Success with a micro coil in the kayfun

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefAllDay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2013
Ft. Campbell, KY
So I sat down with youtube and all of my vape mail from the holidays, and fired up Rip Trippers channel on youtube. I decided on a chimney micro coil as the pbusardo build with ekowool wicks sort of just stunk IMHO.
Long story short, I almost fell out of my chair once this 1.4 ohm coil blasted me with vape and flavor. I actually had to notch the provari down to 3.6 in order to quell the kick to the back of the throat, as Rip put it.

The flavor is much different than the ikenvapes carto. I can't really place it, but I think it might be from my boiled organic cotton. How long do you guys let your tanks sit before your first vape?

e7u2anyv.jpg

Sent from my Xperia Z1

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
Did you remember to FULLY FIRE the coils BEFORE you put your wicks in? Because if you didn't, you are vaping metal fumes, machine oil, whatever coating they put on that wire...

Throat hit's the least of it, if you didn't... you are going to have a sore throat and a headache soon from whatever residue's on that wire...

You didn't read the long directions I posted for you from painful trial and error first did you:p?

You can fix it easy, just pull out the wicking and fully fire (til it all glows red for a few seconds), then put in new wicking and refill:).

ChiefAllDay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2013
Ft. Campbell, KY
Yep. I was testing out the coil and made sure it was glowing from the inside out. I would then use tweezers to make sure the coil was nice and compressed. Am I supposed to light up the coils for more than 5-6 times for around 3 seconds each fire?
The only part I was stumped on was how long I let my cotton dry before using after boiling it. I dried it with a few paper towels and then let it sit out while I built my coil.
Appreciate the help.

Tapatalking it up in HD on my Kindle Fire HDX

sunnata

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
voidness
As long as it stops 'hissing' and you no longer see any smoke/fumes from it, I call it good to go. 5-6 times for 3 secs sounds good to me..

most guides I seen will recommend to dry the cotton for 24 hours.

personally, I have tried 3 different brands of cotton, and have ordered a 4th brand that should arrive tomorrow or friday. I get this funky taste with cotton that I don't get from silica, but I have not tried boiling it yet. once my new order arrives, I want to boil some and that will be my final attempt with cotton. if it still tastes weird, I will give up on it for good.

ps - for drying it, I seen ppl recommend a metal strainer. probably speeds up the process and also helps the cotton breathe from all sides. I want to try it myself.

Last edited:

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal
Give Peaches and Cream yarn from Walmart ($4 for a lifetime supply) if your getting no joy from the cotton. I go back and forth in the KFL's with the micro coils between the cotton and yarn. I just boil a few feet for 10 minutes and hang it and let it dry. Sometimes with cotton I have found it to burn inside the coil. Haven't had that happen with the yarn. I use organic cotton balls from Walgreen's and don't boil them and found no taste to it.

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
I saw a PBusardo rebuild video (forgot which one), and noticed that he just used regular organic cotton balls that were just out of the bag.... so that's what I did, and it works fine, with no funny taste. I didn't boil... because it didn't look like he boiled either (once you boil, you don't have that same level of 'fluffy' you had out of the bag anymore). So I never tried boiling wicks... it doesn't taste bad at all.

But I'm comparing this to multiply cooked steel mesh wicks, which taste HOLY COW bad!! I even switched my Steam Turbine build to cotton. I'll go boil some cotton balls and see if there's a difference.

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
I took out the original cotton and used some plain white cloud cotton balls from wal-mart. I now have a different, but distinct, taste. I sort of think it's like I put cotton in my mouth. Only on the exhale though. Hrmph...
Tomorrow, I am going to yarn it up, lol. Thanks for the tip.

These are the organic cotton balls from CVS that I got that was recommended on multiple sites/threads)... they are very different from regular cotton balls, even tho big and fluffy (when you pull them apart, there's cotton chunks in the cotton, not uniform fibers like a normal cotton ball pulled apart):
CVS 100% Cotton Triple Size Organic Cotton Balls - CVS pharmacy

5042841821.jpg

Last edited:

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
I was thinking about this, and wondering... could it be the juice? That is, you are getting more flavor out of a cotton wick than you do out of a cartos... and maybe there was something that you weren't tasting with what you used before?

It's just odd that it could be the cotton ball, when it doesn't have any taste to it at all (stick one of those cotton balls in your mouth... you won't taste anything).

That or you didn't get all the machine oil out of the kayfun after you bought it. I did that first too... tried to use it without washing it really well, and I tasted machine oil. So I took it apart and boiled everything with dish soap (and it turned the water GREY), then rinsed fully, then soaked in hot vinegar for 1/2 an hour, stirred, rinsed again before I used it again, and that problem went away (well, til I hit the not fully cooked out kanthal taste:p).

ChiefAllDay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2013
Ft. Campbell, KY
I washed out the Kayfun in hot water for about 10 min, then soak it all in vodka for an hour. Then cleaned out the entire setup again with a q-tip. The part that bugs me is the flavor is still off from wick to wick. And still tastes off, but in a different way. And it's the aftertaste in the exhale that's sort of like a wet t-shirt.
Since wick changes are so easy I will try another one.
The juice is a 10 day steeped bottle of Bob's bounty that tastes fine using an ikenvape 801.

SpettroJoe

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Carthage, Mo
I washed out the Kayfun in hot water for about 10 min, then soak it all in vodka for an hour. Then cleaned out the entire setup again with a q-tip. The part that bugs me is the flavor is still off from wick to wick. And still tastes off, but in a different way. And it's the aftertaste in the exhale that's sort of like a wet t-shirt.
Since wick changes are so easy I will try another one.
The juice is a 10 day steeped bottle of Bob's bounty that tastes fine using an ikenvape 801.

100% VG.....well it might be your wicking, try putting a little less wick in the chamber so it may wick a little easier. i would say when you pull up the cotton to put the base of the chimney on it should be even with the top of it or a little less after its screwed down all the way, so that is doesnt pack to tight in the channels. i had to do this for 100%VG also to wick better, as i normally have about an 1/8th inch or more above the base when i start to pack it down with my normal 50/50 blend.

ChiefAllDay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2013
Ft. Campbell, KY
I got the same one, HCigar. It's pretty damn awesome. I will tell you some things I learned that should help when yours arrives.
1) There's a small rubber washer used with the bottom screw that's inside the 510 connector. Don't lose that. If you don't put the washer in, the unit will be so airy it's not even worth using. Took me two days to figure out I had forgotten to install it after the first washing.
2) The threads are all very dirty. Even after soaking in hot water, and then soaking in vodka for well over an hour, when I wiped the threads clean with either a q-tip or a paper towel, I was removing very visible machine oil. The wiping down process will take quite some time, because you will find that stuff everywhere.
3) The plastic tank is just plain junk. It's very easy to misthread. Thankfully the system comes with a SS tank but you can't see how much liquid you have installed, so it's sort of a catch 22. I am going to see about buying a pyrex version of the see thru tank, which would make the Kayfun complete.
4) If you don't have a needle tip for your juice bottles, definitely get one. I am having problems finding a plastic version, but the metal needle tipped juice bottle I have works wonders for refilling the Kayfun without taking it apart. The process is a bit slow, but it's pretty effective.

I am headed to walmart now to snag some yarn. Will let you know how that goes, and grats on your purchase!

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
I generally do 7-8 wraps of 28g, comes out to around 1.3ish ohms, and I use those same organic cotton balls from CVS. I don't boil them. I've found if I use too little wick the vapor production is off, but if you stuff too much in there you can get that burning inside the coil that mackman mentioned earlier. Keep playing with it, you'll find a good balance. I use just enough that I have to twist the cotton a little to get it to run through the coil, then snip it just past the rim of the base, point the tails up to screw on the chimney, then tuck it down toward the channels. Soak it good, assemble and fill, set my 'vari to about 4, 4.1 volts and vape away. Bliss. Most of my juices are 50/50, but it works just as well with Gorilla Juice, I just have to replace the wick a little more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread