hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Welcome back and thank you for joining me for the third of three reviews that I was asked to do for Suorin. Today I will be discussing the Suorin Trident pod mod kit. It does have some similarities to other devices of the same style out on the market but has a few features that are different also. From what I can tell it’s a pretty new device and I have yet to see it for sale on any of the sites that I regularly shop on but am sure it will be coming soon. The Trident uses an 18650 battery which I like very much in this type of device. There are some things I really like about the Trident and will share those below along with one or two things that I didn’t.

trident-banner.jpg

trident-colours.jpg

WHAT’S IN THE BOX?

1 x Suorin Trident Kit (TRI Single Mesh 0.4Ω included)
    1 x TRI Triple Mesh 0.2Ω
    1 x User Manual

trident-contents.jpg

IMG-5287.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS:

Size:120mm(Height) x 34.6mm(Width) x 31.2mm(Depth)
    Material: Zinc Alloy + Plastic
    Battery: Replaceable 18650 Battery
    Charging Time:2H (charging with Trident)
    Output Wattage:5-85W
    Working Voltage:3.3-4.2V
    Charging Interface: Type-C
    Charging Current:1.0A
    Cartridge Capacity:4.4ml
    Filling Method: Bottom Filling
    Coil Resistance: RI Single Mesh 0.2Ω 0.4Ω 0.6Ω
    TRI Triple Mesh 0.2Ω
    TRI RBA (optional)

trident-specs.jpg

trident-components.jpg

trident-airflow.jpg

trident-battery.jpg

trident-boost-converter.jpg

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

After testing and reviewing two Suorin pods I was rather excited to break out the Trident and give it a try. The packaging is nice enough and once the top was removed it exposed the Trident with the pod on the device and two coils to one side. I tend to lean toward the middle to low wattage range so decided to start with the .4 ohm single coil once I cleaned the pod just in case. I liked the .4 ohm coil around 40 watts. Next I tried the .2 ohm Tri triple mesh coil. This one was my favorite out of the two. I started low at 45 watts and worked my way up to 55 watts. Anything past that was just a little too warm for me even though the recommended wattage for this coil is 65-75 watts. This seems to be a common occurrence for me with stock coils where I tend to run them lower than the recommended setting but do at least try them at the minimum recommended. Perhaps I will be able to run closer to the recommended once I have used the coil longer.

The Trident has a .96” TFT display that to me is bright enough and everything is easy enough to see. The front of the Trident has the Suorin name and logo at the top with the round fire button below that then the display screen and the + and – buttons near the bottom followed by the USB-C charging port on the bottom. I found the fire button to be comfortable to use and easy to find without looking since it does stick out a fair amount. On the right side of the zinc alloy frame are the words Suorin Trident with nothing on the left side and on the back is what looks like a carbon fiber wrap. Also on the back near the top of the Trident is something that stood out to me. It has this airflow control that is a little stiff then an opening and above that is another strip of frame. I thought this was a neat design. What it does is when the pod is installed you can look through the strip between the airflow control and the top of the frame to see the liquid level in the pod. I do however wish that the pod was not tinted so dark. It is a little difficult to see the liquid level without some kind of back light. On the bottom of the mod is the battery cap. It’s a different design than what I’m used to seeing. It protrudes rather than screwing in flush like others do. I like this and it makes changing the battery easier since you can get a better grip on the battery cap.

The operation of the Trident is as follows:

- Press the fire button five times to turn the device on or off

- Press the fire button three times to lock the adjustment buttons only

- Press the fire button and + button to clear the puff counter

- Press the fire button and – button to switch between Auto and RBA modes

- Press the + and – button to access the puff data screen where you can look at puff data for the past two weeks

The Trident uses what Suorin calls the ORI chipset which has a super-fast firing speed of .006 seconds. It provides a variable wattage output of 5-85 and boasts a Boost which allows higher output with a single battery.

upload_2021-6-10_18-44-19.png

upload_2021-6-10_18-44-36.png

upload_2021-6-10_18-44-55.png

upload_2021-6-10_18-45-15.png

upload_2021-6-10_18-45-33.png

upload_2021-6-10_18-45-55.png

The pod has a liquid capacity of 4.4ml which is enough to last me through a normal day of vaping. Like I mentioned earlier, I would have preferred if the pod was clear. It’s not so dark that you can’t see the liquid level but isn’t as easy to see as I would like. Besides the two included coils that are included there are a few others that are available as well as an rba. I did not receive the rba for the review so cannot comment on how easy or hard it is to build but others that I’ve tried that are coil style rbas are usually a little hard to build due to the size and many times don’t work as well as the stock coils.

trident-pod.jpg

trident-coils.jpg

upload_2021-6-10_18-48-51.png

upload_2021-6-10_18-49-21.png

upload_2021-6-10_18-49-38.png

upload_2021-6-10_18-49-56.png

IMG-5311.jpg

IMG-5315.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I enjoyed using the Trident for this review. Although both coils performed well, I thought the .2 ohm TRI triple coil gave better flavor and vapor production. The mod itself is comfortable to hold and the display is easily readable. I liked the feel and shape of the fire button that protrudes some so is easy to find without looking. The cage design of the mod and the airflow control is a neat feature and you don’t have to worry about the pod coming off accidentally but are still able to see a portion of the tank while it’s inserted in the mod. This is supposed to allow the user to see the liquid level but I feel like the pod should have been less tinted.

The battery cap on the bottom is an interesting design also and I thought it would make the mod less stable when standing upright but it really doesn’t.

The pod unfortunately is another bottom fill design like many others. I do wish it was a top fill. Also, it would have been nice if the pod had a replaceable drip tip rather than it being all one molded piece. That being said, I thought the tip was fairly comfortable to use and had no real issue with it. Just like other bottom fill pods with push in coils, when you change the coil if there is much liquid left in the pod it will dump out the tip. I always change coils in pods like this either over a sink or garbage can and plan on having to wash my hands afterwards. I noticed that the .2 coil in my kit says 55-75 watts while the picture of the coils shows the range to be 65-75 watts. I’m going with what’s on the coil.

I would like to thank Suorin and Mira for sending the Trident pod mod kit for this review and a big thanks as always to the people that choose to read my reviews. Below is a link to the Suorin website if you want to take a look.

trident (suorin.com)

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2012
    Ohio
    I get so much from reading your reviews you really cover it all! :) Nice shape and design I like the screw on battery cap, those that slide tend to tear up the battery wrapper. Since I don't know, won't any pod with a push in bottom coil dump any remaining eliquid out the drip tip when you remove the coil? I have a side fill pod that does that.

Reactions: hittman

NolaMel

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2012
    New Orleans
    Welcome back and thank you for joining me for the third of three reviews that I was asked to do for Suorin. Today I will be discussing the Suorin Trident pod mod kit. It does have some similarities to other devices of the same style out on the market but has a few features that are different also. From what I can tell it’s a pretty new device and I have yet to see it for sale on any of the sites that I regularly shop on but am sure it will be coming soon. The Trident uses an 18650 battery which I like very much in this type of device. There are some things I really like about the Trident and will share those below along with one or two things that I didn’t.

trident-banner.jpg

trident-colours.jpg

WHAT’S IN THE BOX?

1 x Suorin Trident Kit (TRI Single Mesh 0.4Ω included)
    1 x TRI Triple Mesh 0.2Ω
    1 x User Manual

trident-contents.jpg

IMG-5287.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS:

Size:120mm(Height) x 34.6mm(Width) x 31.2mm(Depth)
    Material: Zinc Alloy + Plastic
    Battery: Replaceable 18650 Battery
    Charging Time:2H (charging with Trident)
    Output Wattage:5-85W
    Working Voltage:3.3-4.2V
    Charging Interface: Type-C
    Charging Current:1.0A
    Cartridge Capacity:4.4ml
    Filling Method: Bottom Filling
    Coil Resistance: RI Single Mesh 0.2Ω 0.4Ω 0.6Ω
    TRI Triple Mesh 0.2Ω
    TRI RBA (optional)

trident-specs.jpg

trident-components.jpg

trident-airflow.jpg

trident-battery.jpg

trident-boost-converter.jpg

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

After testing and reviewing two Suorin pods I was rather excited to break out the Trident and give it a try. The packaging is nice enough and once the top was removed it exposed the Trident with the pod on the device and two coils to one side. I tend to lean toward the middle to low wattage range so decided to start with the .4 ohm single coil once I cleaned the pod just in case. I liked the .4 ohm coil around 40 watts. Next I tried the .2 ohm Tri triple mesh coil. This one was my favorite out of the two. I started low at 45 watts and worked my way up to 55 watts. Anything past that was just a little too warm for me even though the recommended wattage for this coil is 65-75 watts. This seems to be a common occurrence for me with stock coils where I tend to run them lower than the recommended setting but do at least try them at the minimum recommended. Perhaps I will be able to run closer to the recommended once I have used the coil longer.

The Trident has a .96” TFT display that to me is bright enough and everything is easy enough to see. The front of the Trident has the Suorin name and logo at the top with the round fire button below that then the display screen and the + and – buttons near the bottom followed by the USB-C charging port on the bottom. I found the fire button to be comfortable to use and easy to find without looking since it does stick out a fair amount. On the right side of the zinc alloy frame are the words Suorin Trident with nothing on the left side and on the back is what looks like a carbon fiber wrap. Also on the back near the top of the Trident is something that stood out to me. It has this airflow control that is a little stiff then an opening and above that is another strip of frame. I thought this was a neat design. What it does is when the pod is installed you can look through the strip between the airflow control and the top of the frame to see the liquid level in the pod. I do however wish that the pod was not tinted so dark. It is a little difficult to see the liquid level without some kind of back light. On the bottom of the mod is the battery cap. It’s a different design than what I’m used to seeing. It protrudes rather than screwing in flush like others do. I like this and it makes changing the battery easier since you can get a better grip on the battery cap.

The operation of the Trident is as follows:

- Press the fire button five times to turn the device on or off

- Press the fire button three times to lock the adjustment buttons only

- Press the fire button and + button to clear the puff counter

- Press the fire button and – button to switch between Auto and RBA modes

- Press the + and – button to access the puff data screen where you can look at puff data for the past two weeks

The Trident uses what Suorin calls the ORI chipset which has a super-fast firing speed of .006 seconds. It provides a variable wattage output of 5-85 and boasts a Boost which allows higher output with a single battery.

View attachment 945109

View attachment 945111

View attachment 945113

View attachment 945115

View attachment 945117

View attachment 945119

The pod has a liquid capacity of 4.4ml which is enough to last me through a normal day of vaping. Like I mentioned earlier, I would have preferred if the pod was clear. It’s not so dark that you can’t see the liquid level but isn’t as easy to see as I would like. Besides the two included coils that are included there are a few others that are available as well as an rba. I did not receive the rba for the review so cannot comment on how easy or hard it is to build but others that I’ve tried that are coil style rbas are usually a little hard to build due to the size and many times don’t work as well as the stock coils.

trident-pod.jpg

trident-coils.jpg

View attachment 945121

View attachment 945123

View attachment 945125

View attachment 945127

IMG-5311.jpg

IMG-5315.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I enjoyed using the Trident for this review. Although both coils performed well, I thought the .2 ohm TRI triple coil gave better flavor and vapor production. The mod itself is comfortable to hold and the display is easily readable. I liked the feel and shape of the fire button that protrudes some so is easy to find without looking. The cage design of the mod and the airflow control is a neat feature and you don’t have to worry about the pod coming off accidentally but are still able to see a portion of the tank while it’s inserted in the mod. This is supposed to allow the user to see the liquid level but I feel like the pod should have been less tinted.

The battery cap on the bottom is an interesting design also and I thought it would make the mod less stable when standing upright but it really doesn’t.

The pod unfortunately is another bottom fill design like many others. I do wish it was a top fill. Also, it would have been nice if the pod had a replaceable drip tip rather than it being all one molded piece. That being said, I thought the tip was fairly comfortable to use and had no real issue with it. Just like other bottom fill pods with push in coils, when you change the coil if there is much liquid left in the pod it will dump out the tip. I always change coils in pods like this either over a sink or garbage can and plan on having to wash my hands afterwards. I noticed that the .2 coil in my kit says 55-75 watts while the picture of the coils shows the range to be 65-75 watts. I’m going with what’s on the coil.

I would like to thank Suorin and Mira for sending the Trident pod mod kit for this review and a big thanks as always to the people that choose to read my reviews. Below is a link to the Suorin website if you want to take a look.

trident (suorin.com)
    Informative, as always. Looks like a decent choice for a dl vaper.

Reactions: YoursTruli

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I get so much from reading your reviews you really cover it all! :) Nice shape and design I like the screw on battery cap, those that slide tend to tear up the battery wrapper. Since I don't know, won't any pod with a push in bottom coil dump any remaining eliquid out the drip tip when you remove the coil? I have a side fill pod that does that.

Thanks! Most do but the pod for the Vaporesso px80 has a tip that turns to shut off liquid so you can change the coil without any spilling.

• Informative
    Reactions: YoursTruli
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread