Sweetener

Status
Not open for further replies.

cola_fiend2003

Verified Member
Aug 1, 2012
Brampton ON Canada
For all you vets out there, a newb has a question prior to his first attempt at DIY. I prefer desert type flavours (sweet tooth as my name gives up). If for example i make a chocolate type of flavour, how would I go about making it sweeter if the chocolate overall pallet, persay, is already strong or 'thick' enough? Am I explaining it right? It's chocolatey but not sweet enough. This is an example and I just chose the chocolate flavour. Is there a particular flavour type that will do something like this?
Hope someone understands what I am getting at.:confused::blink::?:

nebulas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
Earth
The most common sweetener is Ethyl Maltol
http://www.ecigexpress.com/diy-supplies-powders-and-crystals-c-43_92/ethyl-maltol-select-size-p-295

You can also buy LorAnns or TPA Cotton Candy flavors which is essentially the same thing except it is already diluted in PG.

Surcralose is another sweetener
http://www.ecigexpress.com/diy-supp...tals-c-43_92/pure-sucralose-powder-20g-p-1326

The Ethyl Maltol is the most common one. I am not yet experienced enough to give you advice on which to use with your chocolate.

flarg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2012
Here
There's Stevia. Better Vapes offers Kal Stevia or Sucralose (Splenda) sweetener options/additions. I don't know exactly how to properly mix these things in, though, and what form should/shouldn't be used. Like, since Splenda is made from sucralose, can I just take a packet and pour it in my juice and voila? I know it would be difficult to dissolve, but in enough time it should. What about Agave nectar?
And for other sweeteners, why aren't they used? Like just sugar. Or honey. Why can't I vape maple syrup? Is it because it'll burn? Not vaporize?

purelyscientific

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
NewYork
If I make a chocolate recipe I'd make it at around 5-8% chocolate and maybe 4% ethyl. I like to keep my ethyl maltol at about half the percentage of the flavoring I'm using unless its already a sweet flavor to begin with. For cotton candy flavors I mix it at the same percentage. Like 10% cherry and 10% ethyl.
I include it to the total flavoring because its PG based.
It seems like nobody uses as much as me. *shrugs*
I like things to be sweet.

Sucralose is way sweeter than EM.

IndyJones

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2012
Clearwater, FL
floridalawweb.com
There's Stevia. Better Vapes offers Kal Stevia or Sucralose (Splenda) sweetener options/additions. I don't know exactly how to properly mix these things in, though, and what form should/shouldn't be used. Like, since Splenda is made from sucralose, can I just take a packet and pour it in my juice and voila? I know it would be difficult to dissolve, but in enough time it should. What about Agave nectar?
And for other sweeteners, why aren't they used? Like just sugar. Or honey. Why can't I vape maple syrup? Is it because it'll burn? Not vaporize?

i've read elsewhere on this forum that the splenda you buy in the store has a lot of other chemicals in it. Probably not a good idea to use it for vaping.

pinellaspete

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
Safety Harbor, FL
Chocolate can be a really tough flavor to formulate. If you seem to be having trouble you might want to try my recipe.

This is for a 5ml mix:

5 drops PA Double Dark Chocolate
5 drops PA Double Clear Chocolate
2 drops PA Raspberry
4 drops Ethyl Maltol
2 drops Concentrated Lemon Juice

If you add 4 drops of PA Creme de Menthe to this mix it tastes just like a York Peppermint Patty.

Good luck!

Swampey65

ECF Veteran
I find that for any DIY mix I do - no matter the flavor, I add my sweetener based on overall amount of juice I am making.

Example: If I am making 10ml's of RY4, I add 4 drops of Flavor apprentice "Sweetener" as well as 4 drops Flavor apprentice Ethyl Maltol. I have found that as a "rule of thumb", I use 2 drops sweetener (whatever sweetener you choose) to every 5ml's of E-Juice. I am a little on the sweet side as far as sweeteners go, as I hate to taste any of the "Alkaline taste" that seem to be imparted from the PG/VG.

Of course, keep in mind that anything that any of us tell you here, is all based on OUR personal taste/preference...this ain't science that's written in stone it's just a "starting point" for you to tweak from there to YOUR liking.

Me, I seem to put TPA Sweetener and Ethyl Maltol in EVERYTHING! That's me....you may not. Recently, I have also found that adding TPA "Smooth" in all of my mixes - be they fruity, Tobacco or a menthol juice really seems to give the vapor that "rounded out" feel and adds to a feeling of a "fuller" vapor closer to what cigarette smoke "felt" like...if that makes any kind of sense!

Bottom line: EXPERIMENT, EXPERIMENT, EXPERIMENT, EXPERIMENT, EXPERIMENT! Yeah, you'll waste some juice here & there and make some unbearable junk juice...so what! Just expect that to happen. Actually, PRAY for it to happen! It will help you to get closer to nirvana alot quicker when it's all said and done.

DIY ain't for the faint of heart! If you are afraid to screw up here and there, (not saying you are) then stick to buying it. I have found that you really have to use that part of your DNA that isn't afraid to say "Hey watch this". I find that this mentality, while not compatible with firearms or explosives; is an absolute necessity when it comes to DIY:p

Ok, that's my .02 and It didn't cost ya .03 to get it...lol

Good Luck and just go for it!

murphyinsight

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2012
Lobster Land

Never use real sugars, they will burn.

Swampey65

ECF Veteran
TPA (The Perfumer's Apprentice)

Here's an RY4 Example with TPA Sweetener, TPA E-M & TPA Smooth and again, this is to MY taste. You may think it sucks! Nevertheless, an example:

RY4_ZOOM.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread