Status
Not open for further replies.

harmonic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Desoto, Mo
how about just add "Removable batteries and Chargers" on the left product menu below acessories that would open the 18xxx battories page or better yet a menu page with links to the 18xxx and such battery page, a chargers page that could include both ego and mod batt chargers - all of it another link to say the ego batteries, and say one for the 510 and so on the links gould even just repoint to existing places and maybe even leave them in those places too so they can be found either way. then if somebody is thinking its and accessory they can find it there and accomadate both trains of thought

peejsoda

Apr 30, 2012
Oakland
I think the interface is okay. Sometimes though, the "New Products" and "Monthly Special" can overwhelm a specific category you're browsing in and possibly think they're related. Maybe you can organize these in a couple links to the left or in their own sections?

And has anyone used the "search" box? That's always a better alternative, if you know what you're looking for.

wacdenney

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2011
Georgia
I agree that the best way to improve would be to rework the categories based more on standard practices by all ecig sites. kits and batteries for example. atomizers and accessories for another.

It's not that the site looks bad at all, It's just a matter of not being able to find what you're looking for.

Harplayr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Florida
Last edited:

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA
The way we display variations in color for a product is done is for inventory purposes. The software will not track inventory when you make your color choice (or w/e) an attribute of one product page listing. I can install a mod that does this BUT it is prone to be buggy. Also as harplayer stated when you have each color or variations listed seperately it does have certain advantages.

AG51

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Dat Way →
The way we display variations in color for a product is done is for inventory purposes. The software will not track inventory when you make your color choice (or w/e) an attribute of one product page listing. I can install a mod that does this BUT it is prone to be buggy. Also as harplayer stated when you have each color or variations listed seperately it does have certain advantages.
I like to color Mr Dannomans
thumbnail18.jpg
want me to helps you ? :blink:

1truk

Oct 25, 2012
Tulsa
I'm not into vendor bashing and not attempting to do it now. However, I've purchased several times from this site and will continue to do so, but If I'm being totally honest I too have found it to be a bit frustrating navigating their site for things, all of which I knew they had. When this happens I just find it somewhere else and buy it. Their "search" function seems to be lacking and I would wager this is probably costing them some business. Again, I'm sure I will purchase from them again but have no problem going elsewhere when I have issues finding things that I know they carry.

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA
Out of all the suggestions made so far one that may be ripe for a break out is the Battery and Chargers. I have also been looking at Javascript so that when you roll over a category in the left hand navigation bar/area it will sprout a listing of products in that area or just a simple text box that gives more info YET when you implement things like this you also can run into other problems such as: Does the pop up get in the 'dang' way when you didn't meant to sprout it? Is the javascript buggy, etc...

Also since having shipping moved to Texas at the end of May I really haven't had the time to audit things like this and do maintenance in those areas. Case in point, our top banner: Those took me a week to design and implement on the site when I originally did them. I do have a template made now to update those slides but I simply have not had time to update. As we are growing and I am able to hire workers to handle more of the physical operations of shipping and inventory here, I can turn my attention more to keeping areas like that fresh. I am also still very involved with our ticketing system and returns etc.; when product comes in, creating our new product roll out with photos, descriptions, thread rollouts, etc. Then there are miscellaneous things like when we had the Phoenix Tank recall or BalloonGate (or Telescope Madness), I am organizing those things and have to do the credits manually and physically, issue coupon codes, communicate to customers, etc.

What I am trying to say is your sugestions aren't and will never be taken lightly. I just wanted to let you know what is up to help you be patient with me : ) Overall I think our site is one of the better looking e-cig related sites as far as its look, graphics, etc.

Oh and by the way besides all of that stuff a certain monkey sends me crayoned drawings and demands I 'grade' them and then pesters me constantly that I could use them instead of all that silly photography. >.>

trevor148

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2011
Thomasville, GA
I'll help out since you busy. You know how I mentioned that categories need a picture of all the products in them for example the ego clearomizer line category, just send me one of each product and I'll line them all up take a picture and label them all in the picture. No returns on the products sent :)

;) - danno

Last edited by a moderator:

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA
Thank you - just remember it does have a logic. For instance if you are looking for a 'Stardust eGo clearo' you look in the laft navi and would rightfully assume it is in the cartomizers area. Instead of 150 listings showing EVERY carto we cary I have that area broken down logically wherever I can. Its an eGo clearo so look there and there you have them.

You have heard so much about those ViVi Nova tanks, so therefore, look in GotVapes tanks.

If you are looking for a new kit or a mod, you look at that short list in the left navi, and would rightfully assume it is in the e-cig kits and batteries area. Because the other options are simply cartos, tanks, juice, it would HAVE to be there.

Basically EVERYTHING we have in our inventory is broken down into those 6 or 7 main cats then subdivided from there.

I seriously cannot think of any more efficient way to do it other than implementing some sort of telepathic neural connection where the site emits and receives brain waves and automatically displays whats on your mind. But then that might get in the way too ;) - My point is nothing is THAT difficult to find there. Go to Amazon sometime or most any site and no matter what, you do have to invest a bit of ferreting about at times. And contrary to most sites that are e-cig related ours is much much easier. Believe me I study and look. Have you ever been to a site and found an item but can't figure out where the consummables for that product are? I am speaking of coil heads or replaceable cartos, etc., mainly. With many sites you have everything thown at the wall or impossibly long lists on the left that seem to have very little logic with items scattered all over the place. Talk about going cross-eyed! I could name names but I won't.

I'm not into vendor bashing and not attempting to do it now. However, I've purchased several times from this site and will continue to do so, but If I'm being totally honest I too have found it to be a bit frustrating navigating their site for things, all of which I knew they had. When this happens I just find it somewhere else and buy it. Their "search" function seems to be lacking and I would wager this is probably costing them some business. Again, I'm sure I will purchase from them again but have no problem going elsewhere when I have issues finding things that I know they carry.

Last edited:

zippersnapper

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2012
I'll help out since you busy. You know how I mentioned that categories need a picture of all the products in them for example the ego clearomizer line category, just send me one of each product and I'll line them all up take a picture and label them all in the picture. No returns on the products sent :)

;) - danno

GV has the best images of there product out of all vendors IMO. I would be interested in knowing what his equipment of choice is. Looks very professional Cam, lights, maybe a light box, the whole 9 yards.

I realize they use images supplied by the Manufacture, BEFORE they actually get them, but after that....they are really nice.

A++ Photography...

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
Thank you - just remember it does have a logic. For instance if you are looking for a 'Stardust eGo clearo' you look in the laft navi and would rightfully assume it is in the cartomizers area. Instead of 150 listings showing EVERY carto we cary I have that area broken down logically wherever I can. Its an eGo clearo so look there and there you have them.

You have heard so much about those ViVi Nova tanks, so therefore, look in GotVapes tanks.

If you are looking for a new kit or a mod, you look at that short list in the left navi, and would rightfully assume it is in the e-cig kits and batteries area. Because the other options are simply cartos, tanks, juice, it would HAVE to be there.

Basically EVERYTHING we have in our inventory is broken down into those 6 or 7 main cats then subdivided from there.

I seriously cannot think of any more efficient way to do it other than implementing some sort of telepathic neural connection where the site emits and receives brain waves and automatically displays whats on your mind. But then that might get in the way too ;) - My point is nothing is THAT difficult to find there. Go to Amazon sometime or most any site and no matter what, you do have to invest a bit of ferreting about at times. And contrary to most sites that are e-cig related ours is much much easier. Believe me I study and look. Have you ever been to a site and found an item but can't figure out where the consummables for that product are? I am speaking of coil heads or replaceable cartos, etc., mainly. With many sites you have everything thown at the wall or impossibly long lists on the left that seem to have very little logic with items scattered all over the place. Talk about going cross-eyed! I could name names but I won't.

obviously everyone would have differing opinions and really not my business, although several places in thread there are requests for suggestions, so here goes.

In general I agree the categories are OK. There could be improvement though. Sometimes it is tough when you create something not to see what an outsider sees.

For example the first two categories I think are kind of weak. GV StartMeUp! New Vaper Kits > There are only 2 kits under this category. Why wouldn't you list all the "kits" here? I guess the hope is to make it easy for newbies to find a starter kit, but believe me, most newbs are going to want to have a selection of more than 2 kits.

GV e-Cigarette Kits & Batteries - when you click here there are 31 items. Many of which are not either kits or batteries, ie. Rider Robust, telescopes, evic, etc. And back to earlier comments, no batteries (i.e. 18350s etc.).

So if I was doing it I would put all the kits under #1, rename #2 as Ego and stick batteries

Move the mods to their own different group.

Have a group for Batteries and chargers

Lose the "advanced" category and just specify and warn within what ever category it belongs that this is advanced item.

But again, everyone sees things differently

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA
On the New vapers Kits- those are pne of our most succesful product lines. I wanted a place to put a few simple kits, limit the choices to avoid confusion as this is to get them _started_. If you buried this in with all the other kits you defeat the purpose of it. Our feedback was that new vapers, as with any other site, were dizzied by what was presented to them. So I decided to create this cat, put it right at the top (easy to see and find, the first thing they come across). From the day we did this we have sold so many of these kits we have become one of the largest Joyetech suppliers in the USA.

Sure, on mods that need batteries inserted I can possibly pull those out and create another category, I have to weigh that against creating a cluttered area, what I was trying to avoid, but its something we can look at. One thing I can do is make a subcat under e-cig kits that says MODS.

Actually Advanced might be more aptly named RBA...but many ppl dont know what that stands for and I guess if they don't, they don't need to be there anyway : )

Thanks much for the well thought suggestions...

obviously everyone would have differing opinions and really not my business, although several places in thread there are requests for suggestions, so here goes.

In general I agree the categories are OK. There could be improvement though. Sometimes it is tough when you create something not to see what an outsider sees.

For example the first two categories I think are kind of weak. GV StartMeUp! New Vaper Kits > There are only 2 kits under this category. Why wouldn't you list all the "kits" here? I guess the hope is to make it easy for newbies to find a starter kit, but believe me, most newbs are going to want to have a selection of more than 2 kits.

GV e-Cigarette Kits & Batteries - when you click here there are 31 items. Many of which are not either kits or batteries, ie. Rider Robust, telescopes, evic, etc. And back to earlier comments, no batteries (i.e. 18350s etc.).

So if I was doing it I would put all the kits under #1, rename #2 as Ego and stick batteries

Move the mods to their own different group.

Have a group for Batteries and chargers

Lose the "advanced" category and just specify and warn within what ever category it belongs that this is advanced item.

But again, everyone sees things differently

trevor148

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2011
Thomasville, GA
GV has the best images of there product out of all vendors IMO. I would be interested in knowing what his equipment of choice is. Looks very professional Cam, lights, maybe a light box, the whole 9 yards.

I realize they use images supplied by the Manufacture, BEFORE they actually get them, but after that....they are really nice.

A++ Photography...

My attempt at the Jedi mind trick in text form wasn't meant to say the product pictures are bad. The images on the site are great. I was specifically talking about the image for the ego clearomizer line category. Its a picture of stardust, its not a bad representation for the stardust, redux, t5, or the alpha star. If your looking for E1, T2, or T3 the picture could throw you off. It threw me off looking for the t3 before this thread when I clicked nearly all the links on the website.

orbach

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2012
Florida
I think http://www.tigerdirect.com could work as a model for GotVapes. It is similar to that camping site posted above with popup menus in the top navigation, and the body of the home page is similar to the current GotVapes design. Note how the home page is a single column design containing a layout similar to GotVapes' middle column. However, when you select say, Computer Parts, on top, the resulting page now has a left side navigation. As you drill down into subcategories, the left nav changes depending on the product context. Tiger Direct is a fairly complex site due to its myriad products and GotVapes' wouldn't need to be as complex.

On a side note, I think some of the "conventional" terms in vape world have confusing/overlapping meanings because new designs that tend to blur these terms. An example is the term "tank". Maybe a new classification based on capacity would be helpful, eg < 1ml, 1-2ml, 2-3ml, etc. This would have to be thought through, I am not saying it would necessarily work, just an idea to research.

Edit: There could be various ways to select a subset of products such as capacity, size, manufacturer/brand, style, color, etc etc. Would need to be researched thoroughly. Your current database schema may or may not support these product attributes.

Last edited:

harmonic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Desoto, Mo
ah. well to address your comment danno - 'advanced rebuildables' or 'rebuildable atomizers' isnt any longer than 'gv atomizers & accessories'
and we already know that we are on your gotvapes site so mayby the 'gotvapes' in front of everything might be a tad redundant and not missed if left off on a on a couple of menu items
even 'Advanced Rebuildable Atomizers' might could even fit depending on if it goes by the number of letters - not sure though if it goes by font width wich can vary depending on the letters used... or 'Rebuildable Solutions' ect...

not that i have any problems with the site i think its pretty good (though i got lost too once looking for mod batteries lol) just throwing some idears out there in an attempt to help

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA
Thanks Harmonic...

Advanced name warns new vapers that this is of course, "Advanced", these products have a different warranty policy. One of the main products in there, or about the only product in there, are the RBA's. So to say Advanced Rebuildable Atomizers would be redundant and can be confusing in and of itself. A customer might say that "Oh THESE are the RBA's that are advanced, so what are the RBA's considered NOT advanced and where do I find them?"

So you can't possibly please everyone with everything. You do your best and if all else fails you do have search. Our site is one of the most logically laid out sites out there as far as this goes. I know of a ton of big sites here in ECF that are simply just a jumble and you don't know where to begin. With GotVapes you have a simple layout...you go to that left side navi area and the categories of products are defintiely laid out in logical fashion. When junkman first started this thread the gut reaction of all of the first responders including Max our support person (who would see floods of complaints and side with the original poster if deemed appropriate) that they had NO trouble navigating the site with maybe a side comment on suggestions in other areas, which any site can use and welcomes.

Bottom line, I am seeing where we could improve is in keeping our top banner updated and more topical and timely (which I am working on as we get more help here in the shipping department). Also, actually have new and relevant videos in the What's Hot and Happening area at the very top. That was originally supposed to have been udpated at least once a week when I implemented that about the time I took shipping to Texas.

I try to keep the newspaper headline pretty relevant but overall the logic of the site for navigation is pretty good, can always be tweaked but it has forward momentum. But as with ANY site you of course sometimes have to ferret through things. That's unavoidable. So I think the main thing to do is keep it fresh with new videos in that top middle column part, keep our rotating banner on the home page fresh and keep things in stock : )

You don't want to make major changes to a site simply for the sake of change (we saw what happened with that sort of logic 4 years ago). When you do that you can:
  1. Throw off regular customers who have gotten used to the logic of the site who have said here in a majority and fairly large numbers, that navigation doesn't need fixed
  2. You will still always have the problem that some people will still have 'problems' navigating the new site. You trade one 'problem' for another.

Thanks so much for all of the feedback! I think this has run its course for now and we so much appreciate everyone's interest in our site and our continued success in serving the vaping community and all of our wonderful customers.

ah. well to address your comment danno - 'advanced rebuildables' or 'rebuildable atomizers' isnt any longer than 'gv atomizers & accessories'
and we already know that we are on your gotvapes site so mayby the 'gotvapes' in front of everything might be a tad redundant and not missed if left off on a on a couple of menu items
even 'Advanced Rebuildable Atomizers' might could even fit depending on if it goes by the number of letters - not sure though if it goes by font width wich can vary depending on the letters used... or 'Rebuildable Solutions' ect...

not that i have any problems with the site i think its pretty good (though i got lost too once looking for mod batteries lol) just throwing some idears out there in an attempt to help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread