Subtank mini RBA muted flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.

happytree

Nov 19, 2015
Hi guys,
I'm relatively new to vaping, so I'm not very knowledgeable about all the new stuff out there. I currently have a kanger subtank mini with an IPV D2 mod. Yesterday, i was running a 27g 0.7 ohm coil, great flavor, lasted me for about 4 days (I like to change coils at least once or twice a week, dry burn them after every tank). Then yesterday noon, I realized my coil was getting some burnt taste, so I changed the cotton and the coil. Got a 28g, 5 wraps, 0.8 ohm coil.

Using the exact same juice in the same tank, the flavor just got muted. I'm vaping a local juice, supposedly fanta grape flavor. The flavor got muted in a sense that it's just minty, the grape flavor is not nearly as intense. I tried it with other juices, changed cotton, change coil, the results are the same. I went to my local vape shop, two other guys working in the shop noticed the muted flavor as well. Changed to use their coil, use their cotton, use their mods, change flavors, all the same, the flavor is just not as intense as before. They couldn't figure out why, and I'm pretty sure all three of us didn't just happen to get vapor's tongue at the same time. The only thing I haven't tried is using a new subtank mini to test the flavor to compare, but I'm currently broke and don't have the money to buy a new tank.

If you guys have any idea what's going on with my tank, please do tell, I'm worried I have to buy a new tank.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
The Subtank is a great tank for the price, I have several.

Did you lift your coil the same distance of the deck as you did with the previous build? If the coil is to close to the airhole/deck you'll get muted flavor. Get it about 2mm/2.5mm off the deck and I would be willing to bet your flavor improves.

I hope this works for you!

Reactions: MMW

happytree

Nov 19, 2015
The Subtank is a great tank for the price, I have several.

Did you lift your coil the same distance of the deck as you did with the previous build? If the coil is to close to the airhole/deck you'll get muted flavor. Get it about 2mm/2.5mm off the deck and I would be willing to bet your flavor improves.

I hope this works for you!
The position and the diameter of the coil is the same. The only difference is the gauge and that 0.1 ohm difference. I used 28g 5 wraps to get 0.8 ohms. The 0.7 ohms used 27g 5 wraps (it was wrapped by a guy working in a vape shop) which had the same flavor intensity as before. The most recent store i went, to test whats wrong with my subtank mini, used 26g 6 wraps to get 0.8 ohms. I checked the distance, all uses 2.4mm diameter to wrap, even wicking technique is the same.

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
I'd say you've either put a little too much cotton this time or not enough! That can change the flavor!

Did you change the settings any? Up the watts or lower them any?

Also... did you prime the cotton and coil before using? If not, you can scorch your cotton right off the bat and kill the flavor and make it taste muted or yucky until you change it again.

happytree

Nov 19, 2015
I'd say you've either put a little too much cotton this time or not enough! That can change the flavor!

Did you change the settings any? Up the watts or lower them any?

Also... did you prime the cotton and coil before using? If not, you can scorch your cotton right off the bat and kill the flavor and make it taste muted or yucky until you change it again.
The amount of cotton is the same as how much i've used before. And having to change the cotton 3 times by 3 different people using the same method of wicking should confirm that wicking is not the issue.

All the wattage was kept at 7 watts from when it was fine at 0.7 ohms till the time it changed flavors when i changed the coil to 0.8 ohms.

Priming is done the same usual way, as this is the RBA, just a couple of juices on the wicks and i put two drops of juice on the coil itself. After a couple pulls, checked the cotton, nothing burnt.

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
The amount of cotton is the same as how much i've used before. And having to change the cotton 3 times by 3 different people using the same method of wicking should confirm that wicking is not the issue.

All the wattage was kept at 7 watts from when it was fine at 0.7 ohms till the time it changed flavors when i changed the coil to 0.8 ohms.

Priming is done the same usual way, as this is the RBA, just a couple of juices on the wicks and i put two drops of juice on the coil itself. After a couple pulls, checked the cotton, nothing burnt.

Try upping your wattage just a bit... see if that helps! It's just a fluke! I've put juice in my tank like that before (everything the same) and had to up my wattage...

happytree

Nov 19, 2015
Try upping your wattage just a bit... see if that helps! It's just a fluke! I've put juice in my tank like that before (everything the same) and had to up my wattage...
I just changed the coil again, made it to 0.9 ohms, hoping the flavor would increase. Tried setting the wattage higher, so far the best wattage is at 17.5. However, the taste is still not the same as before, and I know it cuz its my favorite juice

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
I just changed the coil again, made it to 0.9 ohms, hoping the flavor would increase. Tried setting the wattage higher, so far the best wattage is at 17.5. However, the taste is still not the same as before, and I know it cuz its my favorite juice

I've noticed if I vape the same flavor a lot, over time I get immune to its taste! Maybe you are experiencing this? Try a different flavor for a while then switch back to this one! I bet it will make a difference!

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Vaper's tongue on all three people at the same time? Even my friend who doesn't vape regularly noticed a drop in flavor

Having others taste your juice isn't really telling us anything to be honest! They don't know what your juice tastes like to you! They may be just agreeing with you! People tend to do that! One never knows. It sounds more like a taste issue, not a mod/coil/wattage issue.

Try changing flavors for a day or so, then try your favorite again!! I bet it will make a huge difference!

Reactions: tomtstealhead

happytree

Nov 19, 2015
I've noticed if I vape the same flavor a lot, over time I get immune to its taste! Maybe you are experiencing this? Try a different flavor for a while then switch back to this one! I bet it will make a difference!
Oh definitely, my favorite is a mix of mango and blackcurrent. But because I have over 10 different juices, i rotate them every tank to prevent that situation from happening. But I'm pretty sure its not vaper's tongue. Does cleaning method make a big deal with the flavor? I simply run everything through tap water. Including the base, but i blow out all the water, and get tissue inside to dry it all up before I attack it back to the mod. Would the connection affect the flavor?

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Oh definitely, my favorite is a mix of mango and blackcurrent. But because I have over 10 different juices, i rotate them every tank to prevent that situation from happening. But I'm pretty sure its not vaper's tongue. Does cleaning method make a big deal with the flavor? I simply run everything through tap water. Including the base, but i blow out all the water, and get tissue inside to dry it all up before I attack it back to the mod. Would the connection affect the flavor?

I wouldn't think so! It should actually help keep it flavorful!

One thing you could consider is maybe it's nothing about you or your build, but maybe it's the juice itself! Is it a new bottle? Or has it been sitting a while? Some flavors tend to mute over time in premixed juices! And sometimes the nicotine takes over and mutes other flavors within the juice!!!

happytree

Nov 19, 2015
I wouldn't think so! It should actually help keep it flavorful!

One thing you could consider is maybe it's nothing about you or your build, but maybe it's the juice itself! Is it a new bottle? Or has it been sitting a while? Some flavors tend to mute over time in premixed juices! And sometimes the nicotine takes over and mutes other flavors within the juice!!!
I bought the juice less than 2 weeks ago, I even used the same juice from the store from their testers. At this point, im afraid i'll just go back to the store that coiled the 0.7 ohm coil and see if that makes it back to normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread