Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Quote from article--

"The electronic cigarette uses unnecessary resources, such as batteries, which most people do not correctly recycle and can leak mercury into landfills"

Well then, it begs the question as to why they should not give up using their Ipods as that too can be considered an "unecessary resource"---Igonorance at its best---Sun

ROB26

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2009
Fort Worth TX
Quote from article--

"The electronic cigarette uses unnecessary resources, such as batteries, which most people do not correctly recycle and can leak mercury into landfills"

Well then, it begs the question as to why they should not give up using their Ipods as that too can be considered an "unecessary resource"---Igonorance at its best---Sun

I agree SUN! Plus, correct me if I'm wrong...but don't cigarette butts take forever to break down? I thought I heard that somewhere...geez!:evil:

Calaban

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Newmarket, NH USA
Ugh....

The volume of incorrect information on e-cigs being disseminated is starting to make me sick. Why do people need to bash something when they do not have all the facts? I understand that people HATE smoking, but this isn't smoking!!!

I don't claim to have all the facts and I don't know anyone here who does. Most of us seem to be reasonable....meaning that we just stick to the facts we know, and any conjecture is normally labeled as such.

There seem to be a disinformation campaign going on, and I think we need to fight back with CREDIBLE information.
I know this forum is THE source for that information, but I think we need to get the word out a bit more...somehow...

-Cal

strayling

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Seattle, USA
Finally, some informed comments about a misinformed opinion piece.

I noticed that too. The comments were on the whole more concerned with correcting the misinformation rather than ripping the author a new one (tempting though that might be). That sort of commendable restraint will make the case for PVs much better than shrill condemnation.

DCrist721

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
Thanks for the link. I posted a comment. Hope everyone else does, too.

I one-uped that; I emailed her, I'm not really a student at that school, I just thought it would help get her attention. Here was my email:

Hi Alexandria,

I'm a Sophomore at the University of Arizona, and I enjoy reading your articles. However, there was a recent article of yours that had me scratching my head. Earlier today I was reading your article about electronic cigarettes, and as an ex-smoker and an owner of one I wanted to talk to you about that article.

One of the first things I noticed is that you said it "emits puffs of smoke," however, there is no smoker produced by these products. A heating coil heats a nicotine solution to it's boiling point, which causes it to become a vapor; no combustion is carried out by this device at all, which is one of the main reasons why it's less damaging to the body then traditional cigarettes.

You also mention that the batteries will not be recycled properly and leak mercury into landfills, yet these batteries contain no mercury. These are lithium batteries like what's used to power your cell phone; they are rechargeable and last many months. When they do die, some companies will send you a new one in exchange for the old one, and the old one gets properly recycled by the company. Even if they all ended up in landfills, think about how many terrible products of combustion are released into the air with regular cigarettes, and how many cigarettes filters, which are not biodegradable, are disposed of or littered and even end up killing birds and small animals that sometimes mistake them for food.

And as I said before, I've been an ex-smoker for weeks thanks to this device, and have no desire to return to cigarettes, so I have to disagree with you about them not being a smoking cessation device. And out of my 4 friends who have tried this, 3 of them quit, despite not being able to quit in the past with other smoking cessation products.

Towards the end you go on to ask "who knows what types of poisons could be in this liquid nicotine cartridge?" And the answer to that is - "anyone who wants to find out". The liquid contains propylene glycol (which is the main ingredient in anti-perspirants, and is also found in many foods cosmetics, toothpastes and medicines), flavorings which have long been used in food products, and finally nicotine. And unlike normal cigarettes, these ingredients are not chemically altered into other compounds by the product of combustion; they either enter your blood stream in the same form that they would as if ingested, or they are expelled by the lungs.

Because no smoke or known carcinogens are emitted by this device, it is most likely that it will not cause lung cancer or other smoking-related diseases. Essentially, it is no more harmful then the nicotine patch, gum, or inhaler.

It definitely has improved my health also, which is another thing which contradicts your article, I can breathe more easily, I don't get winded walking up a flight of stairs, I'm no longer hacking up phlegm in the morning, and I just feel much better in general. My doctor has even noticed my health improvements and after explaining to him what an electronic cigarette was, he encouraged me to continue using it and asked if I could give him the web addresses of some websites which sell these products so that he could inform his smoking patients about them.

I would really appreciate if you would take the time to respond to this email, so I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Sincerely,
Daniel Crist

This was her response, just a few minutes after I sent the email:

Mr. Crist,
Thank you very much for taking the time to get my facts straight. I was basing my article off of the products' advertisements etc. that said that they emit smoke so that they look like a cigarette. My concern about them was that they were not yet thoroughly evaluated by the FDA because they are so new and it seemed a little shady since who knows what is really in them? But apparently you do! I value your response. You should send your e-mail to letters@wildcat.arizona.edu so it can be published in our mailbag, or post it as a comment to the article at wildcat.arizona.edu. I think that people would benefit from hearing your response. Thanks again,
Alexandria Kassman
Arizona Daily Wildcat

DCrist721

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
You're so diplomatic :D

Well, I figured that my initial response of, "OMG, you don't know WTF your talking about .....! Who the hell let that thing get published?!" wouldn't get a response and could possibly push her over the edge resulting in self-inflicted injuries and potentially a long night alone at the bar rethinking her life.

There were enough posts already to make the poor mis-informed girl feel like ..... Honestly, upon first hearing about electronic cigarettes they can sound like a scary thing. "People getting around the smoking ban and inhaling the fumes of some chinese liquid chemical solutions that are processed through a machine and subjected to an electrical current?? And then subjecting other people in the area to these fumes? Somebody call HAZMAT and Homeland Security! The Chinese have invented some kind of biological weapon disguised as a cigarette!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread