svd is burning up cartos and atomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kev2kta

Apr 25, 2013
illinois
Been vaping 2 months and everything was good till a couple days ago. I've been enjoying my itaste svd the last couple weeks using vaping zones ego mega dual coil LR cartos and their desert ship eliquid. My first couple mega cartos worked great, but now no matter what I connect it tastes nasty and burnt. I even tried some brand new smaller 510 cartos I had left over from my smaller ecigs, both were burnt tasting right away. Tried my protank i had put away due to nasty taste and leakage a while back, tried the last new atomizer I had, same nasty taste.

So today I got another order from vapingzone with a new 5 pack of the mega cartos, filled the carto and let it sit for a bit, still tasted burnt right away. Now im afraid to attach any of these other new ones at $3 a piece. I have wasted a lot of cartos and juice on this. My voltage is 3.8, wattage 5.5. The svd reads the correct resistance and shows no obvious issues except their isn't much vapor being produced. Even at 3 volts it tastes burnt. I wonder if fasttech will do an exchange, they just emailed me a followup asking how I liked my product.

Last edited:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I use voltage mode if that's what you are asking. The cartos are rated at 1.5 ohm and the svd reads the same. Im filling out a ticket now with fasttech, hope this doesn't take a month to exchange.

No. The SVD can measure voltage in RMS or AVG mode. What do you have it set to? It should be RMS.

BeatboxHero

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2013
utah
I use voltage mode if that's what you are asking. The cartos are rated at 1.5 ohm and the svd reads the same. Im filling out a ticket now with fasttech, hope this doesn't take a month to exchange.

I was just looking for instructions on how to change it to RMS mode but couldn't find it :/ Maybe search your users' manual for RMS/Mean mode?

The reason I am asking this is because RMS is a lot more accurate. I got a Zmax recently and it come out of the box in Mean mode. I was burning liquids at like 4.0V and up. Once I switched to RMS mode everything was fixed! RMS stands for something like "Root of the Mean Squared" which is a special logarithm that makes your device way more accurate. Now I can vape at 5.5-6 volts and it only burns the delicate juices. So, long story short, if you are on Mean mode then your device is firing HIGHER then what your setting is. So change that :censored: to RMS yo! :vapor:

BeatboxHero

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2013
utah
So you are already on RMS mode. Sorry! Wild goose chase :)

BUT!! I think I might have figured out your problem! Lets do some math :)

At 3.8 volts with a 1.5 Ohm coil you are pushing out 9.6 watts and 2.5 Amps! That isn't dangerously high but I could see how things are burning. With a single "low" resistance coil, if I go above 9 watts it can burn depending on the juice. And as I understand it, what it really comes down to is Amps! 2.5 Amps is "relatively high". Like I said, nothing dangerous, but still kind of high.

SO! I recommend switching to VW mode and trying out around 5-6 watts. That should lower your output. I guess it wouldn't go much lower then 3 volts but maybe it will help. 5 watts is still around 1.8 amps. Do you have a higher ohm coil? Just to test some stuff with?

kev2kta

Apr 25, 2013
illinois
Thanks for the replies. I went through my manual and searched before coming back and seeing there is no switching modes. What I don't get is that the first couple mega cartos were great for a week. Just tried 2 smaller cartos with 2.0 ohm rating, tried at 3.0-3.7 volts and horrible taste. These were brand new last night. Something isn't right. Maybe its the bottom half of my eliquid , maybe I didn't shake it enough before using? I use the 50ml desert ship from vapingzone, maybe ill try the new bottle I got today with another carto. Now grasping at straws and trying to minimize analog usage. Hopefully fasttech will exchange it, but it will be a long wait. I was just about to get another svd next week for backup.

Last edited:

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Switch your device to watts. Start at 5 watts and work your way up. Your voltage is to high, pulling over 9 Watts at your current settings. Depending on juice, they can start to burn at 7 Watts and 8 Watts is pushing it. Reduce voltage or watts and start over from the bottom. Not an SVD problem from the sound of it.

BeatboxHero

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2013
utah
Maybe its the bottom half of my eliquid , maybe I didn't shake it enough before using? I use the 50ml desert ship from vapingzone, maybe ill try the new bottle I got today with another carto.

Good thinking! Like billbeckusa said, It's most likely not the SVD. Juice is a good place to start looking. Do you have a meter? If you can get your hands on one you can verify it is putting out what it says it is. Grasping at straws a little as well ;)

kev2kta

Apr 25, 2013
illinois
Well I filled another new mega carto with 3ml of the brand new desert ship eliquid i received today, same burnt taste. The carto reads 1.4 ohms on the svd, wattage at 5w, voltage at 3v. I dug out my voltmeter and with the svd at 3 volts meter reads 1.4v, at 3.1 volts it reads 1.5v,at 3.2 volts it reads 1.6v and so on. In power mode at 5w, I get 6v, at 3w its 5v. Not sure what to think of these results. This testing was done touching red lead to center brass piece on top while touching black lead to ego threads and pushing button.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Well I filled another new mega carto with 3ml of the brand new desert ship eliquid i received today, same burnt taste. The carto reads 1.4 ohms on the svd, wattage at 5w, voltage at 3v. I dug out my voltmeter and with the svd at 3 volts meter reads 1.4v, at 3.1 volts it reads 1.5v,at 3.2 volts it reads 1.6v and so on. In power mode at 5w, I get 6v, at 3w its 5v. Not sure what to think of these results. This testing was done touching red lead to center brass piece on top while touching black lead to ego threads and pushing button.

This is why backups are so important. Something IS WRONG here, for sure. Maybe it is your SVD. I have one and never get readings like this. In fact, I have a dozen or more regulated mods and don't get readings like this. I have yet to hear of a defective SVD and the chip it uses is pretty reliable, if somewhat inaccurate (somewhat, and not a big deal). Hhhhmmmmmm.....yeah, send it back, but do get a backup. Multimeters are notoriously difficult to use, until you get to the more expensive units. Best to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread