Suggestions for a good fairly large dripper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
So usually I wouldn't even really consider the idea, but I purchased a Vaporshark rDNA40 a couple weeks back. Granted, I bought it because I wanted the wattage, and it has a very easily accessible battery panel for swapping out your batteries. Unfortunately my order got caught up in all the CyberMonday sales and I'm looking at like 30 business days to process now...

But as I watched videos and learned just what this evolv DNA 40 can do, I became more and more intrigued at the possibilities. I'm honestly not a coil building person. I tried it years ago when you still used SS mesh wick and whatnot and never could get it to work so I lost patience and haven't tried it since.

But with the temperature abilities of the dna 40, along with the advances in rebuildables since my failed attempts, I'm wanting to give it another shot. I'm wanting to go with a dripper style, because with the advances that Kanger and Aspire are making, I don't see a whole lot of use of getting the kayfun/russian. The thing is, I know NOTHING about this stuff as far as the brands, styles, or anything. I understand how to build the coils and wicks, the principles behind it, calculating my ohms, watts, volts, etc.... But as far as brands or styles, no clue. I am aware to take advantage of the temperature ability on the dna40 you have to use nickel rather than kanthal though.

I watched a video of a (they said it was technically a clone) of a TOBH that was made for 26650 mods, I believe it was 28mm?? From Tobeco?? Something similar to that, which has a wide base I can cram a lot of cotton into and put the coils on easily. It hanging over the sides of my mod isn't going to bother me. Or something similar to what he's using in this youtube video:
http://youtu.be/IVFaEJaBpBo

So any thoughts or suggestions on one of these??? Also seeing as I'm new to building, I was going to ask what are your more preferred gauges in kanthal to build with, and what kind of gauge would be best suited for the nickel coils?? I've heard it's much softer, so I'd assume you wouldn't keep the same gauge.

BrushyHillGuide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Sabinal, TX
I wouldn't even consider building with Nickel wire before you learn to do it with kanthal. It's exponentially more difficult to work with.

Get a dripper that's renowned for its easy of building on. Get some 28g and 30g kanthal if you're wanting to prepare for building with nickel. Once you're comfortable building with them, try building with 28g ni200. You'll want a longer 6-32 machine screw to build on with the nickel wire. They're readily available at a decent hardware store.

I don't know anything about the Tobh. I use one of my Lemos for building on with nickel and it's pretty fantastic. Easy to build on and incredible flavor/clouds with the convenience of a tank. Also, my Plume Veil 1.5 is really great; but not quite as easy to build on as those Lemos.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
The lemo isn't, it's a rebuildable tank atomizer that's far airier than the Kayfun/Russian, from what I hear, and comes only in 23mm. I've also seen the flash-e vapor, as well as erlkonigen, seem to have nice wide decks, useful for nickel wire.

Most drippers, like the plume veil, have clones available in either 22mm or the larger 28/30mm sizes.

I'd recommend looking for something that's got 4 post holes, because it makes dual coils much easier. The plume veil is great for vapor, not so great on capacity. I don't own many RDA's, but the plume veil is my favorite so far.

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
Yeah I just looked at the Plume and it seems very much like the TOBH, though the TOBH has a bit of a ridge going around the base that seems it would allow for a bit more wicking material.

Basically... I couldn't build using the older ones like the Genesis and others that used ss mesh wicks and I've never tried since. I decided to try sub-ohming simply because of the tanks Aspire and Kanger have out. Well, my Aspire Atlantis has an air leak so I'm getting next to no vapor and just this morning it developed a leak and began seeping liquid. I also got the Aerotank Turbo quad coil, which is registering at 0.9ohm. It's hitting great but the tank is a HORRIBLE design. So if I'm not cautious with it and make sure everything is nice and tight, it leaks as well... and I'm just determined to make the next step. But in my mind, that's going to be dripping. I'm ordering another Atlantis in a couple of days when I get paid because everyone I talk to claims its vapor production is right on par with like the kayfun and Russians.. So I figure why go there when these clearo tanks can do what they can now? And I just want to skip to dripping, especially for when my rDNA 40 comes in.

Foggyroomz

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2014
Indiana
There are plenty of 28-30 mm 26650 size dripping atty's out there like the asmodus, stillare, tobh, zenith V3, DDD , Hades, cerberus, Hcigar Mega and Mega V2 the mega is 5 post design with 4 negative posts and 1 positive the mega V2 is 3 negative with a 3 way triangular positive post allowing for a variety of build combinations. There are probably more than this out there but these are the ones that I have experience with and I believe they have a 26650 size Plume Veil as well and the Plume Veil is awesome for airflow and easy to build on thanks to the T-block positive post, I have the 22mm version and really like it.

ProjektMayhem

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2014
Mooresville, NC, USA
I love my TOBH. It's definitely in my top 3 drippers. Numero uno being my Dark Horse. But the TOBH is super easy to build on. I'm sure the 26650 version is even easier because of the width of it. With Ni200 wire you're going to want some 28g or 30g. With kanthal I usually build with 24g wire. I like low resistance builds though. For just getting started use some 28g wire.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Because of the way the airflow works on the TOBH, you'll only be able to use it with dual coils. Well, technically I suppose you can stuff something in the other airflow holes, but it'd be kind of messy.

I'd vote for the Magma as well. I am using one right now - simple micro coil (28ga.) coming in right at 0.9 ohms. At around 13-15 watts it really gives terrific flavor and the vapor production is decent when it's set wide open.

I find I don't have to do anything special with it, no super low ohm builds, no fancy coil building necessary and the airflow is adjustable on the fly with a twist of the ring so you can change the flavor and vapor to suit without messing with your build.

It's also really is easy to build on, it holds a lot of e-liquid and can be used with single coil or dual coils. I like the way the deck is milled too. The coil sits above a small hole in the deck where the air flows. This helps you because you are not reaching down into a drip cup like on some, and your coil is pretty much perfectly positioned for maximum flavor and minimum harshness due to poor airflow.

I too had a hell of a time back in the day trying to build with mesh. This is nothing like that at all. With a little practice, you'll be building, wicking and mounting in just a few minutes.

I think it's the best atty I own. My TOBH is great too, but the Magma is the one I find myself reaching for more often than not.

flippant

Dec 14, 2014
An Island
Gotta throw my hat in for the Atomic to learn to build on. Deck's small, but that teaches you to build tidy, which I appreciate. The real appeal for me is it's got different sized airholes as well as the option to use a single, so you can learn to build single coils first and move on to duals when you're comfy (though now that you can crank stuff up to 40w, a single coil may be plenty). Doesn't have any real well to speak of, though, so it doesn't hold a ton of juice, and it's got three posts, so dual builds are the tiniest bit tricky. EHPro clones're sufficiently high quality and quite cheap (and did I mention that it being little gives it .....in' flavor?).

If you do wanna plunge into dual coils straight off and a big roomy juice well is on your priorities list then I'd also mention the Holmes. Dreamy engineering so it hits all the high points (excellent flavor, practically leak proof, great airflow, heatfins keep tips cool), and it's cheaper than hell ('cause China, y'know) but isn't actually a clone.

Don't know anything firsthand about Nickel builds, so I'll just parrot everyone and say to learn with Kanthal (start with 28 and 26 gauge, probably) and watch dna40 build tutorial vids in the meantime.

jchisholm

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2014
Nova Scotia
The lemo isn't, it's a rebuildable tank atomizer that's far airier than the Kayfun/Russian, from what I hear, and comes only in 23mm. I've also seen the flash-e vapor, as well as erlkonigen, seem to have nice wide decks, useful for nickel wire.

Most drippers, like the plume veil, have clones available in either 22mm or the larger 28/30mm sizes.

I'd recommend looking for something that's got 4 post holes, because it makes dual coils much easier. The plume veil is great for vapor, not so great on capacity. I don't own many RDA's, but the plume veil is my favorite so far.

Yes but avoid anything with 4 posts (5 including the center post)
I have a 28mm Tobh clone (v3) and although it has a huge deck the 4 posts make it next to impossible to get a decent dual coil build.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Magma and Plume Veil are both great. You might want to check out the nucleus as well; although it only comes in 22mm (I think) you pull the coil mount completely out when coiling, which makes it easy to work with; you're not trying to reach down inside a well.

Also, you mention "A lot of wick" which isn't necessarily the best. Although long wicks help hold more fluid and therefore can limit leaking, the coil then has to suck the juice through a long length of wick, which can lead to dry hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread