SXK DOGGY STYLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2018
USA
JuThe flavor is great, I love how it looks, the drip tip is eeeh, so so. It's really short, gets warm fast and has some issues with condensation so I did get some spitback now and then (probably more so when I had it set for tighter draw). Siren V2 performs much better in that regard, but I guess switching the drip tip should help there (ordered a few of those as well).

I'll build my second Doggy today (I checked it a bit, and that one's drip tip sits a bit more tight so maybe less condensation should occur). Perhaps the control ring will sit a bit better too because I won't be removing that one, so I might get a bit better air flow control?
I agree on the steel drip tips as far as getting too warm, I use Delrin on all of mine, even those that did not come with one. I have not had spitting issues though with any drip tip on a Doggy. That sounds like a wicking issue.

If I close down the air flow it will get way tighter than i can reasonably get a draw from. One thing I do is relube the threads on the tank on every re-fill (insures no stuck tank issues and less wear on those threads) and I frequently (maybe every third re-fill) add some fresh lube to the airflow o-ring.

Reactions: stols001

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I agree on the steel drip tips as far as getting too warm, I use Delrin on all of mine, even those that did not come with one. I have not had spitting issues though with any drip tip on a Doggy. That sounds like a wicking issue.

If I close down the air flow it will get way tighter than i can reasonably get a draw from. One thing I do is relube the threads on the tank on every re-fill (insures no stuck tank issues and less wear on those threads) and I frequently (maybe every third re-fill) add some fresh lube to the airflow o-ring.
Funny how both of yous agree on the stock tip getting too warm. Maybe it's all in ones vaping style, but in both my dogs I use the standard drip tip at 23 watts with a .8 ohm coil and never felt any warmth. Like I said, probably my non chain vape style.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
@mouth, 98% of the Doggy AFC is just "fully open", and it is the last 2% where all the magic occurs.
I agree with this- adjusting the airflow seems to have no effect at all until it's closed to the point that the opening forms a circle. If you like to fiddle with AF, you probably won't like this design. And for the life of me, I can't figure out why they didn't put a "stop" in the ring to make removing the tank from the mod easier. But as @Dubminer taught us, you don't need to close it tight anyway- maybe one "hour" after feeling resistance. And this helps prevent o-ring wear. And the bottom o-ring is the only one subject to wear, which is nice.

But with all the talk about how easy it is/isn't to build on- I think one of the major assets of the doggy is being missed. Of course, most rta's require you to wrap a wire. Some newer ones, like Ares & Prime have ridges/guides to make it easier to trap. But this deck is open enough, and screws flat enough, that unlike other rta's, I've never had an issue with spitting the wire- which generates more cursing than any other issue for me in building (can't figure out why they didn't use phillips, though).

For me, though- the easiest part about the doggy is wicking. No matter whether I've used rayon, KGD, cotton bacon, I've never needed to thin, trim or be very particular about wick length. It hasn't mattered whether i cut the wick just short of the deck or had enough to tuck under and wrap a little, or whether I put a little bit of wick, or really force it in there. I can just throw it in and go. And it's wicked beautifully at higher wattages, all vg, chain vaping...no matter what I do, wicking keeps up, and I've never had a dry hit. No seepage, no leaking, no gurgling. Ever. Never once had to blow juice out of the AF. Wicking doesn't seem to cause any issues in this tank. In fact, I don't know what kind of magic they used - you look at those wide open juice slots at the bottom of the chimney, and wonder how it never gets flooded, even if it lays on its side overnight. I'm sure others have had a different experience, but for me, this is the overall easiest, most consistent and reliable tank I've ever used. Throw a build in, and it just works flawlessly every time. Other tanks may bring different qualities to the table (and I do use others), but if I'm leaving the house with just one tank, and need to trust it- this is the one.

Oh- speaking of simple: Unscrew one piece, and fill. Unscrew the same piece, and build. No twisting this, inverting that, and shutting off the other. Doesn't get much simpler. (All that said, I've still been considering trying the Dvarw!;))

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
And for the life of me, I can't figure out why they didn't put a "stop" in the ring to make removing the tank from the mod easier.

I found extremely easy way to unscrew my doggy tank. I have coil jig that has 6 removable short rods (1.5mm, 2.0mm, 2.5mm, 3.0mm, 3.5mm, 4.0mm) 1.5 mm is never used to make a coil (just wonder if anybody ever made such tiny di coil) but it is perfect tool to insert it into doggy AF slot and use it as lever to unscrew the tank... works perfectly... everytime... takes couple seconds and tank is effortlessly unscrewed without the need to take off AF ring.
I disassembled my doggy completely (removed pin and post) cleaned it very good in hot water and draw is much better... still a little too tight for my preference but definitely usable... I am really tempted to drill 2mm or 2.5mm opening... probably I will do it sooner or later as I like this tank simplicity and look...and flavor is very good...

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
I found extremely easy way to unscrew my doggy tank. I have coil jig that has 6 removable short rods (1.5mm, 2.0mm, 2.5mm, 3.0mm, 3.5mm, 4.0mm) 1.5 mm is never used to make a coil (just wonder if anybody ever made such tiny di coil) but it is perfect tool to insert it into doggy AF slot and use it as lever to unscrew the tank... works perfectly... everytime... takes couple seconds and tank is effortlessly unscrewed without the need to take off AF ring.
I disassembled my doggy completely (removed pin and post) cleaned it very good in hot water and draw is much better... still a little too tight for my preference but definitely usable... I am really tempted to drill 2mm or 2.5mm opening... probably I will do it sooner or later as I like this tank simplicity and look...and flavor is very good...
Just order a SJMY version.That has a 2.3 mm airflow compared to the 1.6 mm on the SXK.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
Just order a SJMY version.That has a 2.3 mm airflow compared to the 1.6 mm on the SXK.

I was thinking about that but decided to order Dvarw instead. I do not like doggy look with frosted glass...that yellow frosted tank on Dvarf look OK for me because it is only part of whole tank but white milky on doggy is not... If my drilling will not work out maybe I will order SJMY doggy... but I suffer for shinytis and currently eyeing another tank... Vapefly Galaxies MTL RTA....it looks nice, has diferent AF inserts and is easier to build than doggy (at least in regard to trapping coil legs) my quest for vape grail is never ending....

Dvarw is already for 3 days in Chicago (I live 50 miles) from Chicago) so on monday I will probably be able to try it...for sure I will not have problem with too tight draw on Dvarw ( ordered three different inserts) so hope flavor will be as good as on Doggy....

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
I was thinking about that but decided to order Dvarw instead. I do not like doggy look with frosted glass...that yellow frosted tank on Dvarf look OK for me because it is only part of whole tank but white milky on doggy is not... If my drilling will not work out maybe I will order SJMY doggy... but I suffer for shinytis and currently eyeing another tank... Vapefly Galaxies MTL RTA....it looks nice, has diferent AF inserts and is easier to build than doggy (at least in regard to trapping coil legs) my quest for vape grail is never ending....

Dvarw is already for 3 days in Chicago (I live 50 miles) from Chicago) so on monday I will probably be able to try it...for sure I will not have problem with too tight draw on Dvarw ( ordered three different inserts) so hope flavor will be as good as on Doggy....
Yes i can understand the cloudy glass problem. Apparently you can polish them clear with a rag and toothpaste, i have not tried yet. I use the acrylic tanks with both versions and after a couple of months they turn crystal clear anyway.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I found extremely easy way to unscrew my doggy tank. I have coil jig that has 6 removable short rods (1.5mm, 2.0mm, 2.5mm, 3.0mm, 3.5mm, 4.0mm) 1.5 mm is never used to make a coil (just wonder if anybody ever made such tiny di coil) but it is perfect tool to insert it into doggy AF slot and use it as lever to unscrew the tank... works perfectly... everytime...

A lot of people insert various things to unscrew it, but that's not always convenient. If you don't tighten it too much, you don't need a tool at all. I screw it on until you feel the resistance against the o-ring, then just barely turn a few degrees more. That's sufficient to prevent leaking. Then I can just use my thumb against the af ring and unscrew the tank without a tool. So you don't even need to remove it from the mod. At worst, I can just push my thumbnail in the af slot and unscrew. I think we're so used to screwing everything so tight to prevent leaking in atties, that we don't realize it only takes very slight pressure of the poly tank against the o-ring to make a secure seal. I didn't at first.

Here's Dub's video from several pages back.SXK DOGGY STYLE

Last edited:

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Still waiting on the doggy but I'm getting in some building supplies

Figuring on using ss316 - that way I can use it in wattage & tc mode.

Newbie questions: ;)

I'm after a airey build around 0.8 ohm. Not sure what gauge I need - thinking 28 gauge if its ss316.

Also what is the difference between spaced & contact coils - is one airier than the other?

And finally - I live in nz and can't seem to find a source for rayon/cellu cotton anywhere. It hasn't hit the vape shops yet - nor could I find it anywhere else. Does it have a different name or brand?

Reactions: stols001

bwh79

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 11, 2014
    Oregon
    I haven't noticed much of a difference in performance between spaced & contact coils. I have heard spaced gives a more stable resistance for TC, but I can't imagine how it would affect the airflow, at all.

I use 28g SS, 2mm ID, 9-wrap (I think?) at .73 ohms in my Doggy, in TC with 400F limit at 12.5w on a Pico. 6mg, usually unflavored, 50/50.

yakaki

Apr 8, 2018
    My trick with the doggy is screwing the base tight on the mod, with a 1mm jig in the airflow aid in controlling the tightness, and then screwing the pc tank just to the point of contact + a little bit more. not overly tight.
    that way when I want to refill I just screw off the pc tank without touching the base, the base stays on the mod since its screwed much tighter

Celt1

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 6, 2018
    USA

I'm after a airey build around 0.8 ohm. Not sure what gauge I need - thinking 28 gauge if its ss316.

Also what is the difference between spaced & contact coils - is one airier than the other?

And finally - I live in nz and can't seem to find a source for rayon/cellu cotton anywhere. It hasn't hit the vape shops yet - nor could I find it anywhere else. Does it have a different name or brand?

A 28 gauge slightly spaced SS316 coil should work fine. My absolute fav coil material for this and my other MTL tanks is the VV Superfine SS Clapton.

The rayon I use is this:
    51RezvxrFYL.jpg

As you can see it is marketed primarily as a beauty product, so a beauty supply place would be a place to check. I am not familiar with NZ online or brick and mortar options specifically, I got mine from Amazon.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I use 28 gauge ss wire quite often, it's good for MTL. I wouldn't sweat the contact vs spaced your first build, try both if you want and see which one actually turns out looking like a coil. I honestly haven't noticed huge differences between contact and spaced in TC, of course, I am a total wattage weinee etc. LOL.

I hope you have fun! :)

Anna

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia
    For me, though- the easiest part about the doggy is wicking. No matter whether I've used rayon, KGD, cotton bacon, I've never needed to thin, trim or be very particular about wick length. It hasn't mattered whether i cut the wick just short of the deck or had enough to tuck under and wrap a little, or whether I put a little bit of wick, or really force it in there. I can just throw it in and go. And it's wicked beautifully at higher wattages, all vg, chain vaping...no matter what I do, wicking keeps up, and I've never had a dry hit. No seepage, no leaking, no gurgling. Ever. Never once had to blow juice out of the AF. Wicking doesn't seem to cause any issues in this tank. In fact, I don't know what kind of magic they used - you look at those wide open juice slots at the bottom of the chimney, and wonder how it never gets flooded, even if it lays on its side overnight. I'm sure others have had a different experience, but for me, this is the overall easiest, most consistent and reliable tank I've ever used. Throw a build in, and it just works flawlessly every time. Other tanks may bring different qualities to the table (and I do use others), but if I'm leaving the house with just one tank, and need to trust it- this is the one.

↑↑↑ This this this this THIS ↑↑↑

And one of our bazillion little blue screwdrivers does the same trick. :LIKE!:

Yes i can understand the cloudy glass problem. Apparently you can polish them clear with a rag and toothpaste, i have not tried yet. I use the acrylic tanks with both versions and after a couple of months they turn crystal clear anyway.

Clear tank:

doggy style.jpg

Cloudy tank (new SJMY):

0412181707a.jpg

SJMY after a bit of usage:

sjmy on ola hero 0515181532_Burst01.jpg

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL

I use 316 for the same reason...sometimes I'm in TC, others power. Spaced coils will give you very slightly more flavor, because of the extra surface area. But it really is a small difference, so I wouldn't worry about it if you're new to building. I do spaced because when you're used to it, it only takes about another 2 seconds to space it. Learned watching Phil do it on a coilmaster.

I don't think you can do anything to the build to make it more or less airy, though. Except maybe putting the coil practically on the air intake hole, potentially making it less airy. But I'd always used a 2.5, and dubminer recommended going to a 2.0 on the doggy, and it really is better- I highly recommend that. And my sweetspot is with 28ga, 2.0mm, 8 wraps, about 0.64 ohms, and go 9-10.5W. About like this- but I don't know why this looks like it's mounted so low in the pic. I like it about 1.5-2mm above the deck hole.
    upload_2018-5-21_18-43-14.png

Dubminer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    I use 316 for the same reason...sometimes I'm in TC, others power. Spaced coils will give you very slightly more flavor, because of the extra surface area. But it really is a small difference, so I wouldn't worry about it if you're new to building. I do spaced because when you're used to it, it only takes about another 2 seconds to space it. Learned watching Phil do it on a coilmaster.

I don't think you can do anything to the build to make it more or less airy, though. Except maybe putting the coil practically on the air intake hole, potentially making it less airy. But I'd always used a 2.5, and dubminer recommended going to a 2.0 on the doggy, and it really is better- I highly recommend that. And my sweetspot is with 28ga, 2.0mm, 8 wraps, about 0.64 ohms, and go 9-10.5W. About like this- but I don't know why this looks like it's mounted so low in the pic. I like it about 1.5-2mm above the deck hole.
    View attachment 743527
    Pretty perfect build right there.

sk25411

ECF Veteran
    Sep 8, 2017
    San Diego, California
    Finally got some 28g SS, and made the build mentioned above by @Brewdawg1181

It seems strange to me, that it performs so well at low wattage, but I just go with it. So far, it’s working great in TC @10-11w, and 380F.

Really nice flavor, and excellent good dog, as usual.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL

It seems strange to me, that it performs so well at low wattage, but I just go with it. So far, it’s working great in TC @10-11w, and 380F.

Glad it's working for you. If I'm in TC, I usually limit it to about 420, but at those ohms & 10W or so, I don't usually reach that anyway, so it might as well be in power mode. I just find that anything over 11W just kind of kills the flavor for me.
    Funny that with smoking, it was just simply a matter of liking a brand or not. So many variables in vaping, and everyone likes something different!

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
    Jun 5, 2016

Glad it's working for you. If I'm in TC, I usually limit it to about 420, but at those ohms & 10W or so, I don't usually reach that anyway, so it might as well be in power mode. I just find that anything over 11W just kind of kills the flavor for me.
    Funny that with smoking, it was just simply a matter of liking a brand or not. So many variables in vaping, and everyone likes something different!

Same here. Used the exact build a while back to try out TC in the Doggy. Never really noticed that much of a difference, to be honest. But, that same build works just fine in my usual 7.5 to 9 watts range in power mode. So, I stick with power mode. Still need to try SS builds out on more of my juices...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread