Status
Not open for further replies.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Oh, yeah, I wasn't even thinking about those. Something like this. Never occurred to me in this discussion. I've seen 'em, but it was before my time. I did a swap with someone, giving them my Prime for a KF2, and it had one like this one still in it. I'm sure you've done them similarly, back in the day.
View attachment 768171
That is what the contact micro coil replaced...that is 2mm silica wick and a very spaced coil. With those, you really couldn't move to even 28g wire, because as with a mech, the wattage would have been way more then what we were vaping , or to low a resistance to what the only 2 regulated devices were able to fire. So micro contacts were implimented to obtain a better way. Also it sucked to wrap wire around silica and then attach to posts (cotton was the answer along with a sturdier coil).

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I didn't see anything about temp in that post I responded to...maybe I missed it....my bad

Yeah, I thought everyone missed it...expected someone with more tc/mod knowledge than me to chime in, but I think that comment disappeared in a flurry of posts, there.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Okay, I'm home and have my P80 now. I tried, and almost no vapor at 270F.

So first you triple clicked the fire button, then clicked the right button, to get to TCSS mode, right?
Then adjusted the wattage to 400F, and the watts to 15? And you look at the display immediately after hitting it (it only gives you a second or so), and see 265F?
Just making sure. A quick click of the fire button should show this, with TCSS in upper left, your wattage, etc.
View attachment 768169
Yes to all of the above, except that I usually check the temp at the end of the fire or while firing.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I don't know about grammerly, not sure it's worth a paid subscription to a service that well, only catches ONE error, and repeatedly wants to send your documents off for proofreading at a price. I would not pay for grammerly, it is in no way any better than word, frankly.

I have paid good money for a good proofreader, and that is actually worth something-- if the proofreader. Etc.

As far as the doggy, it's one of the more flexible builds and tanks I have. I'm sure it can be optimized but so far whatever I have thrown at it (somewhat variable) it has handled Just Fine.

Anna
I use the free Chrome extension for online writing, like these forums, stec.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Okay, I'm home and have my P80 now. I tried, and almost no vapor at 270F.

So first you triple clicked the fire button, then clicked the right button, to get to TCSS mode, right?
Then adjusted the wattage to 400F, and the watts to 15? And you look at the display immediately after hitting it (it only gives you a second or so), and see 265F?
Just making sure. A quick click of the fire button should show this, with TCSS in upper left, your wattage, etc.
View attachment 768169

Yes to all of the above, except that I usually check the temp at the end of the fire or while firing.
OK, I checked it again after it had 30 minutes to cool. Went from VW to TC-SS and now it's reading a high temp of 365 (set at 400). I think the problem may be that I initially set up TC when the coil was warm. I'll let it cool completely and then set it as a new coil and see what happens.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    OK, I checked it again after it had 30 minutes to cool. Went from VW to TC-SS and now it's reading a high temp of 365 (set at 400). I think the problem may be that I initially set up TC when the coil was warm. I'll let it cool completely and then set it as a new coil and see what happens.

If you want even more tweaking ability with the p80 - have a look at arctic fox firmware. If you have a PC - you plug in the mod and you can fine tune it down to the real nittygritties.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Yeah, I thought everyone missed it...expected someone with more tc/mod knowledge than me to chime in, but I think that comment disappeared in a flurry of posts, there.
    That wouldn't be me for sure. TC, diy, drop in coils is definitely not my strong suite

Tony01

May 3, 2018

Different mods do TC differently.

TCR value pretty much tells the mod how much the resistance changes for a degree of C. so, a higher TCR value will give you more power the longer you draw on it (because it expects a larger change in resistance), and a very low TCR will lower the power very fast at tiny increases in temp.

Not all mods are created equal, and some mods may not read changes in resistance too fast. So start with the recommended TCR value of 92, but feel free to move it up as far as 125 if that makes it run better. Without going to custom AF firmware, you can effectively use the TCR value to "tune" your power ramping or trailing off throughout the hit.

Also 15W is not going to take you to 400F. Try setting it to 30W and setting temp to about 290. the mod will automatically throttle back the wattage based on your temp setting. Even if you have it set at max temp for your mod, it may never exceed 20W or whatever based on your temp setting.

Remember to lock in your coil when it's cold.

Also I may have gotten that tcr ramping stuff backwards. But whatever the tcr or temp, the wattage you set will be the highest amount of power your mod throws at it.

Last edited:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    I don't know about grammerly, not sure it's worth a paid subscription to a service that well, only catches ONE error, and repeatedly wants to send your documents off for proofreading at a price. I would not pay for grammerly, it is in no way any better than word, frankly.

I have paid good money for a good proofreader, and that is actually worth something-- if the proofreader. Etc.

As far as the doggy, it's one of the more flexible builds and tanks I have. I'm sure it can be optimized but so far whatever I have thrown at it (somewhat variable) it has handled Just Fine.

Anna

A girl who worked for me, who I also happened to be training to replace me (2-4 years back) is an absolute dynamo in every fashion, except one. She had/has terrible grammar. Try as I had, she'd only made it so far by the time I needed to leave the company in her hands.

My last order of business was convincing her to sign up for Grammarly.

We remain in contact to this day ("Grasshopper" deal), and she thanks me constantly for that recommendation. I do believe that if she hadn't, her emails would have sunk her in the long run.

So, I'd say that it depends on a person's needs. In some cases, I'd highly recommend it (which I guess is obvious, huh). :)

magicmyst

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 10, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    @magicmyst Depends on what gauge the wire is. I use 28 GA SS316L and 15 watts is around right for TC. Thicker wire might require more.
    My build is 28ga SS316L, 2.4mm ID, .85Ω. Power between 15 - 15.5 watts. However, with TC max set at 400℉, the temp never goes above 365℉. Is that normal?

magicmyst

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 10, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    A girl who worked for me, who I also happened to be training to replace me (2-4 years back) is an absolute dynamo in every fashion, except one. She had/has terrible grammar. Try as I had, she'd only made it so far by the time I needed to leave the company in her hands.

My last order of business was convincing her to sign up for Grammarly.

We remain in contact to this day ("Grasshopper" deal), and she thanks me constantly for that recommendation. I do believe that if she hadn't, her emails would have sunk her in the long run.

So, I'd say that it depends on a person's needs. In some cases, I'd highly recommend it (which I guess is obvious, huh). :)
    I cringe when I read posts from otherwise intelligent folks making really egregious errors like then/than and their/there/they're.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 10, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Also 15W is not going to take you to 400F. Try setting it to 30W and setting temp to about 290. the mod will automatically throttle back the wattage based on your temp setting. Even if you have it set at max temp for your mod, it may never exceed 20W or whatever based on your temp setting.
    Thank you! That's what I really wanted to know!

Remember to lock in your coil when it's cold.
    You mean lock the resistance?

Again sorry for all the coil talk here in the doggie house. I'll take any new questions over to a more appropriate thread. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread