Suddenly Unable to Taste E-Liquid Flavors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParrotLover

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2011
Southern California
I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this..... My wife and I both began vaping back on Feb. 4th, 2011.

My wife's favorite all time vape is Raspberry from Ms. T's Bakery. She has tried other flavors but hasn't cared for anything other than the Raspberry from Ms. T's. A few days ago, she began complaining that she cannot taste the raspberry flavor any longer. At first, I thought that maybe it was due to a dying arty (she uses a standard 510).

Well, that has been ruled out... Nothing is wrong with the atty and I was finally able to coerce her into trying a low res 510 atty. Nope, no improvement in being able to taste the raspberry flavor.

So I guess my question is.... Has anyone ever all of a sudden been unable to taste their liquids? Should she move up to a high voltage mod, try a low res 306, try a different vendor... etc???

I'm at a loss as to what we can do to get her to be able to taste her favorite flavor again. Now it's to the point that she cannot taste ANY flavors, not just the raspberry. Her nic level is 18mg.

As for me, I'm constantly vaping several flavors throughout the day so I've never had a problem. BTW, when I've tried vaping the raspberry liquid she's vaping, it tastes just like raspberry to me (which I don't care for LOL) so there's nothing wrong with the liquid itself. My wife says that she feels as if she's vaping unflavored liquid.

I'm hoping some of you more experienced vapors will be able to chime in and give some suggestions :blink:

Thanks so much for your help!

Last edited:

Raynen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2010
CT
gamingraynen.blogspot.com
Has she tried any other flavor, to see if she can taste anything else? Sometimes, the taste-buds will hit a "wall" where many flavors are dull, subtle, completely muted, or even slightly gross. It happens, and the best thing to do is to wait it out and drink lots of water.

Another thing is that vaping only one flavor can make your taste-buds used to it to the point that the flavor isn't there, which happened to me when I first started vaping. All I vaped was Strawberry. It took me about... 4 months to buy more strawberry because I didn't think I'd ever taste it (and I was sick of it, too!). Right now, I'm actually vaping it because I can actually taste it. :vapor:

My last suggestion is to desperately try and find another flavor for her. Would you be able to ask her what other flavors she'd be willing to try? How about another Raspberry but from a different vendor?

Let her know to hang in there and that we'll help her out! :vapor: Good luck :)

ParrotLover

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2011
Southern California
Thanks, Raynen.... As the matter of fact, I ordered some raspberry from two different vendors yesterday.... FreedomSmokeUSA (this one will have a double shot of raspberry and the other vendor was from Vapor Renu.

The FreedomSmoke order is already on it's way so hopefully we should get it by Tuesday.

I'm just mind boggled because she has also been saying that she's unable to taste sodas and whatnot. Foods aren't a problem, however. Weird.

db13berry

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2011
USA
This happens to me often. Very often.
I have tried brushing my teeth/tongue, salt water rinses, sorbet, yogurt, saltines, water, etc. etc. etc.
Usually I find that I just need to use a different flavor for a few days, and then go back to my fave flavor.
My taste buds are still changing and sometimes I think they want something different, so they "show me" and just go on hiatus.

Days when I can't taste anything, I can taste Atomic Cinnacide. That stuff "shows" those taste buds. Hrmph!

Last edited:

ParrotLover

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2011
Southern California
Thanks, DB. I keep seeing that Atomic Cinnacide pop up all over the place. Maybe I should at least grab a small bottle of that stuff.

I personally start my day with the milder flavors but then as the day progresses, I find that tasting some of my favorite flavors isn't so easy. By the end of the day, I'm frantically searching for my stronger flavors. By the following morning, the *cycle* repeats itself.

BTW.... Where can I find that Atomic Cinnacide?

Raynen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2010
CT
gamingraynen.blogspot.com
No problem, Parrot, keep us posted!

If your wife likes fruit flavors, have her try Vaporbomb's Peach! Very VERY juice, strong, great flavor. Their fruits are very great in general, but they made their Peach flavor stronger and juicier.

Again, it's probably a flavor-wall, but if you try to get her to like other flavors, then this will be less likely of a problem for that one flavor.

+Raynen

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US
I can't imagine vaping the same juice for months on end. Even with new favorites there comes a point where I feel, "I'm tired of this, it's time for something different." Usually this happens after two or three days.

Most of the flavor nuances come from the sense of smell. After all, we taste on our tongues only the sensations of sweet, sour, salty and bitter; the rest of the experience comes from our noses. After repeated experiences of the same scent, we seem to disregard it, because it's now just a ordinary smell, nothing special, nothing worth paying attention to.

A person can even become desensitized to even a strong, unpleasant smell. The first time I visited the plant where I now work, I smelled the odors from a chemical process which produced compounds called mercaptans. Mercaptans are also found in skunk scent. I asked the security guard "How long does it take to get used to that smell?!" He replied, "What smell?"

Yes, you could buy some Atomic Cinnacide and your wife would definitely taste it. It's impossible to not taste it, it grabs you by the throat and yells "I'M HERE!" But after vaping it for awhile, you're back to the original problem, only worse-- there's nothing stronger than AC to switch to, save perhaps a powerful menthol.

I suggest trying a flavor which is completely different from the usual raspberry, strong but not overpowering. Maybe coffee, maybe menthol. Citrus might work too. Think of the flavors she likes in candy, drinks and desserts, then look at reviews of these juice flavors or ask for recommendations for certain flavors.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
It's happened to me quite a bit and I haven't been doing this very long. Mine usually has to do with sinuses being congested or dry. Sometimes from allergies sometimes from a real dusty night at work. When I'm going through that there are only a few I can taste: mint/menthol, cinnamon, black licorice and most tobacco flavors. I don't know why but it seems like the tobacco flavors always come through, even when I can't taste the fruits. If I mix the fruits with the tobaccos I can at least get a hint of them until it passes. You might try mixing some with her raspberry and see if it helps.

zotzer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
Virginia
So I guess my question is.... Has anyone ever all of a sudden been unable to taste their liquids?

A few weeks into vaping, I lost all my ability to taste anything sweet. Even poured a packet of sugar on my tongue.....tasted like sand. It was miserable, but taste started to return in a day. Took a few days for things to be totally back to normal. Every now and then I will experience minor taste-bud burnout, but nothing like that experience. When I feel it coming on, I drink (even more) water and stay hydrated.

I also switch to menthol vape, as that seems to help wake things up.

Tell your wife to hang in there....she'll get through it.

LibertyValance

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
Tampa, FL
It happened to me too, and I was never able to taste my favorite flavor quite the same again. Eventually I just settled on mixing my favorite juice with a good menthol juice 50/50. I get a hint of what I used to taste, and the menthol TH similar to an analog. I'm happy about this in a way, as, if vaping tasted the way it did the week I started I would most likely vape continuously instead of just a few times a day as I do now. :p

ParrotLover

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2011
Southern California
So, Parrot, any updates?? I hope all is well! :)

Well, here's the scoop.... We both went to the store at different times yesterday and bought Saltines LOL! Needless to say, we won't be needing those anytime soon.

Last night, I ordered two bottles of Atomic Cinnacide from Tasty Vapor.... I bought the 10ml sample bottles. Unfortunately, those only come in 12mg and 24mg. We both currently vape 18mg nic (I used to vape 24mg and still have a few flavors of those, which is fine with me) but I got her the 12mg and 24mg for myself since she doesn't really like the 24mg.

For now, I told to to stop the raspberry completely, which she did and she's currently vaping a 6ml sample bottle of Rose Mint from Ms. T's Bakery that I purchased a couple of months ago. She says she can't really taste it, only a very, VERY faint mint.

None of the vendors are working today (understandably so) but I'm hoping that we'll receive the Atomic Cinnacide by the end of the week. I was also thinking of buying a 5ml bottle of FreedomSmokeUSA Arctic Menthol since she's having such a difficult time.

What are your thoughts on the Arctic Menthol from FSUSA? Think it will be strong enough?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread