Super-T Simplicity 14500 & AW Protected Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrightLight

ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2013
Canada
FYI: I’m talking about this mechanical mod: Super T ~ Precise Simplicity

Now, Super-T recommends either the AW IMR 14500 or the AW Protected 14500 batteries, but doing the math, the protected batteries don’t seem to be practical.

It was a bit difficult to find the battery specs, but I found them on ProVape’s site: AW 14500 batteries

From that site, it lists the Capacity @ 750mAH (min. 700mAH) and the Max. Discharge Rate @ 1.5C. So, using the min. capacity, the max rated discharge would be 1.05 Amps. Then, using the max voltage for the battery (4.2V) and Ohm’s law (R = V/I), we get a minimum(!) resistance of 4 Ohms for attachments, to operate within the rated specs of the battery.

For safety reasons, I used the min. capacity and the max. voltage. Other than that, can anyone see anything wrong with those calculations? Is it even possible to get 4+ Ohms atties, cartos, clearos, etc.?

BrightLight

ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2013
Canada
I do realize that the IMR batteries have a much higher max. discharge current, but I like the idea of over discharge protection in the protected batteries.

Is there an easier way to protect the AW IMR 14500 batteries from over discharge in a mechanical mod, other than constantly removing and checking the batteries with a multi meter?

jSquared

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
London, UK
I do realize that the IMR batteries have a much higher max. discharge current, but I like the idea of over discharge protection in the protected batteries.

Is there an easier way to protect the AW IMR 14500 batteries from over discharge in a mechanical mod, other than constantly removing and checking the batteries with a multi meter?

In a word: no. You will however, notice a very sudden drop-off in performance right around 3.3V which is your cue to switch out the battery. Over time, you'll get used to how long any given battery lasts, and swapping it out will just become habit.

IMRs are safe chemistry, which means they vent with gas and heat. Over discharge protection isn't much use in a catastrophic failure, and, in that scenario, a protected battery will vent with flame. I know which battery I'd rather have in my mod!

JJ

BrightLight

ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2013
Canada
In a word: no. You will however, notice a very sudden drop-off in performance right around 3.3V which is your cue to switch out the battery. Over time, you'll get used to how long any given battery lasts, and swapping it out will just become habit.

IMRs are safe chemistry, which means they vent with gas and heat. Over discharge protection isn't much use in a catastrophic failure, and, in that scenario, a protected battery will vent with flame. I know which battery I'd rather have in my mod!

JJ

Thanks for the response JJ.

I believe that I read somewhere that over discharging a lithium ion battery can cause catastrophic failure.

I’d like to get the AW 14500 IMR batteries, but Super-T is currently sold out and ProVape only carries the protected batteries. Do you know of a trustworthy vendor that sells AW batteries? Especially in a mechanical mod, I want to minimize the chances of getting counterfeit batteries.

On a related note, does a 15mm (or smaller) fuse or KICK like device exist? Something like that should reduce the chances of harm if I (unknowingly) get a counterfeit battery.

jSquared

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
London, UK
Thanks for the response JJ.Do you know of a trustworthy vendor that sells AW batteries? Especially in a mechanical mod, I want to minimize the chances of getting counterfeit batteries.

I'm in the UK, unfortunately - but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to recommend a vendor!

On a related note, does a 15mm (or smaller) fuse or KICK like device exist? Something like that should reduce the chances of harm if I (unknowingly) get a counterfeit battery.

There isn't a Kick (or Kick-like device) you can use with the Simplicity. I'm not aware of any fuses that will work with the 14500s, either. Even if there was, I don't think it would work in the Simplicity, because the tolerances are so exact.

I totally understand (and respect) your desire to be safe, but, believe me, AW IMRs are about as safe as you can get - as long as you use a good charger and check them with a multimeter from time to time.

JJ

Last edited:

BrightLight

ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2013
Canada
I'm in the UK, unfortunately - but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to recommend a vendor!

There isn't a Kick (or Kick-like device) you can use with the Simplicity. I'm not aware of any fuses that will work with the 14500s, either. Even if there was, I don't think it would work in the Simplicity, because the tolerances are so exact.

I totally understand (and respect) your desire to be safe, but, believe me, AW IMRs are about as safe as you can get - as long as you use a good charger and check them with a multimeter from time to time.

JJ

I’ve got a Pila charger coming in the mail, so I should be good to go on that front. The AW batteries do seem to have a really good reputation. I just hope that the places that I bought them from only sell genuine AW batteries.

BrightLight

ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2013
Canada
I've been contemplating the simplicity as well. If you get it please post your thoughts and reviews.
Regarding AW batteries, I get mine from stormysvaporcellar.com

Thanks for the reply Jude. I don’t think that I’ll be doing a review, but, in case you already didn’t know, there’s good stuff on the Simplicity thread. And I’ve passed the 5 post mark, so I can now post there now. :thumb:

bikini_kill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2013
Oklahoma City, OK USA
I’d like to get the AW 14500 IMR batteries, but Super-T is currently sold out and ProVape only carries the protected batteries. Do you know of a trustworthy vendor that sells AW batteries? Especially in a mechanical mod, I want to minimize the chances of getting counterfeit batteries.
These batteries aren't e-cig specific; they're also heavily used in devices like flashlights. That means a lot more vendors to choose from. I generally order from lighthound.com. If you look in the Registered Suppliers forum here, there are a some vendors that have threads advertising their batteries where you can place orders, ask questions, etc.

BrightLight

ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2013
Canada
These batteries aren't e-cig specific; they're also heavily used in devices like flashlights. That means a lot more vendors to choose from. I generally order from lighthound.com. If you look in the Registered Suppliers forum here, there are a some vendors that have threads advertising their batteries where you can place orders, ask questions, etc.

Thanks a bunch! It's very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread