Status
Not open for further replies.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Just a little thread about a newer (?) vaping option ...
By now, many of you might know that I try an annual vaping equipment poll. It has been pointed out to me that the Unofficial Equipment of the Year Poll might be outdated. I've always listed two categories : Power Source and Juice Burners.
But vaping is still expanding, and now I am hearing about "Pods"...
Are Pods really becoming a 'mainstream" item in the Vaping Community ? Who makes them and are they as reliable as your typical Vaping Gear ?
Heck, I still refer to my phone as a Smart(er than me) Phone. This 21st Century gets confusing fo an old fart
Or as Granda Simpson once said ;

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Depends on who you view as in the vaping community. Pods range from the classic Juul, through refillable pods like the Innokin EQ (I can vouch for it being quite good for mtl), Aspire Breeze, Sourin Air, and just about every other manufacturer out there. On the "high end" there is even a Lost Vape Orion, which offers mtl and dl adjustable airflow pods and runs on a DNA Go board, which offers adjustable wattage and Replay.

Pods have come a long way in the last 2 years. Once they were considered pure starter type setups, and barely a step up from cigalikes like Blu and Vuse, Now they're still great for simplicity for folks staring out, but are becoming better performers that even established vapes look to if not as their primary setup, as an out and about simple throw in the pocket solution.

The popularity of pods parallels the rise in nic salt juices on the market, which work well for a mtl pod mod. I think they will continue to grow as the pods improve in performance, and as more sophisticated features such as that found on the DNA Go board that offers adjustable wattage and Replay continue to be released.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I never considered Pods. Does Nic salt enter the bloodstream for a sodium rise? I'm one who has to watch salt for blood pressure spikes. My BP will rise 20 or 30 points for a few hours after a high salt meal.

That said, there's lots of articles on the subject that debunk the myth that salt raises BP. Those articles talk about water retention, not salt, being the cause. I do know that when I have a high salt hit from a meal my BP rises for several hours following. I tend to read labels for salt content and steer away from those with high salt numbers on the package.

Last edited:

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I never considered Pods. Does Nic salt enter the bloodstream for a sodium rise? I'm one who has to watch salt for blood pressure spikes. My BP will rise 20 or 30 points for a few hours after a high salt meal.
Good question

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
No, no need to worry about sodium. That's not how nic salts are made (lots of different things are salts that have nothing to do with sodium like table salt used for food). The advantage to nic salts is the high concentration of nic so can use without it being harsh or giving too much throat hit. That makes it a good match to a mtl pod that only holds say 2 ml of juice. You can get enough nic without having to chain vape it (unless you want to) or deal with too harsh a vape.

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
Pods are especially great for going outdoors and taking to work. They're usually inexpensive, so there's no shedding tears for a dropped or lost one. (Unless it's the only one you have with you, which would be user error!)

They also tend to be lightweight and discreet, which is a plus.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
The Orion is so small and light I was amazed. The pods can be filled, I'm on my 13th fill in first pod. Only takes 45 min to charge the Orion. Plus it is gorgeous :) I use the .50 pod and use regular nic, not salts.

Attachments

• IMG_0848.JPG
    IMG_0848.JPG
    447.1 KB · Views: 35

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Never tried a pod because I'm pretty sure that's kind of what my regular gear is, kind of....I know these pods use replacement pods and coils, but the rest of it is very close to my regular everyday devices. I seen specs on some of the pods, like the orion, and it's not much smaller then my devices (in fact i think its bigger)and I use very high nic like the pods as well. I guess you can say I use a higher quality, rebuildable kind of pod, at least imo.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I've tried a bunch of the more inexpensive pods trying to find something my SO would vape. Our favorites are the Vaporesso Nexus and the Aspire Breeze 2. Strangely enough the cheapest one (myblu on sale for $1) is my favorite. They're all refillable and I can change the coils on the first two. Myblu has such small coils I'm waiting on an order from ft before attempting to change their coils altho I've changed the wicks.
I don't think the pods will ever replace my regular vapes but they're great for a high nic dose and taking out and around. Plus they recharge much faster than an 18650 battery! ;)

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
I moved from cig-a-likes to something bigger because i needed a device which had power that lasted two or three days, same goes for the liquid component of the device.

Pods are cig-a-likes re-invented. Will work wonders for a lot of new users because of the improvements made.

Not sure, and a little baffled, why the industry hasn't, or doesn't, provide pods for pre-existing devices.

Or maybe they do, i don't know !.

Reactions: United States

jjcordone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
Rhode Island
I picked up a OVNS JC01 pod kit. This is really small, square 400mah battery that is compatible with the Juul pods. I've been using fresh Juul pods with my real Juul battery when I'm out and about.
The OVNS battery with refilled Juul pods at home. I bought a large bottle of 50/50 (pg/vg) 60mg nic base from Liquid Nicotine Wholesalers and a bottle of naturally extracted tobacco concentrate from stixxmixx to refill my Virginia Tobacco Juul pods. Pretty close in flavor, but certainly not dead on and not good enough that I'd stop buying new ones. I look at it as by even refilling once, I'm cutting the pod cost in half.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
The only pod I've tried, Renova Zero, has become my go-to device. Easily a match for what I believe was mainstream vaping, circa 2014 and still today for many diehard Tootle Puffers. I can't imagine a cigalike that wouldn't be blown totally away by it.

I can and have Vaped my 650 mAh VV batts with GS Air tanks side by side with the pod. Airflow with one inlet plugged is a match for the GS air as I have the GS AFC set, vapor production a step above. Flavor in my opinion the same. The big advantage to me is the tiny size and the fact that the Zero has preset TC.

Anyone calling them a new age cigalike? Pfffft!

Never, in the future of vaping, do I imagine every vaper carrying the same identical device. But many, like myself, everyday are discovering exactly what pod device really is and appreciate them for that. And just like every other device out there, the makers are improving on them almost every day.

They'll not satisfy a full blown wide open air flow cloud chaser. But any Tootle Puffers that scoff at them are missing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread