Suggestions for My First TC SS316 Dual Coil Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Hope everyone is weathering the storm...

So I want to give TC a shot, usually build mixed twisted kanthal coils, and I want to get a somewhat comparable vape without starting with a simple single wire build and experimenting for a long time.
This build is for an Aromamizer Plus 30mm RTA with a postless deck. The only SS wire I have so far is 28g 316L round wire.
Right now in the RTA are 2 twisted fused clapton coils (Demon Killer wire but usually I twist my own wire) 6 wrap 2.5 ID, resistance .21 together, .42 single. The mixed twisted I am happiest with and have built and used the most over a few years are 3 strand kanthal, 26g round, 28g round, and .8x.1 flat wire twisted pretty tight. 7 wrap 2.5id, anywhere from .18 to .28 I'm pretty happy. I find personally with the way I vape that if I go larger on inner diameter I get less flavor, lower than 2.5 and I'll get dry hits.
Here's what I really want for performance: I vape heavy with full airflow and the Aromamizer has plenty, large cloud, but it also has a Lot of flavor.
I'm running these .21 claptons at 78 to 80 watts, 4.04v, and tend to run my usual twisted coils anywhere from 65 to 90 watts in general. It's a pretty warm vape with a lot of airflow.
My thoughts are to try a 3 strand 28g twisted 7 wrap and see what it do ;)
Maybe someone else has some serious experience similar to what I want? I appreciate any thoughts.

Reactions: stols001

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If all you have is 28G 316L, your options are either a simple round coil or dual or triple twisted to build your coils. The simple round will not hold up well for large cloud and large flavor on a 30 mm Aromamizer. I would use a dual or triple twisted wire to make dual coils. Even those are a bit small for a chamber and airflow that large. But go with what you have and see how it turns out. I would not judge the outcome solely on that one build as to the utility of TC when using a non-optimal build for such a large RTA. What device are you running that on? The quality of TC offered by the mod is as important as the quality of your build if you want to judge the benefits of TC over power mode.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
@Eskie good point about device. I'm using a Smoant Cylon. From what I've heard I think it does TC at least ok.
What kind of coil are you thinking would be better for me? I don't make clapton wire myself or anything complicated (mixed twisted is pretty easy), but I'm not opposed to trying something different.

Reactions: stols001

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I love AVS. Good quality SS at decent prices. I'd go with some fused Claptons maybe 28 or 26X2 enough wraps to get you at 0.2 ohm in dual parallel (0.4 each), or even 0.25 ohm each coil for 0.13 ohm total. I think the Cylon is good to 0.1 ohm in TC but double check the specs, might be no lower than 0.15 ohm in which case adjust accordingly. A triple fused 28X3 may be another option.

Bottom line it's a giant deck and chamber. Great for cloud but up front really not a flavor chaser setup by any means. The Cylon is OK at TC but not great. The low resistance will challenge it, but you need high metal mass to get the best out of that tank. Another option before ordering anything is to one, try the triple twisted, or two, go for parallel builds with the 28G you have. You have plenty of room, so an 8 wrap parallel may give you enough surface area to make it work. Just double check the resistance with Steam Engine to see how many wraps fit a rational resistance.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
If all you have is 28G 316L, your options are either a simple round coil or dual or triple twisted to build your coils. The simple round will not hold up well for large cloud and large flavor on a 30 mm Aromamizer. I would use a dual or triple twisted wire to make dual coils. Even those are a bit small for a chamber and airflow that large. But go with what you have and see how it turns out. I would not judge the outcome solely on that one build as to the utility of TC when using a non-optimal build for such a large RTA. What device are you running that on? The quality of TC offered by the mod is as important as the quality of your build if you want to judge the benefits of TC over power mode.
I agree. I used an aromamizer plus for a long time and I found one way around the large chamber problem is to use large diameter coils. 3.5mm or bigger. I’ve put +6mm single coil builds in an aromamizer plus and made it work. Most coil rods max out at 3.5mm though which makes it hard. I happen to own an electronic gauge (I once called it a micrometer but it turns out that is the wrong term) so what I did was measure various round metal things about my house until I found something suitable. I think i wound up using the handle of an aluminum crochet hook to wrap the coils around.
One common option I’ve seen is metric drill bits. They have their diameters marked. A larger diameter will allow for a longer wire to fit which means you can use more wires in your twist. Iirc I used 7 once. It very well could have been for a gigantic single coil.

One thing to remember is that SS316L is a different metal than kanthal and will have different resistance so identical coils made out of each metal will not read the same. A coil building calculator app could come in handy in this instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread