Suggestions for a beginner on e-cig and nicotine concentration

Status
Not open for further replies.

PersonalWunder

May 22, 2018
Hi everyone, I've started from some months to smoke normal cigarettes and I really like it, but I already want to stop it to switch to the e-cigarette.
I've been taking psychiatric drugs for a while, I'm trying to stop or taking them less, so I started to smoke to help me in this, I usually smoke red cigarettes, sometimes blue, I alternate (from 0,60 to 0,90 mg of nicotine), I haven't developed a actual habit yet, I can stay without smoking for a while since I take other things, I don't smoke everyday, from 3 to 5 times a week, and when I do, I smoke from 6 to 10 each day, usually I smoke a lot in a row one after another.
I don't really have a habit as I said, I can simply stop smoking cigarettes in exchange of the e-cigarette, it's not a problem for me, I prefer the last one. The only thing I'm interested about is the effects of the nicotine, so I'm not dependent from the acton o things like that.

What e-cig do you suggest me?
I'm also good with one not for beginners, some advanced e-cig, possibly medium size, not too big, I don't want a flashy one and I don't care if it resembles the normal cigarette or not, the important thing is that it gives me my supply of nicotine :D

For the concentration of nicotine I wanna test various levels, the more powerful is the better is, I will not go directly to 18 mg/ml of course, I'll try to stop to 9 or 10 or whatever I can handle.
With which concentration do you suggest me to start?
Oh, and I don't want one of those e-cig that does huge vapor, I want something very simple, not flashy.

As a budget I can go with 100€ to 200€, I want something good.

Thanks in advance and have a nice day!

Reactions: stols001

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi and welcome,
I would suggest a Swedish snus product, but you appear to be in the EU and Big T/Big P got it banned in the early 90's.
Have you told your doctor(s) about your nicotine habit and your attempts to wean off of the medications you are prescribed?
Do you have a vape shop close to you?

Please list your location so we can provide more relevant assistance.
Snus info HERE
Cheers
I

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It's hard to recommend something based on what you are describing.

It's also not the greatest idea to use tobacco to substitute for psychiatric medications.

I'm going to agree and suggest you talk to your doctors about what is going on, and make sure that they understand you have been smoking and wish to switch to vaping (which yes, should be overall safer than smoking).

Nothing wrong with a beginner device to start, honestly. It's the way a lot of vapers start and if you want to substitute vaping for smoking in an ongoing way well, you'd likely want a back up vape in any case, so you could have something smaller and more pen-like to start and then see how vaping goes and possibly move on to a more "advanced" setup, although what that means is kind of different for everyone.

I'm assuming you are somewhere in Europe based on the currency you supplied, you may want to check out the international forums to get suggestions based on where you live.

Best of luck,

Welcome to ECF.

Anna

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
There are tons of different mods that could be recommended. Check out the APV section of this forum and do some reading to get an idea of what’s out there. A big thing you’ll need is an understanding of lithium ion batteries. That is the biggest danger with these mods and you need to know how to handle, charge/discharge these cells safely. Having said that stay with a regulated mod, learn about batteries, and know that subohm vaping will require lower nicotine levels than above one ohm vaping. It’s hard to just give you a recommendation until you know what you want. It takes awhile to understand all you need to know about ecigs but you are in the right place so that’s a good start. Just spend time reading plenty and asking questions when you need help. Good luck to you.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
If you dont have a nicotine habit, why do you want one? Nicotine to replace psych meds is NOT a good idea. Acquiring a nicotine habit otherwise is still not a good idea. Go back to your doctor. We are not doctors here. Im sorry, but your post offends me.

Nate5700

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2014
Jenks, OK, USA
Yes, as others have said I'd try to back off the tobacco/nicotine use if you haven't already acquired a habit.

You're basically making the same mistake I did so I didn't want to let it go without saying anything even though others have chimed in saying it's a bad idea. It worked for me at first, but with time I ended up back on the same meds I was trying to get away from and I now have an addiction that I can't be sure I'll ever be rid of.

It sucks.

Aescwynn

Apr 18, 2018
Atlanta
I have consulted a neurologist about vaping tiny amounts of nicotine to counterbalance the long-term effects of a number of meds I've had to take. He was surprisingly knowledgeable about vaping, understanding about my problems and was mainly concerned about dosage issue and possible addiction problems. Have you discussed your plans with your doctor before making this leap into self-medicating? If you don't like or trust the doctor who prescribed you these meds, surely there is some other professional you can consult.

Doctorvapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2017
I don't know your condition or why you need psych meds but if it is not advised by your doctor to slow or stop them please don't. Only under medical guidance should you stop psychiatric medicine otherwise the consequences can be more than you bargained for.

As for vaping, no I don't think that can replace your meds.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
ve started from some months to smoke normal cigarettes and I really like it,
Welcome and glad you joined.
I strongly recommend that you stop smoking normal cigarettes immediately and visit the closest Brick and Mortar Vape shop. Might ask them to show you a low cost (I would think you could find a kit under $30*) vape kit and juice that will help you quit smoking.
* It's not about how much you spend, it's about what pleases you. 18 mg. juice may be a good starting point.
Might like to read:
Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
Vaping and Inhaling: Everything You Need To Know
https://spinfuel.com/new-vapers-start/
ECigarette Academy: Essential Need to Know for New Vapers
Beginner – Guide To Vaping
Vaping 101: Here's Everything You Need to Know about Vaping
6 Quick & Useful Vaping Tips for Beginners
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...up-the-vaping-ladder-with-egos-and-mods.5058/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...nk-or-what-a-guide-to-juice-attachments.3230/

• Informative

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I was taking antidepressants for situational depression a few years ago. I had lost my job because of a medical disability, and it took two and a half years (with the help of a good disability attorney) to get disability benefits. In the meantime I had no income, quickly exhausted all of my savings, was evicted from my apartment, defaulted on a car loan, and had to move out of town into my brother's home, etc. Thank goodness for food stamps, Medicaid, and family.

I'm not sure if the antidepressants prescribed to me were helpful or not, but I didn't like them at all. It seemed like I was in a continuous brain fog. I personally believe they are often over-prescribed by physicians. Since my situation has improved, I've weaned myself off of the antidepressants. The brain fog has basically cleared.

I'm not advocating weaning yourself off of your psych meds; do it only under the supervision of your physician. It can be dangerous to suddenly stop taking them on your own. I only weaned myself off of them because I'm an RN and physician assistant and I'm pretty sure how to do it safely.

As far as e-cigarettes go, you should find some helpful information here:

Last edited:

Nate5700

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2014
Jenks, OK, USA
I'm not sure if the antidepressants were helpful or not, but I didn't like them at all. It seemed like I was in a continuous brain fog. I believe they are often over-prescribed by physicians. Since my situation has improved, I've weaned myself off of the antidepressants. The brain fog has basically cleared.

I'm not advocating weaning yourself off of your psych meds; do it only under the supervision of your physician. It can be dangerous to suddenly stop taking them on your own. I only weaned myself off of them because I'm an RN and physician assistant and I'm pretty sure how to do it safely.

Antidepressants may well be over-prescribed. I never reacted well to them, which is one of the reasons my doctor began to suspect I was bipolar. The bipolar meds I take have been a godsend for the most part. It's important to get the right treatment for whatever condition you have. If it's not working you should talk to your doctor about weaning off the treatment safely as Baditude suggests, and possibly try some other form of treatment. It took a long time of working with my doctor to get the meds right. It's important not to give up.

As far as smoking/vaping/nicotine/tobacco, I just wanted to offer up my experience as a warning. Even if you can be sure that you're doing it in a safe way, being addicted isn't a lot of fun. I'd love to just vape and enjoy it, but craving it and feeling like crap when I don't have it is awful. I'd rather someone vape than smoke if they're going to insist. But I'd say a low nic dose and caution are in order. And certainly don't try to use it to replace medication.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Hi everyone, I've started from some months to smoke normal cigarettes and I really like it, but I already want to stop it to switch to the e-cigarette.
I've been taking psychiatric drugs for a while, I'm trying to stop or taking them less, so I started to smoke to help me in this, I usually smoke red cigarettes, sometimes blue, I alternate (from 0,60 to 0,90 mg of nicotine), I haven't developed a actual habit yet, I can stay without smoking for a while since I take other things, I don't smoke everyday, from 3 to 5 times a week, and when I do, I smoke from 6 to 10 each day, usually I smoke a lot in a row one after another.
I don't really have a habit as I said, I can simply stop smoking cigarettes in exchange of the e-cigarette, it's not a problem for me, I prefer the last one. The only thing I'm interested about is the effects of the nicotine, so I'm not dependent from the acton o things like that.

What e-cig do you suggest me?
I'm also good with one not for beginners, some advanced e-cig, possibly medium size, not too big, I don't want a flashy one and I don't care if it resembles the normal cigarette or not, the important thing is that it gives me my supply of nicotine :D

For the concentration of nicotine I wanna test various levels, the more powerful is the better is, I will not go directly to 18 mg/ml of course, I'll try to stop to 9 or 10 or whatever I can handle.
With which concentration do you suggest me to start?

Oh, and I don't want one of those e-cig that does huge vapor, I want something very simple, not flashy.

As a budget I can go with 100€ to 200€, I want something good.

Thanks in advance and have a nice day!

Your psychiatric medications were prescribed to you as a non smoker.
Smoking affects how these medications work for you.
You are asking members of a forum to prescribe a dosage of nicotine for you to use to not take your medications...
Nope.

Contact your doctor and discuss this with him.

Closing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread