ohms

Because the High Voltage Crowd feel Jerked not being able to do the Same Watts as the the Normal Ohm Crowd Watt wise.

Right?

That or there are Shills in the Mix to put their Big Winded Posts either For or Against something.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Hi zoiD! lol. Not sure I understand that one. But OK. I think I got it....

Just remember. DC's.

Since I don't use DC's.. I'd consider the LT. Probably would consider it even if I did use em.

I like the short protection feature. So if an atty/carto shorts out, you don't fry the regulator.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread