SXK DOGGY STYLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony01

May 3, 2018
@sk25411 bypass mode on your pico is the same as a mech. try it and see.

formula for mech watts is P=v^2/r so you are looking at about a 1.5ohm coil to vape at the same watts. That thing is gonna be more than twice as long as mine, so yea probably gonna have to go with kanthal to do it on a mech.

You haven't told me your resistance, but since you said you have 28g sst you probably have something in the range of .5-.8 ohm, and when you put it in bypass its gonna be vaping at 20-30 watts.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
2.5-3.0 here, with a preference to the latter for my own ease. I don't put too much thought in. Wrap it, wick it, vape it (rinse & repeat).

I can't tell much difference between (a) the the brands, nor (b) the size of my coil. For whatever reason, my dogs all vape pretty much the same.

Excellent vape, always 100% dry (downright amazingly so), and I enjoy them a lot.

Feed da dawgz. :vapor:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I gotcha...years ago before steam engine and stuff, it was like you had to have a multimeter for mechs but now I think alot just look at those wire apps instead or like you just feel comfortable as you pretty much know what it is...I think that ok personality in those resistance range, but lower, like under .4ish, not so sure on a mech as it's too close to a possible short imo.....i guess everyone is different, as when I tried SS I actually found it not to last as long long as kanthal. Maybe I bought some cheap wire, but after a month or so the ss coils started to develop hot spots, like fractures or something, plus I just didn't care for the smoothness. I have often heard of people liking ss because of taste, TC, etc, but never heard of them liking it because they don't get dry hits like they did with kanthal
It's not a formula. When I had a regulated mod I knew that a spaced 6.5x2mm 28ga coil was .65ohm. I just went from there. It is probably not exactly .55ohm but within +/- .05ohm.

I started with kanthal wire. I think my first coil was around 1 ohm. Messed around with that but was getting dry hits often. Went with SST and never looked back. After about 6 months I tried a kanthal coil again now that I had some experience wrapping. Same .....

The other benefit of SST is that it is much stronger than kanthal. So when you change your wick, the coil doesn't change shape. Also cleaning the coil by dry burning and quenching will make kanthal crack and break.. SST can take a lot more abuse.

I like to spend less time dealing with my vape and more time vaping, and with the same consistency. I found the setup I liked in bypass mode on the regulated mod and just run it now on the mech. Battery lasts longer as well as there is no circuitry, and no fire button delay as on a circuit mod.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I gotcha...years ago before steam engine and stuff, it was like you had to have a multimeter for mechs but now I think alot just look at those wire apps instead or like you just feel comfortable as you pretty much know what it is...I think that ok personality in those resistance range, but lower, like under .4ish, not so sure on a mech as it's too close to a possible short imo.....i guess everyone is different, as when I tried SS I actually found it not to last as long long as kanthal. Maybe I bought some cheap wire, but after a month or so the ss coils started to develop hot spots, like fractures or something, plus I just didn't care for the smoothness. I have often heard of people liking ss because of taste, TC, etc, but never heard of them liking it because they don't get dry hits like they did with kanthal

SS is popular because a spaced coil can be used in power or TC mode. Kanthal ... only power mode. They probably last equally as long. I don't see a difference between the flavor of the two. It's more of a personal preference. I change SS coils maybe once a month. When its rough feeling after a dry burn and wash, it comes off and a new one goes on.

A spool of SS316L is cheap and lasts for a couple of years.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
@Tony01

I want to try the doggy on a mech, but haven’t taken the plunge yet.

I’ve been on 28g SS for a while now, but I vape at 10.5w on my pico’s.

If I vaped that same coil on a mech, wouldn’t it be much hotter? I’d probably have to go to kanthal if I wanted a cooler vape?

I know I could research and all that, but this particular thread has some very helpful folks!

On a mech the vape is dependent on the current voltage level of the battery. A single battery mech would start out at 4.2v and run down to about 3v before a battery change, but you wouldn't like the vape when the battery hit that point.

Most mods can synthesize voltages up to 6v or more to achieve higher wattage.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Yes all that info is well know, but it was the dry hit thing I never heard . I just never heard of people having dry hit issues with kanthal but not with Ss. I guess everyone has different experiences and I'm sure no one has ever heard of my quirk with SS, to me, I find I get a bit more TH with kanthal compared to SS which I like .
SS is popular because a spaced coil can be used in power or TC mode. Kanthal ... only power mode. They probably last equally as long. I don't see a difference between the flavor of the two. It's more of a personal preference. I change SS coils maybe once a month. When its rough feeling after a dry burn and wash, it comes off and a new one goes on.

A spool of SS316L is cheap and lasts for a couple of years.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Probably not even 4.2 volts because of voltage drop within the mod itself. Maybe today's mechs are much better, but I had my fair share like 5 or so years ago and found a good bit of voltage drop in each one. I think on average there was like 3.9v that actually got to the coil and shortly there after went down and down. Usually the lower the resistance, the higher the voltage loss.
On a mech the vape is dependent on the current voltage level of the battery. A single battery mech would start out at 4.2v and run down to about 3v before a battery change, but you wouldn't like the vape when the battery hit that point.

Most mods can synthesize voltages up to 6v or more to achieve higher wattage.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Probably not even 4.2 volts because of voltage drop within the mod itself. Maybe today's mechs are much better, but I had my fair share like 5 or so years ago and found a good bit of voltage drop in each one. I think on average there was like 3.9v that actually got to the coil and shortly there after went down and down. Usually the lower the resistance, the higher the voltage loss.

Yes, 4.2v is optimal and falls quickly. Resistance in the connections would take the actual voltage at the coil a but more. I'm spoiled these days. I want the mod to do the math and make the vape what I expect to be at the drip tip. :)

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Yes, 4.2v is optimal and falls quickly. Resistance in the connections would take the actual voltage at the coil a but more. I'm spoiled these days. I want the mod to do the math and make the vape what I expect to be at the drip tip. :)
I agree....when I was into mechs, it was at the time 15 watts was the maximum you could get in any regulated device. I was doing rebuildable gennys and I wanted to experiment on higher wattages like 20 , so mechs was the only way...I kept vaping mechs praying and waiting for the dna 20 and once that was released, I personally never seen the need for a mech anymore....well except for the reo that I got into for a while. I know mechers say they like them because nothing can go wrong with them, which I agree, but I buy very nice regs and never had one fail ever and I have alot that are years and years old with never an issue. I did love mechs though, definitely something to say about making your coil to suit your wattage

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
One of my favorite-ever mods was an Electric Angel I bought, way back when. I SO loved that thing. The look, the feel, the telescoping...

It killed me to sell it off. I simply found that I couldn't deal with voltage drops. I probably should have known that from my jump to a Provari (from a GoGo), but like many, I'm subject to what @Katdarling describes as, "Monkey see, monkey vape", (aren't we all?) I read about the great mechs here, and decided I "needed" one.

Things have changed a lot since then (lower resistances, etc.), but I guess I just decided that I was happy with my vape.

I think I'm still waiting on my first dry-hit. I've heard they suk. ;)

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Doggy is here! How far up the tank do you fill with juice? Searched and found nada.

I fill dem bad boys (with just enough to breathe).

ProviTi-Doggy_20180822_174209.jpg

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
My SJMY Doggy has landed! 2.5mm contact coil, 1.1Ω. Good flavor, lots of vapor, airflow good for me (not too tight). If she proves to be a non-leaker/seeper/weeper I'll be getting a couple more!

Did not include a drip tip! Had to use a Kayfun v3 tip.

doggy.jpg

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
My SJMY Doggy has landed! 2.5mm contact coil, 1.1Ω. Good flavor, lots of vapor, airflow good for me (not too tight). If she proves to be a non-leaker/seeper/weeper I'll be getting a couple more!

Did not include a drip tip! Had to use a Kayfun v3 tip.

doggy.jpg
Filling - yes, as much as you can before you get to the slots & it'll overflow into the chimney is fine. You're going with some serious ohmage there at 1.13! If that doesn't do it for you, you might try around .5 - .6 - my sweetspot with the doggy. But it'll probably still be great!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
LOL fortunately I never watched those videos, as until I got the hang of refilling that sucker, well, it was kind of a pain. I now use the (otherwise useless) little blue screwdriver and jam it in the slot.

Of course, my doggy video was a set of disembodied hands, like, assembling and filling it to some quite creepy music, it's no wonder I don't remember all the details.

Anna

Reactions: DPLongo22

Tony01

May 3, 2018
Cant get much leverage with the little screwdriver.

If you carry a knife it is great to hold the base.

Would anybody here like some spanner wrenches cut out? Should be cheap enough with laser cutting.

LOL fortunately I never watched those videos, as until I got the hang of refilling that sucker, well, it was kind of a pain. I now use the (otherwise useless) little blue screwdriver and jam it in the slot.

Of course, my doggy video was a set of disembodied hands, like, assembling and filling it to some quite creepy music, it's no wonder I don't remember all the details.

Anna

Attachments

• 6253AF87-7FB1-43B0-A467-B99E768AA46B.jpeg
    6253AF87-7FB1-43B0-A467-B99E768AA46B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Cant get much leverage with the little screwdriver.

If you carry a knife it is great to hold the base.

Would anybody here like some spanner wrenches cut out? Should be cheap enough with laser cutting.
But no tools are really needed with the doggy. If it takes more than pushing a thumbnail in the AF slot to unscrew it, it's tighter than it needs to be. Takes very little to seal it well. I found this is also true with the SJMY, even without that oring at the base. Just try screwing it on until it makes contact, then about "1 hour" more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread