The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Svoemesto Kayfun V5

Discussion in 'RTA' started by Sockeye404, May 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Hadrian21

Hadrian21 Full Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Romania
    I heard a lot of good stuff about nautilus and considering the low price I think I get one next week to play a little with it. I like that even it uses prebuilt coils it has a chimney which should make a difference.
    you say about money for coils - how much does in average a coil work? I heard about a month until it burns. If it's so, 12 coils / year is not that expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Zutankhamun

Zutankhamun Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 22, 2015
    Rapture
    When I used to use them you'd get good uns and bad ones. Theyd go for a week-a month. I found most generally 2-3 weeks.
    But I am not working currently and 5 coils used to cost me £8-9 a time and when I can build a better coil for pennies it just seemed like a waste of money.
    I suppose it is the balance of free time to money.
    saying that. I just enjoy building so I'm glad at the moment.
    +it's annoying when you pay over a £1.50 and you have a dud.:nah:

• Like Like x 1
  3. icharus29

icharus29 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 2, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    My nautilus coils would usually last a week. Maybe a little longer depending on the juice that I was vaping. I vape a lot too, though, so that's a factor as well. As in all things vaping, ymmv.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Hadrian21

Hadrian21 Full Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Romania
    Good that I asked about the nautilus before spending money.

Now back to kayfun 5 - I purchased with it also the vapor giant mod 2.5 - mechanical
    Vapour production not that good. I have ss and kanthal both at 28 ga - 0,23mm.
    The coils - not that big and spaced - 5-6 turns on 2,5mm. With ss it comes to ~0,8 ohm and ~1,3 ohm with kanthal.
    What coils should I make for better results with the mechanical mod? I really like how it looks and feels in the hand so I need to find the best build for it.
    Shall I purchase thicker wires - 0,4; 0,5 mm? SS or kanthal?
    I guess thicker wire less resistance so higher wattage and better vapours with the mechanical mod.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zutankhamun

May 22, 2015
    Rapture
    Yep. I take it you use vapecalc.com?
    To find out the watts at a 4.2.
    With the 1.3 kanthal your getting 13.57 and then obviously decreasing until about 10, depending on how low your voltage gets.

I can't give you any rec on ss because I only use kanthal.
    But airflow is the biggest difference you can make to vapour production. Obviously higher watts as well, but with no airflow = no vapour.
    With a kanthal build, @ 0.8 ohms you'd get 22 watts but remember this will decrease in time.

You can find a middle ground but generally, more air= bigger clouds, less air = more flavour. I go for the latter and 1.2 does me fine.

Kinda sounds like you want a tight mtl draw but big clouds?
    I'm afraid your gonna have to pick one or the other.

Like I said though, you can fiddle and find a middle ground and so you want lower gauge kanthal to achieve this with a mech.

Or perhaps get/use a regulated device so you can just fiddle with the wattage to find your sweet spot without constantly rebuilding.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Zutankhamun

May 22, 2015
    Rapture
    Or with your same 2.5 setup and 28 you'd want only 4 wraps, or just get a smaller diameter drill bit to get 0.8. I use the little blue screwdriver which is 1.7mm then 8 wraps with a 28 gives me 1.2.

And you use steam coil builder right? So you can find out what wire does what :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hadrian21

Hadrian21 Full Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Romania
    i have never done smaller coil then 2,5 mm because I'm afraid it will be too little cotton and the juice holes might not be covered properly - or at least not with my current skills!
    Thanks for steam-engine website hint! Didn't knew about it and it really answers a lot of my questions and now I can play with configurations before ordering different wires.
    Just made a nice working build for my mech mod with the wires I already have.
    Finally my kayfun 5 works fine, my mech mod works fine, and even the pico-melo assembly as reserve device works fine.
    Thanks again for all the help!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Zutankhamun

May 22, 2015
    Rapture
    No worries bud. Good it's working out for you, but like I said I only use 1.7mm in my rtas now and never a dry hit.
    If I ever go for clouds then it's a 24 guage .4 on a Samsung 25r, or 0.3 with my Sony vtc 4s.

Edit: sorry. if it's a dripper, like you I use 2.5 or 3mm drill bits (hardly ever)

Remember to be safe all the time with your mech, and even more so when you are going quite low like that.:thumbs:

One last thing. It's the thickness of the lower guage wire so more heat can be applied without popping wires.
    More heat, obviously more vapour.

But don't forget the airflow.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hadrian21

Hadrian21 Full Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Romania
    the coil that works nice on mech is at 0,66 ohm measured with pico. Next build I will try at 0,7-0,75 ohm because it is now almost too much vapour.
    Now I need to learn when battery is empty so I won't discharge it too much with the mech.

Dumb beginners question - how does actually a dripper work? I searched for detailed explanation but didn't found detailed enough.
    Consider I have seen drippers only in pictures on the net and haven't met any user until now.
    You put few drops on the cotton then vape them? So you need the juice bottle with you to vape? I have seen they have no chimney. Don't you get liquid in the mouth? People on youtube say drippers have the best flavour - is it true?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zutankhamun

May 22, 2015
    Rapture
    Lol. Too much vapour now. Ha
    I'll admit it took me a year of learning (mostly from here) before I felt comfortable with a mech.
    I hope as an engineer your safe with everything. Battery safety and short circuits and all that.

heres one of my drippers
    IMG_0239.JPG
    This ones a vector and as you can see there is no space for any juice so you have to keep the bottle on you yes.
    There is only space for this funky build which is .4 I think.
    The airflow is ridiculous. Some more than others.
    The vapour and flavour is extreme as there is no length for the vapour to travel and cool, (and generally massive airflow) just goes straight to your lips.
    Tbh though, my taste is pretty rubbish and although it's noticeably better, it's not night and day for me. It is for some.
    So it's just a coil and then cotton through it. You 'drip' your juice straight on the cotton and unless you go temp control and you choose to use a mech instead, you will begin to notice the flavour dying. Time for a drip...

Nicotine is usually reduced so much cos it's extreme. I vape a 12 mtl but only a 3 mg in drippers, or anything direct lung.

Please be safe with your bits though. Learn what you need to and get safe batteries from safe places, and learn their abilities and whether they can do what you want.

Btw, you can get liquid in the mouth but not if you don't overdrip.

Phew... long one. Sorry

• Like Like x 2
  11. Exchaner

Exchaner Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 29, 2013
    California
    According to Steam Engine just the opposite is true. Thinner wire generates more heat per inch than does heavier gauge. Check the "Heat Flux" feature in Steam Engine. Higher gauge, lower heat index.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Zutankhamun

May 22, 2015
    Rapture
    I didn't say that isn't true man.
    What I meant was more heat can be applied, as trying to build something so low with a higher guage will mean less wraps and so if your pulling 80 watts to 1 or 2 wraps of 30
    They will most likely pop.

Of course you might wanna go with .5 mm dia and get 4 wraps but I don't think wicking will work out that well

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mactavish

Mactavish Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 19, 2010
    New York
    Great that you mentioned HEAT FLUX, I've brought this up a few times, as even experienced builders often overlook one of the most important elements of the science behind making a coil in the first place. Folks fall in love with certain types of wire, coil jigs, ect.

Keep your eyes on the prize: HEAT FLUX!

Oops, sorry, I believe we are straying from the thread title, there are plenty of threads on coil building, and I will refrain from further off topic posts here.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hadrian21

Hadrian21 Full Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Romania
    Thanks for the detailed answer!
    Regarding the batteries, I'm an electrical engineer and work in power supply field especially with UPS-es and their batteries so unless I get very drunk ... I should be safe. Also vapor giant mech mod is very well build and quite safe (idiot proof). Also it is 100% built from very thick ss so even if a battery explodes inside it should be much safer then any other electronic mod.
    Regarding vaping - 1,5 months ago when I received my kayfun I didn't knew vaping exists, and the same day I quitted smoking and I learned everything under a lot of pressure from my bodies nicotine urge! In the first evening I had to learn to build a deck (thank you youtube). I forgot to turn on liquid control and the first day I smoked mostly cotton not understanding the flavour mentions in the videos :)))
    I realize now that this kind of start was a bit of mistake but after 21 years of smoking and impossible for me to quitt - this was a promise I had to keep and now I don't regret this. I have began to like vaping much more then I liked smoking!
    I'm now down to 3 mg nicotine (after 6,5 weeks) and only vg (purchased a base with 86,5% vg diluted with 13,5% water directly by the manufacturer) but I vape about 8 ml / day (2 tanks) which is also a bit of excess.
    This is also because I have about 15 aromas and I'm egger to try them all so sometimes I vape just to empty the tank. I hope in few weeks to use only 1 tank/day but until 2-3 weeks ago I was still dreaming that I light up a cigarette so I'm not convinced that I start now to reduce vaping so soon.
    Here are the 2 toys that you have helped me with:
    btw, look at pico brushed version how the edges, fire button and battery cap look after about 3 weeks of usage. They looked identical with the body when purchased!

IMG_1029.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. Zutankhamun

May 22, 2015
    Rapture
    They look really nice. I want that mech now though!!
    I've got a few beautiful pieces but I want a side fire button mod and gg vapes are always sold out.
    Very nice.

Now I need to go and find out about heat flux!
    I'm still kinda right because I've popped a few low ohm 28 guage myself but...
    I've just gotta know.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hadrian21

Hadrian21 Full Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Romania
    on the website steam-engine when you enter coil calculator, configure your coil and when playing with the watts up and down you see the heat flux. it even varies the colour blue - green - red which I guess is blue to cold, green ok and red too hot.
    Now you see why I wanted to use the mech mod! Search dani extreme v3. It looks almost identical to my mech mod but from what I read is the most advanced electronic mod. A friend of mine from Germany has it and he is trilled.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Hadrian21

Hadrian21 Full Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Romania
    I still have something I don't understand:
    When I check the cotton of the kayfun 5 on one side of the coil the de cotton is white on the other one is dark braun all the way down in the liquid holes.
    Checked air holes, liquid holes, everything. Nothing different between left and right. Did it happen to you?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Zutankhamun

May 22, 2015
    Rapture
    thats a bit weird if it's all defo the same...

The only thing I can think is when you build with a coil make sure it heats from the centre out by pulsing and intermittently lightly brushing it with something metallic. Otherwise one side is getting hotter.

Take the wick out and see if the coil is heating from centre outwards.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hadrian21

Hadrian21 Full Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Romania
    That's what I don't understand! wicks identical, coil heats from center outwards, tried several coils and the same result. SS and kathal acts the same! The darker part is actually with "kooked" e-liquid because if I put the wick under water it gets white so it is not burned. Before the o-rigs situation both sides went dark very quick. Now just one side and this after about 2 tanks.
    the photo above has about 4-5 tanks behind it. IMG_1030.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hadrian21

Hadrian21 Full Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Romania
    this is another issue with my k5 since purchase.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.