subculture not subspecies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed on this forum how alot of vapors refer to non vapors as if they are another species, like vapors need not respect them or their rights. I've seen those who oppose vaping in public compared to ......, communist, even Hitler. What's the deal?? This is madness in my opinion. My personal favorite comparison was a gun wielding restaurant patron..... what?!? We are not a new alpha species of non smokers that are above the law. If history taught us ANYTHING, its that the system has the upper hand. If you cause a scene by making a spectacle of yourself then that gets negative reactions thereby stigmatizing everyone. Think of it this way: a biker in a small town kills someone, there for the town concensus is all bikers are murders. I'm ranting, this ego I'm seeing though....irritates me. Anyone see where I'm coming from?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I don't know about any of all that stuff your mentioned.
Sounds like a lot of distraction from what should be an intelligent discussion.

I just know that if we accept the same restrictions as those being placed on smokers, we will be sorry.
I don't know what that has to do with respecting non-vapors rights though.

Diogenes

Moved On
Nov 5, 2013
Justice, IL
I just know that if we accept the same restrictions as those being placed on smokers, we will be sorry.
I don't know what that has to do with respecting non-vapors rights though.

So, non-vapors have no rights?

I completely agree that we should not accept the same regs as smokers have on them. But by walking around with the attitude of, "It's just vapor, not smoke, I CAN DO THIS WHEREVER, WHENEVER I WANT!" and blowing clouds of vapor like you're a fog machine isn't going to help any issue. All that's going to happen is that people who *believe* you are smoking will cry murder, contact their politician and scream that PVs should be banned, or at the vary least be treated the same as analogs.

Diogenes

Moved On
Nov 5, 2013
Justice, IL
You appear to be trying to argue with me about something I didn't say.

I love the fact that you probably only read the first line to my post, and disregarded the rest of it. If you did read the rest of my post, I actually AGREED with you that we should not accept the same restrictions as those that are being placed on smokers.

From what the OP said, and from what I've read in other threads, is that some, not all, but some, vapers go around vaping with no regard for people around them. Sometimes it turns into a teaching lesson about vaping. But does this happen all the time? Probably not. Not all people want to be taught that vaping is a safer alternative to smoking. Some people will complain just because they can, it's their right.

Just as wearing Spandex is a privilege, so is vaping. It is not a right. There are plenty of places going smoke-free these days, and people who choose to go to those establishments believe that it will be smoke-free. Yes, yes, I realize that vaping is not smoking. People have the right to choose which establishments they go to, whether it is smoke-free or smoking. So is it our right to go into a smoke-free place and start vaping with the attitude of, "I'm going to vape wherever and whenever I want, because it's not illegal!"? NO. If a smoke-free establishment allows us to vape, it is a privilege.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I love the fact that you probably only read the first line to my post, and disregarded the rest of it. If you did read the rest of my post, I actually AGREED with you that we should not accept the same restrictions as those that are being placed on smokers.
Yeah, I must admit, your post really did confuse the hell out of me.

From what the OP said, and from what I've read in other threads, is that some, not all, but some, vapers go around vaping with no regard for people around them. Sometimes it turns into a teaching lesson about vaping. But does this happen all the time? Probably not. Not all people want to be taught that vaping is a safer alternative to smoking. Some people will complain just because they can, it's their right.

Just as wearing Spandex is a privilege, so is vaping. It is not a right. There are plenty of places going smoke-free these days, and people who choose to go to those establishments believe that it will be smoke-free. Yes, yes, I realize that vaping is not smoking. People have the right to choose which establishments they go to, whether it is smoke-free or smoking. So is it our right to go into a smoke-free place and start vaping with the attitude of, "I'm going to vape wherever and whenever I want, because it's not illegal!"? NO. If a smoke-free establishment allows us to vape, it is a privilege.
I won't respond to this part, because I'm going to assume based on past history that you are not addressing this to me.

Diogenes

Moved On
Nov 5, 2013
Justice, IL
I won't respond to this part, because I'm going to assume based on past history that you are not addressing this to me.

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was singling you out, that wasn't my intent, (well, maybe with the nons don't have rights question...). Like I said before, I've seen both sides of vaping here, with those who go out of their way to pacify non-smokers, and those who let it rip, and damn the consequences. I firmly believe that there should be some middle ground here. We shouldn't have to follow rules for smoking when we are not technically smoking. At the bars I go to, I ask if it's ok to vape. If they say no, I go outside with the rest of the smelly smoking lot. But by asking, I can create a teaching lesson, rather than having someone react because they believe I'm "smoking" in a smoke-free place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread