Subohm Tank advice for a MTL only vaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

vapemate93

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2016
Hi so I’m not looking to replace MTL at all but I actually fancy trying out a Sub ohm tank mainly for when I’m having a drink at home and maybe for a fast shot of nicotine also. I also have a spare high power mod that I’m not using so I in,y need a tank. I have only MTL vaped in my hole vaping life so I have no clue on the current technology on DL tanks.

I’ve noticed from brief searching hat a lot of sub ohm tanks now use mesh which appears to be a non rebuild coil? What are the differences between mesh and diy rebuilddeble coils in regards to sub ohm vaping. Going of initial thoughts I think I’d prefer a sub ohm tank that I can build the coil or coils my self as this is what I’ve always done on my MTL tanks and I’ve always got spare wire.

Any good recommendations for me? It’s not going to be a everyday tank for me so size etc is not going to be a problem. One worry I have with factory made mesh style coils is the worry they will eventually stop getting made rendering the tank useless as I tend to keep a tank I get on with for years,also the price of pre made coils comparing to self made wire coils.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Reactions: wvducklady

CaveFurby

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Most sub ohm coil tanks use plug and play coils, which are vertical coils and the airflow goes up through the center of the coil, the outside of the coil is wrapped in cotton, and coils are usually made from coiled kanthal or stainless steel or mesh. Not many sub ohm tanks have separate rebuildable coil inserts, but a few did/do. I can't really tell you which new modern tanks have rebuildable inserts. Maybe someone better versed will help out. I can recommend the Oxva Arbiter rebuildable tank, which I do have and totally enjoy, and which has hellacious airflow if you want it too, and will fit quite large coils if you care to use them.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
I think u just want to try direct lung vaping but your title kinda confuse us mentioning for mtl

Since u say u already use mtl rebuildable then I guess u should go for direct lung rta with single coil maybe it's more suited for you...

I think the title should be "need suggestions for my first direct lung rta single coil"

Sub ohm tank is what people call the direct lung atomizers that use disposable coils....

Keep in mind that with direct lung u may need to use ejuice with less nicotine what u use on mtl...and with more vg instead of pg

vapemate93

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2016
Most sub ohm coil tanks use plug and play coils, which are vertical coils and the airflow goes up through the center of the coil, the outside of the coil is wrapped in cotton, and coils are usually made from coiled kanthal or stainless steel or mesh. Not many sub ohm tanks have separate rebuildable coil inserts, but a few did/do. I can't really tell you which new modern tanks have rebuildable inserts. Maybe someone better versed will help out. I can recommend the Oxva Arbiter rebuildable tank, which I do have and totally enjoy, and which has hellacious airflow if you want it too, and will fit quite large coils if you care to use them.

thanks for your reply I’ve just watched a video on it and the oxva art biter you mentioned looks exactly the sort of thing I’m looking for might pick it up! Thanks for your detailed reply very helpful

vapemate93

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2016
Curios does anybody else do MTL and DL ,O e benefit I can see with DL is on a morning I simply can’t MTL until I wake up a bit I will just cough regardless of juice or nic levels. Having a dl handy I could blow a few hoots and get the nic I need instantly.

For any confusion a dl tank like Cavecurby kindly mentioned is something like what I’m looking for. A dual coil dl RTA not a sub ohm tank I do apologise, I only keep up to date with MTL tanks so I have no clue on dl tanks as you can probably tell.

I’ve only just found out that sub tanks are mesh after years of vaping lol

Reactions: wvducklady

wvducklady

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
US
Curios does anybody else do MTL and DL ,O e benefit I can see with DL is on a morning I simply can’t MTL until I wake up a bit I will just cough regardless of juice or nic levels. Having a dl handy I could blow a few hoots and get the nic I need instantly.

For any confusion a dl tank like Cavecurby kindly mentioned is something like what I’m looking for. A dual coil dl RTA not a sub ohm tank I do apologise, I only keep up to date with MTL tanks so I have no clue on dl tanks as you can probably tell.

I MTL vape and sometimes DL as well! I use my Kanger stm and top fill and ares 2 for mtl vaping , but I also use my Kanger top fill with a drop in coil for dl vaping . Like you I wanted to dl vape just a little bit.

Reactions: Superuser187

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Sorry my bad I got confused, I meant I want to try dtl but with a tank that I can make my coils my self which I got confused with sub ohm. I honestly thought they were the same thing, lol tells you how much I only MTL vape lol

It's ok i had made the same "mistake" like 3 months ago....that's why we are here to learn and to answer questions :p

I guess a single coil direct lung rta is what u want...
Hellvape destiny rta is a good one if want to try

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    What RTAs do you currently own that you use for MTL?

If they have adjustable airflow enough to do a restricted DL draw on, you can just put a sub-ohm coil in there and do DL. That way you don't have to buy a new tank before you know if it will be worth it for you.

And if the airflow cannot be opened for a restricted DL, then you can always slipstream DL , meaning you put your lips around the drip tip very loosely with space on each side of the drip tip that way when you do a DL inhale you are bringing in air not just from your tank, but also from the spaces of your open lips.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens

About the morning.....i vape mtl and rdl and dl I like all styles of vaping but int he morning I usually start with mtl or direct lung small hits with airflow wide open...
    I mean if u find it hard to vape first puffs in the morning in mtl then direct lung will seem harder probably :p

Reactions: Lio M

vapemate93

ECF Veteran
    Jun 13, 2016
    What RTAs do you currently own that you use for MTL?

If they have adjustable airflow enough to do a restricted DL draw on, you can just put a sub-ohm coil in there and do DL. That way you don't have to buy a new tank before you know if it will be worth it for you.

And if the airflow cannot be opened for a restricted DL, then you can always slipstream DL , meaning you put your lips around the drip tip very loosely with space on each side of the drip tip that way when you do a DL inhale you are bringing in air not just from your tank, but also from the spaces of your open lips.

true , a kayfun lite 21 is the only current tank i have . That's interesting i never thought of that.

Reactions: Superuser187

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    thanks for your reply I’ve just watched a video on it and the oxva art biter you mentioned looks exactly the sort of thing I’m looking for might pick it up! Thanks for your detailed reply very helpful

Oh since u want dual coil rta then the arbiter is very nice...also I think it can work single coil with good results also...go check it tho cause it's kinda biggy and need a thic mod to look good :p

• Agree
    Reactions: Lio M

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    true , a kayfun lite 21 is the only current tank i have

So you probably can't do a decent DL on that RTA, even restricted (but you can try). But you can try slipstream.

You don't have to use a subhohm coil, just to slipstream with the coil you normally use and at the wattage you normally use and see how that goes in the morning for you. Introducing the cool air mixed with the vapor from the tank might be what you need to not cough when you vape when you first wake up. I have my doubts that a subhom tank will solve that problem to be honest. But slipstreaming on your current RTA might

Reactions: Izan

vapemate93

ECF Veteran
    Jun 13, 2016
    So you probably can't do a decent DL on that RTA, even restricted (but you can try). But you can try slipstream.

You don't have to use a subhohm coil, just to slipstream with the coil you normally use and at the wattage you normally use and see how that goes in the morning for you. Introducing the cool air mixed with the vapor from the tank might be what you need to not cough when you vape when you first wake up. I have my doubts that a subhom tank will solve that problem to be honest. But slipstreaming on your current RTA might

so with the kayfun i do do that sometimes ,pacifically on a morning, although this sounds stupid as i primally mtl , as much as i like mtl im very sensative to mtl hits. I literally vape high vg eoth nic salts and only then at 6mg other wise i cough real easy. i can dl it at 20 w and i dont cough at all which is why i think id benafit with a dl tank to work a long side my main setup.

can see it being beneficial getting big nic hits fast as as mich as i love mtl it takes me a while to get my satisfied nic lefel on 6mg at 12 w lol

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    so with the kayfun i do do that sometimes ,pacifically on a morning, although this sounds stupid as i primally mtl , as much as i like mtl im very sensative to mtl hits. I literally vape high vg eoth nic salts and only then at 6mg other wise i cough real easy. i can dl it at 20 w and i dont cough at all which is why i think id benafit with a dl tank to work a long side my main setup.

can see it being beneficial getting big nic hits fast as as mich as i love mtl it takes me a while to get my satisfied nic lefel on 6mg at 12 w lol

Have you tried regular nicotine instead of nic salts?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread