• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Suggestions/Not vape related

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphafemale

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Marshall, Michigan
We have a 20 year old Culligan water softener system. I'm looking to upgrade/change to something better as we are getting too worn out to haul salt bags to the basement and the dang thing keeps filling up our septic tank.

What do you all have (if anything)?
How do you like it?
Where do I get it?

What about the reverse osmosis?

Thanks all :)

walkman4169

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2009
south warren
Wish I could help you there Alpha

1) Tap water
2) It's ok but I prefer bottled(or better yet Coke)
3) I think mine comes from the Detroit River:ohmy:

Hope that cheered you up( It sounds like there may be a better upgrade than a 20 year old Culligan...someone will ring in!)

:)Wiz!
i have to correct you there mr wiz yours comes from the warren treatment plant via st. clair

zomzom

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2010
Kalamazoo, Michigan
theres some decent filters that screw right on to the tap they run around $40 and the replacement filters around $30 for a 3 pack. I just use the britta pitcher it works well enough that i can taste the diffrence between it and water from the tap. My personal favorite though is water filtered by anheiser-bush lol

Can one bathe in that? :D

mistinthewoods

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Brooklyn, MI
Hi Alpha. I live in the country and we have a system that works very well. I don't know the brand name on the softener but it uses salt. The system also has a Puritan iron breaker in it. We just bought this house 5 years ago and this stuff was here so I don't know the cost. We do have to schlep bags of salt from the local hardware store too.
I would get out the yellow pages and call a water treatment company. They should know what the alternatives are.

alphafemale

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Marshall, Michigan
Ok, thanks everyone.

I've learned that wiz drinks/bathes and does his laundry in his recycled pee, walkman has the same water pitcher that I have but would rather drink/bathe and do his laundry in beer, mist is riding in the same boat with me and somewhere zomzom has a video that she probibly will not share without charging the price of admission-your all just as nutty as I am.

Must be something in the Michigan water......LMAO

mistinthewoods

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Brooklyn, MI
Ok, thanks everyone.

I've learned that wiz drinks/bathes and does his laundry in his recycled pee, walkman has the same water pitcher that I have but would rather drink/bathe and do his laundry in beer, mist is riding in the same boat with me and somewhere zomzom has a video that she probibly will not share without charging the price of admission-your all just as nutty as I am.

Must be something in the Michigan water......LMAO

Ain'tcha glad ya asked? :p

Twinkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2009
I use a water cooler for drinking water. It doesn't solve the hauling salt problem unless you have it delivered. However Absopure is pretty reasonable on delivery. If memory serves, four Primo bottles will run you about $28/month at Kroger or Lowe's and Absopure will deliver four bottles each month for about $35.

A water filter isn't going to fix hard water, and replacement filters in a whole-house system aren't very cheap. You might be better off setting your softener to regenerate less often (so it isn't filling your septic tank with clean water).

mookieb

Jul 11, 2010
Mid-Michigan
I can't help with the whole house water softener question since we also do the bagged salt thing, but I do have a reverse osmosis filter for my drinking/cooking water. It's just a real small system (holds 3 gallons at a time) through Culligan, but I LOVE it. When we bought our house in the middle of nowhere I knew we had awful water because the stainless steel sink was entirely red. When Culligan came out to install our water softener they ran their test and our hard water reading was some outrageous number like 450 ppm. (I didn't think it could go that high without resulting in death or something)

With the reverse osmosis it brought the reading down to under 30. I prefer my "tap" water now over bottled water. Unfortunately the reverse osmosis system we have can't be used for the whole house, but I would recommend it for cooking and drinking at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread