• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Supercharge your immunity with diy green juices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
BENEFITS OF JUICING

About five years ago, I bought a Breville juice Fountain Plus, and it’s the one of the healthiest and most fun splurges I’ve ever made on myself! I thought it was time I started making healthier dietary choices for myself.

It’s a great choice for losing weight and naturally supercharging your body with the nutrition it wants and needs every day. And it’s a great pursuit since we are one of the sickest nations in the world with 49% of our country’s citizens having one or more chronic illnesses and degenerative diseases. The American Cancer Society reports that one out of every two men will get cancer in his lifetime; one out of every three women will get cancer in her lifetime. And this is one way I fight back against those horrifying statistics.

One healthy large glass of homemade fresh, organic juice each day is all it takes to make a difference!

The purpose of this thread is not to encourage you to go on a juice fast. It is to encourage you to drink at least on glass of juice per day or to replace breakfast with juice only. A true juice fast should be done only under medical supervision and is usually for detoxification reasons to follow-up with a permanent healthy diet.

The Benefits of Juicing include:

A quick, healthy way to consume the nutrients of the recommended daily 6-8 servings of fruits and veggies in a more concentrated form. These nutrients can help protect against cardiovascular disease, cancer and various inflammatory diseases, like rheumatoid arthritis. Valuable compounds called flavonoids, phytochemicals, polyphenols, anthocyanins and chlorophyll are abundant in a variety of fruits and vegetables and guard against oxidative cellular damage, which comes from everyday cellular maintenance and is exacerbated by exposure to chemicals, toxins and pollution.

Mike Adams (fondly known as the Health Ranger) says this: “Most [commercial] fruit juice has been stripped of all these nutrients during processing, making it a juice that is high in sugar but low in nutrients. A glass of [commercial] apple juice, for instance, has six apples' worth of fructose and none of the fiber and pulp that helps to properly assimilate that sugar into the body. The result is an overload of sugar that floods the liver, increasing the risk of diabetes and heart disease.

Home juicing with no addition of commercial sugars have much more nutrition. If you must sweeten your veggie juices, Stevia Plus, Manucca or raw local honey, and pure grade B maple syrup are all natural and safer choices. Stevia Plus will not raise your blood sugar levels like sugar, agave syrup and fake sweeteners do. . Note: Stevia bought to sweeten should be labeled “non alcoholic”, “non-GMO” and “organic.”

Drinking raw juice delivers more enzymes to your body than cooked. Research has shown that eating plenty of fresh produce reduces the risk of cancer and other degenerative diseases.

Juicing allows a person to mask a taste they are not fond of. For example, celery and cucumber juices are not my favorites alone, so I can throw in half of a pear or a whole apple to naturally sweeten and to mask the taste of those veggies. Adding a low-sugar fruit with your veggies in the juice form does not violate any food combining principles since you are consuming the concentrated nutrition and not the food itself.

When you juice at home, you will get more nutrition, cellular health, immunity and longevity from fresh, organic produce than commercial juices that are overly-processed, and sweeteners with unsafe sugars. Also, if a juice is in the aisle of a grocery store, it probably contains GMO’s (genetically modified organisms). There are a couple of healthier picks from health food stores such as Lakewood or R.W. Knudsen’s Just Juice brands.

Caution #1: Juicing should never be a self-prescribed substitution for appropriate medical diagnosis and/or treatment. It is strongly advised to consult your doctor first – especially while pregnant or with an existing medical condition whether you are taking prescription drugs or not. For example, grapefruit juice can interfere with heart condition medications. Produce containing high amounts of goitrogens can interfere with thyroid function when not rotating the produce. Produce containing high amounts of oxalates need to be rotated and monitored if you have a kidney condition. Google "list of foods containing goitrogens (or oxalates)" for the full lists.

Caution #2: Fruit is not the best to juice alone, but if you must, all fruit juices should be diluted at least 50/50 (25/75 is preferred) with purified water to avoid sugar spikes. Fruits have a lot of natural sugars even if the fruit tastes tart. For example, pomegranate juice contains more natural sugar than most other fruits that taste sweeter. Dr Joseph Mercola says: “The exception would be lemons and limes which have virtually none of the offending sugar (fructose) that causes most of the metabolic complications. Additionally lemons or limes are amazing at eliminating the bitter taste of the dark, deep green leafy vegetables that provide most of the benefits of juicing.”

Juicing Tips:

When making your own juice, try to make only as much as you can consume in that day.

Store your juice covered in a glass jar(s) in the refrigerator instead of on the countertop. The reason to not store it in a plastic pitcher is because plastic can leach it’s chemicals into your juice (as with any food storage). I use quart Mason type jars.

Wash your veggies thoroughly first to remove any dirt, pesticides or bacteria. Even if the fruit has a nonedible rind, it must be washed first … just slicing unwashed fruit can carry bacteria from the rind through with the blade of the knife when sliced. Make sure your cutting board and utensils are clean as well. E. coli is a very dangerous bacteria that can live on your fruits and make you sick. The problem is that it can only be killed with heat, which can also damage the nutritional content of the juice.

Instead of purchasing a pricey fruit and veggie wash, a good and effective alternative is one-third portion white distilled vinegar to two-thirds portions filtered (safe) water.

Juice Links:

This juicing link is from the award winning documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead by Joe Cross. He not only has juicing recipes but he and his fans have posted smoothies and salads and even healthy main dish recipes. You need to click down near the bottom to enter the site from the title page.
Juicing for Weight Loss | Reboot With Joe | Fat Sick & Nearly Dead

This juicing link is awesome! It has a section dedicated to Juicing for Weight Loss. It has a section dedicated to Juicing for Health. And if you have a health concern, it will give you recipes that use ingredients which are best for than condition. It also has a section of recipes for prevention. You don’t have to join a membership, and the recipes are free.
Recipes for Juicing | Juice Recipes

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
A lot of you may have heard of Joe Cross and his award-winning documentary, Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. Here is Joe on the Dr. Oz Show briefly telling about his road back to perfect health. Dr. Joel Fuhrman (a favorite of mine) was Joe’s attending physician during Joe’s 60-day healing juice fast which healed his auto-immune disease. Joe also lost 80 lbs in that 60 days.

Parts 2 and 3, as well as the full movie documentary links are below the Part 1 show if you scroll down after watching Part 1.

To also put in a perk for Dr. Fuhrman … if you buy only one or two healthy eating guides and recipe books, I can wholeheartedly recommend his books: (1) Eat to Live: The Amazing Nutrient-Rich Program for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss, Revised Edition; and (2) Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body's Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free. Both available from Amazon.

If you’re female and want a 64 percent lower risk of breast cancer, read Dr. F’s Super Immunity book. Spoiler: The magic ingredient is mushrooms.:) Even better is an 89 percent lower risk. Spoiler: Magic ingredients are mushrooms plus green tea everyday.:)

: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/new-3-day-weekend-cleanse-pt-1

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
I used to juice about 20 years ago and got into good enough shape to ride 132 miles overnight on my mountain bike.
I caught 14 hours sleep and woke refreshed and ready to go.

I was using a Braun POS centrifugal but it got the job done.

I just bought another juicer the other day :) It's an Omega vert 350. It's awesome.
I stopped at Whole Foods on the way home and was amazed at how much organic is available now.
I've been replacing meals but still eating salads and snacking on organic flatbread and organic hummus.
I think I'm going to juice fast in the near future.
I'm a hiker but had a heart attack 2 years ago from neglect.
My cardiologist says I'm ready to hike mountains but I want to drop 30 lbs first.
I walk my dogs a few times a week for about 2.5 miles in the winter and about 20 miles/week in summer.

I just found this thread and have a few questions:

Do you know of any non-sponsored sites devoted to juicing?
I like fitlife.tv and joined Juicing For Dummies on Facebook but would like to find a grassroots site.

Do we have any PG/VG vape specific issues to consider on a juice fast?

I know I'll think of more ?? and might get answers as I dig through this subforum deeper but thanks for any guidance.

Last edited:

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Hi Mowgli:)

I wish you well on your juice fast. I could also lose a few pounds. I was skinny most of my life, and then when I quite smoking 3.5 years ago, my weight gradually began increasing. That's what I need to do ... go on a juice cleanse.

I have a small collection of juicing books that I find myself referring to more than online, but here are some links to a few websites that I have visited.

Recipes for Juicing | Juice Recipes

30 Green Juice Recipes - Green Juice A Day

This one also has a section of green smoothies ............
Weight Loss | The Juicing Recipes

Juice Recipes | Blended Recipes

This website has other healthy recipe sections ............
Juices & Smoothies Archives - KrisCarr.com

I'm not sure about the PG/VG issues with juicing. I never thought much about it since they're inhaled instead of drinking/eating.

Last edited:

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Here's what I posted to my FB timeline a little while ago:

"I've been eating nothing but whole foods since Thursday. Thursday night I started juicing organic veggies. Saturday & Sunday - 2 cups of coffee, whole foods and about a quart of veggie juice each day. Monday - nothing but 1 morning coffee and about $25 worth of homemade vegetable juice. Today I plan on not having any coffee. I quit drinking/etc 25 years ago. I quit smoking 10 months ago. Now coffee...and eating for a few days. I am the hole in the donut. jk. feeling great

I juice fasted and ate healthy about 18 years ago and got in good enough condition to ride my mountain bike from Marlboro Mass to Moultonboro NH (132 miles) overnight to see if I could. I don't have a bike now but the last time I hiked mountains (Watatic & Wachusett in Mass & Belknap & Red Hill in NH) was 4 years ago. I'll post pix of views from the top of Watatic & Red Hill this summer.
Just watch me now."

I have been to all the juicing links you posted and have them all saved in a folder.
I'm not interested in smoothies yet.

The movie "Fat, Sick and Near Dead" is awesome and moving.
I made Joe Cross's Mean Green yesterday (double recipe) and just finished it.
I also like Drew Canole & fitlife.tv
I started working out again and I'm aiming for Drew's build.
I've been there and have about 25lbs to get back to it.
Hiking up mountains sucks when I'm carrying extra weight.

Thanks on the well wishes and links :)

here's a few I found:

Fitness and Nutrition - Lose Weight Fast | fitlife.tv
http://www.pinterest.com/Juicing4Dummies/juicing-for-dummies/
Juicing for Weight Loss | Reboot With Joe | Fat Sick & Nearly Dead
Liver Detox and Lose Belly Fat | fitlife.tv
The Different Juice Fasting Stages of Detoxification | iZOcleanse
EDIT - another good link - Your Top 10 Juicing Questions Answered | My Juice Cleanse

I found this $360 Omega 350HD on CL for $175 - Omega VRT350.- Excellent for juicing leafy greens, wheatgrass and fruits

I like it better than the Champion I had for a few weeks 10 years ago. The Omega is a beast.

Last edited:

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
A lot of you may have heard of Joe Cross and his award-winning documentary, Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. Here is Joe on the Dr. Oz Show briefly telling about his road back to perfect health. Dr. Joel Fuhrman (a favorite of mine) was Joe’s attending physician during Joe’s 60-day healing juice fast which healed his auto-immune disease. Joe also lost 80 lbs in that 60 days.

Sorry, correcting the faulty link:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread