Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Portland, OR / San Francisco CA
So I am intrigued by temp control.
Practically speaking, I'm so sure it it would be a huge advantage for me as my vaping chops are solid enough that I rarely get a dry hit. Of course there is the safety thing...

Power wise it should be ideal, I rarely go above 40 and usually live in the mid 20w range.

I like the size of the rdna a lot but I am not crazy about the screen being on the bottom. Not a deal breaker though.
Not crazy about the xpv and I am not willing to pay for a Hana or anything else.

My main ride right now is a IPV2, which save for the very stupid placement of the USB port I am very happy with.

If anything I would rotate between the two or keep the ipv as a 2nd stringer.

My GF has been bugging me for a regulated mod, so I figured I would pass down my Cloupor Hana to her and then pull the trigger on the vs Dna40.

TIA gang!

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
I think it may be a waste for you unless you have money to burn. Especially for people like us that are well experienced. If your using rayon your 90% there the DNA 40 will just avoid the occasional mistake where we forget to fill the tank or drip when we get the warning signs. D40 will just reduce your power at this time. Too soon to tell, but if your on the fence at least wait for the next version.

Last edited:

Kaiju

Nov 7, 2014
If you are going to get a new vw mod then I would definitely go for a dna 40.

The temp control does more than just keep you from getting dry hits

-You can totally dry out your wick without burning your wick to switch juice without any of the old flavor
-It actually puts out more wattage until you hit your set temp so you get to where you like it with less ramp up time
-Reverse battery protection (nobody's perfect all the time)

Also I'd at least check out this one as an option
PVA 40
$140
Screen not on the bottom
USB position so you can put it in a cup holder so you can drive,vape and charge
2x 18650 but only 12mm wider

Kaiju

Nov 7, 2014
It's not a start up, It's going to be made by Ivogo.
It will be crowd funded but that is just to pool the money so that it can go into production.

The thing about this is that it's more or less asking the community what they want and giving it to them. From the few things you said you didn't like about the rdna is kinda sounds like they have what you are looking for (or don't have what you're not looking for).

Just something to consider. The price, the layout and features all seem to be more what you are looking for.

For what it is worth, I'm kind of in the same boat, the decision making boat. For the obvious, and well stated reasons here, I want to go VS rDNA 40 since it is new, has more features, has corrected some iffy features from the rDNA 30, namely reverse protection and integrated wireless charging. BUT, I'm considering the kinks and issues that likely come from early adoption. I'm also considering just snagging a DNA 30 from vaporshark for size and compactness and letting the DNA 40 get some life in it first.

I'm admittedly being kind of cheap too in that regard. But, what I always come back to is that, either way, it is a quality 40 watt device. Kind of like motorcycles, the power is in the throttle, it will go where you want it to. If going with the 40, I personally will be slowly working my way into the nickel temp control world.

rusirius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2014
DE
So I am intrigued by temp control.
Practically speaking, I'm so sure it it would be a huge advantage for me as my vaping chops are solid enough that I rarely get a dry hit. Of course there is the safety thing...

Power wise it should be ideal, I rarely go above 40 and usually live in the mid 20w range.

I like the size of the rdna a lot but I am not crazy about the screen being on the bottom. Not a deal breaker though.
Not crazy about the xpv and I am not willing to pay for a Hana or anything else.

My main ride right now is a IPV2, which save for the very stupid placement of the USB port I am very happy with.

If anything I would rotate between the two or keep the IPV as a 2nd stringer.

My GF has been bugging me for a regulated mod, so I figured I would pass down my Cloupor Hana to her and then pull the trigger on the vs Dna40.

TIA gang!

I'll tell you this... I was sort of in the same mindset. That the DNA40 wasn't going to be the end all be all to vaping that some were claiming. Mostly for the same reasons. I never got burnt or nasty hits. I had my setups right and when dripping at the first sign of it drying out a bit I'd re-drip. So what real advantage would the DNA40 offer an experienced vaper like myself? Nothing that I could think of. Couple that with the headaches of working with NI200 and I wasn't sold at all. To make matters even worse, While I normally ran around 30-40 watts, I very often would run 50-60-70 watts and was actually thinking of getting more.

But being me, I like to try new things. So I decided to give it a go. I spent $5 on a busted Cana mod and $60 on a board. I'm going to be completely honest when I tell you that once I got some initial problems resolved (I got a bad board) I felt like I was eating a great big helping of humble pie.

For me it's about flavor. I make big clouds, but not because of the clouds themselves, but because of the flavor they bring. The DNA40 is like the difference between a can of spam and a perfectly cooked dry aged filet. Every juice I had tasted remarkably different. It's really hard to explain but I think it basically comes down to what I used to think was a perfect setup that wasn't burning wick material was in fact doing just that. Very slightly. So it wasn't noticable as a burnt dry hit, but just enough to tinge the taste. I truly had no idea what I was missing.

What I think was happening was basically that even in my "perfect" setup, things aren't always perfect. You've got a fixed amount of wattage going through no matter what. So if a pocket of vapor forms and creates a positive pressure in a small area of the wick, that small area will go dry for a brief moment. Variations in the draw, what was a perfectly matched draw (i.e. removing the precise amount of heat that's being generated in vapor) a fraction of a second ago slows down and now lets heat build up, etc...etc...etc.... The DNA40 changes that. If the wicking slows down for a moment it reduces wattage until it's back to normal. If your draw slows down it does the same. It constantly changes and adjusts the wattage to stay right where it needs to be to match your variables.

The result is a perfectly clean taste. Juice Juice and nothing but juice. What I thought was a perfect taste, was actually tinted and changed by other variables. The DNA40 removes those variables. So the taste you get is the taste you get. You can change it by varying the temperature, but otherwise it won't change on you without you making it.

The first night I owned my DNA40 I sat on the couch with about 20 bottles of juice and a dripper. I'd drip a few drops, vape the wicks almost perfectly dry, then drip a new juice. Never any cross over of flavor, and most importantly even juices I "thought" I knew what they tasted like now tasted completely different. So much cleaner and better tasting in almost all cases. I mean seriously... I PRIDED myself on my awesome setups. When I'd go to the local B&M even the employees (very knowledgeable) would comment on how good various juices tasted in my setup. I really honestly thought I was almost a perfect builder and could get the best out of any juice out there. I was wrong...

And as for power? All the power you put into it goes into vaporizing juice. NOT into burning wick or overheating the coils. The end result is that I can actually produce just as much vapor in the DNA40 at 40 watts as I can in another device at say 50 or 60 watts.

At the end of the day, are there some things I hope they will get worked out or could possibly do better? Of course... But do I think you'll for a moment regret buying it? Not one bit. I sure don't.

FWIW, After about the first week of owning the DNA40? I haven't touched a SINGLE other mod. Not once... I've actually ordered the stuff to throw a second one together because if anything happens to it I want my backup to be a DNA40, not a standard mod. I'm pretty much ready to sell everything else I own mod wise. Yeah... It's that good. And seriously... Go back and look at some of my posts in the "Thoughts about VV/VW mods" thread and others... You'll see I was one of the biggest skeptics out there... Until I tried it!

Last edited:

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I'll tell you this... I was sort of in the same mindset. That the DNA40 wasn't going to be the end all be all to vaping that some were claiming. Mostly for the same reasons. I never got burnt or nasty hits. I had my setups right and when dripping at the first sign of it drying out a bit I'd re-drip. So what real advantage would the DNA40 offer an experienced vaper like myself? Nothing that I could think of. Couple that with the headaches of working with NI200 and I wasn't sold at all. To make matters even worse, While I normally ran around 30-40 watts, I very often would run 50-60-70 watts and was actually thinking of getting more.

But being me, I like to try new things. So I decided to give it a go. I spent $5 on a busted Cana mod and $60 on a board. I'm going to be completely honest when I tell you that once I got some initial problems resolved (I got a bad board) I felt like I was eating a great big helping of humble pie.

For me it's about flavor. I make big clouds, but not because of the clouds themselves, but because of the flavor they bring. The DNA40 is like the difference between a can of spam and a perfectly cooked dry aged filet. Every juice I had tasted remarkably different. It's really hard to explain but I think it basically comes down to what I used to think was a perfect setup that wasn't burning wick material was in fact doing just that. Very slightly. So it wasn't noticable as a burnt dry hit, but just enough to tinge the taste. I truly had no idea what I was missing.

What I think was happening was basically that even in my "perfect" setup, things aren't always perfect. You've got a fixed amount of wattage going through no matter what. So if a pocket of vapor forms and creates a positive pressure in a small area of the wick, that small area will go dry for a brief moment. Variations in the draw, what was a perfectly matched draw (i.e. removing the precise amount of heat that's being generated in vapor) a fraction of a second ago slows down and now lets heat build up, etc...etc...etc.... The DNA40 changes that. If the wicking slows down for a moment it reduces wattage until it's back to normal. If your draw slows down it does the same. It constantly changes and adjusts the wattage to stay right where it needs to be to match your variables.

The result is a perfectly clean taste. Juice Juice and nothing but juice. What I thought was a perfect taste, was actually tinted and changed by other variables. The DNA40 removes those variables. So the taste you get is the taste you get. You can change it by varying the temperature, but otherwise it won't change on you without you making it.

The first night I owned my DNA40 I sat on the couch with about 20 bottles of juice and a dripper. I'd drip a few drops, vape the wicks almost perfectly dry, then drip a new juice. Never any cross over of flavor, and most importantly even juices I "thought" I knew what they tasted like now tasted completely different. So much cleaner and better tasting in almost all cases. I mean seriously... I PRIDED myself on my awesome setups. When I'd go to the local B&M even the employees (very knowledgeable) would comment on how good various juices tasted in my setup. I really honestly thought I was almost a perfect builder and could get the best out of any juice out there. I was wrong...

And as for power? All the power you put into it goes into vaporizing juice. NOT into burning wick or overheating the coils. The end result is that I can actually produce just as much vapor in the DNA40 at 40 watts as I can in another device at say 50 or 60 watts.

At the end of the day, are there some things I hope they will get worked out or could possibly do better? Of course... But do I think you'll for a moment regret buying it? Not one bit. I sure don't.

FWIW, After about the first week of owning the DNA40? I haven't touched a SINGLE other mod. Not once... I've actually ordered the stuff to throw a second one together because if anything happens to it I want my backup to be a DNA40, not a standard mod. I'm pretty much ready to sell everything else I own mod wise. Yeah... It's that good. And seriously... Go back and look at some of my posts in the "Thoughts about VV/VW mods" thread and others... You'll see I was one of the biggest skeptics out there... Until I tried it!

I hope I get shipped a working VS rDNA, to experience this.
    What atty, and build are you using?

rusirius

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 8, 2014
    DE
    I hope I get shipped a working VS rDNA, to experience this.
    What atty, and build are you using?

I've experimented with all sorts of various builds. Right this moment I'm running an Atomic RDA with dual 3mm micros. 14 wraps of 30awg each. That build sucks every last bit of the 40W out of it, but it pumps out some serious vapor. I've done several different builds with different gauges in it and that one seems to deliver the best flavor and vapor with the Atomic. I've done lots of various builds in my fogger, kayfuns, orchid, big dripper, plume veil, etc... In most cases I really just build for the device. If I'm building for my fogger or orchid i'm going with slightly smaller diameter coils (1.5-2.5mm), due to space considerations, and with RDAs I'm leaning towards the 3-3.5mm range. I pretty much just try to build for the particular device and try to maximize surface area while minimizing heat capacity and keeping the heat flux for whatever wattage I want it to handle at a nominal level. Wick that puppy with rayon and bask in vaper bliss... :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread