The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

SXK DOGGY STYLE

Discussion in 'RTA' started by SKYYcamel, Jul 3, 2017.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ToolmanTexas

ToolmanTexas Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 14, 2014
    T for Texas!
    That gold deck would be the killer for me... The deck needs to be SS for me w no coating

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Brewdawg1181

Brewdawg1181 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 30, 2017
    Yeah, I was kidding, sort of. I've never bought a no-name clone yet, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't, for the right thing at the right price. I'm not in for this one, though, because the looks just don't mean that much to me. If I found I love Doggies, and wanted multiple, I might take a flyer for $13. But I maintain a very small arsenal compared to most here, and all is SS so far. I'm not even sure yet whether my SXK will go in the drawer with the Prime, Ares, K5 and Nautilus 2. I'm just hoping it'll give my Kayfun Mini 3's a run for the money- being shorter, having more capacity, maybe a little easier to build, and hopefully less condensation.

It is surprising that part of the deck is plated. It looks like it's removable, though. If you really like it @JoAnnW and it's removable, maybe you could swap it out. Or Dremel off the plating in the area that would be subject to high heat. Just a thought.
    upload_2018-1-30_8-44-8.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ToolmanTexas

May 14, 2014
    T for Texas!
    Some of the old black KFL clones had black plated decks back in the day... Avoided them like the plague but we had TONS of options for KF stuff.

• Like Like x 4
  4. JoAnnW

JoAnnW Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 19, 2012
    B'more MD
    Thanks for the input. I wanted to get multiple opinions before placing this order. I do have a gold Merlin mini but it's packed away because of some leaking issues.

• Like Like x 3
  5. lil_buddy

lil_buddy Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 9, 2017
    IMO, You should make the same build (same gauge wire, #turns, diameter, only diff will be the resistance) and set the wattage in TC to 10W, and start TC @ 350F. I would also shut off any preheat functionality.

Start there and tell us how that works

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. ToolmanTexas

May 14, 2014
    T for Texas!
    Honestly, I'm really not seeing a huge benefit to TC but I'm willing to play around w it a bit and be proven wrong.

IMO, a true innovation would be the ability to use any wire one likes, set the temp and vape on. A bit too much faff IMO, having to set the wattage also, spaced coils only, etc. I want to see an electric oven... set the temp and vape :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. lil_buddy

Mar 9, 2017
    i like the extended wick life and not worrying about dry hits (I vape tanks dry on occasion)

I should also add that if you are getting a vape with TC that is identical to what you already do/like, that's a win (imo)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. ToolmanTexas

May 14, 2014
    T for Texas!
    What percentage of wick life are you seeing added via TC?

Last time I had a dry hit was running an RTA in SS tank mode, which is not very often.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. lil_buddy

Mar 9, 2017
    500-1000%

• Like Like x 2
  10. Brewdawg1181

Aug 30, 2017
    Actually, what you're asking is really what you get with TC. Like you, I thought it'd be harder than it is before I tried. You don't have to do calculations, achieve specific ohms, or anything. But you will want to pick your wattage - if you get to 400f at 30W, it's gonna get hot fast, then drop off to nothing. If you do it at 6w, it'll take a while to get there. So if you just set watts at or near your typical, then limit the temp, it's no big deal at all. You get a more consistent vape, regardless of build. And for me, it was kind of a lot of work to pace my draw, and get that perfect vape. Now that it's set, I can just hit it.

And you will extend coil/wick life. With a decent TC mod, it'll totally eliminate dry hits, and never char your wick. Once you pick the watts/temp, you won't have to worry about it again. And you won't have to worry about counting the wraps in your coil, either- just get it similar to your typical build, and it'll compensate. Pretty much everything is simpler once you figure out watts/temp. I never had the time & patience to learn that much, and spend time on steam engine - I just wanted a good vape, and I love TC now that I have a mod that does it well! :thumb:

edit: Oh, and you don't have to do spaced coils. I do, but only because I like them better and I'm used to it.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ToolmanTexas

May 14, 2014
    T for Texas!
    In my reading it was claimed that you would not get an accurate reading with a contact coil.

Is that information inaccurate?

• Like Like x 3
  12. Brewdawg1181

Aug 30, 2017
    Hmmm...hadn't heard that. A quick google showed many people saying you can. And many others saying it works, but sometimes not as well with SS because SS has a little more ohm shift when heated than other mat'l. I never considered it, because I switched to spaced months ago, before trying tc, after seeing how it was actually easier & less fussy than making a contact coil (thanks to PBusardo).

Someone with more knowledge than me (pretty much anybody ;))should probably give you an answer.

BTW, I'm curious what mod are you using for TC? And I guess you're using 316L?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dubminer

Dubminer Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 10, 2016
    TC with contact coils is possible but not advisable in my opinion.I started off using contact coils in TC,it worked fine then out of the blue my ohm reading would go all over the place.This varied from maybe almost instantly to several days later. Never had one problem since switching to spaced coils. I never really got into TC until i started using DNA mods,far superior to anything else i tried. Just consistent perfect vape every time. I only use SS316 L.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ToolmanTexas

May 14, 2014
    T for Texas!
    I've upgraded all my eLeaf Pico 75s to Articfox and yes, 316L 28 gauge.

• Like Like x 2
  15. icebat

icebat Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    I'm with you on the dry hits. Never really had an issue when using regular power mode. I am very new to temp control, but I honestly don't see myself going back to power mode unless I'm using a mod that simply doesn't support tc. The thing that I like about it so much is the consistency of the vape. I tend to chain vape, and when in power mode, the vape can get quite warm, and even though I was never getting "Dry" Hits, my wick was almost always a little burn by the time I re-wicked. I know that doesn't seem like a huge issue, but trying to keep things as safe as possible for myself.

I'm using two pico's and one DNA75 mod. The pico's seem to work fine for me without applying any custom setting, or using articfox, but the DNA is definitely superior. Hard to say why, but the vape just seems a little smoother.

My wick seems to last quite a bit longer as well with a clean juice. I would say I get an extra week out of it, and even then, it's almost like I feel like I just need to re-wick because it's been so long. For reference, I usually re-wicked once a week in power mode, and doing it about every two weeks it seems now.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. ToolmanTexas

May 14, 2014
    T for Texas!
    I've heard Articfox and DNA are very close in abilities... I have a couple of DNA devices also.

• Like Like x 2
  17. icebat

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Is that pretty easy to install? Is there a dummies guide to getting it setup you can link me to? :thumbs: Seriously though, if you have any tips I'm all ears. I've been hearing about that, but don't want to deal with a super complicated setup.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ToolmanTexas

May 14, 2014
    T for Texas!
    I used these resources and did it fairly easily. But I'm a software developer :) ... still seemed fairly simple.

NFE Team
    NFE Team
    How to install · maelstrom2001/ArcticFox Wiki · GitHub

• Like Like x 3
  19. icebat

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Guess I should have asked this before I installed, but is there a way to revert to the old firmware? Also, I heard it said several times, that this firmware is great and gets up to almost as good as a DNA device. I know you said you just installed it recently, but what makes it so much improved over the stock pico firmware?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Brewdawg1181

Aug 30, 2017
    Amen to that!:thumb:

• Like Like x 2