Tank nightmares! Yes, plural. Clearos & RBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

jer77od

Jul 25, 2013
Tempe, AZ
I'm sort of new to the game (but not really), and have been having such a bad time with this stuff. Granted, I like it a lot, and sometimes I get a good lucky day, but hardly ever.

It all started with the T3. It was good only because I did not know any better. After constant gurgling, leaking, and weird and muted tastes, I upgraded to the T3S, hoping that would be a better case. Again, I was getting issues. At first it was just ok, but those also had a weird and/or muted taste to them. No leaking tho. I'm actually smoking on one now.

By this time I'm starting to get annoyed. So, I again, upgrade to a protank 1. (Kanger products... No idea why) The PT1 seemed to work great for me for a while. Then I started getting a metallic/muted taste. Changed the head after a while and no help. I in turn rebuilt one of my protank heads with some A1 32G Kanthal and Peaches and Cream 3mm wick (after boiling of course), and now it seems worse. Like a burning taste and the throat hit is a bit more harsh than before.

That brought me to the iClear 30. This thing actually worked pretty well for a good while. I have yet to buy a new head for it. My only gripe is the tight air draw (which I'm not seeking support for) and the somewhat muted taste. That and almost 90% of my liquids I think taste like crap in all said set ups... SOOOOO

I jump on board into RBA's. This is where my entire vaping world comes crashing because I've been comparing it to my clearos. I tinker with the stock Smoktech RDA Octopus for a while and it's hitting great. Great flavor and all. Until I overtinker with it and break the coil. Lol. I've been rebuilding that thing and as of now have only build 3 coils. Same wire and wicking material as stated above. I'm getting some pretty decent flavor for being so picky about my taste, but hardly any vapor production. I've been comparing RBA taste to my clearos.. which I probably shouldn't, but now even my RBA taste burned and has one heck of a undesireable throat hit (while maintaining a decent taste) weird, I think. I also need to drill out an airhole on this, as the stock is just too tight.

I'm just at a loss for words here and any help would be appreciated. I'm beginning to wonder if a lot of my products are fake because so many other people seem to have a lot of success with these devices. I got my T3 from some overpriced shop here in town, the rest of the tanks/RBA from Mt baker vapor, and my A1 wire from RTD, Wick from Micheals after a half hour of boiling.

Sorry for the rant, just getting frustrated wit this stuff.

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
What resistance are the coils you're building?

Also how are you wrapping them, ie using a drill bit some other thin object or are you just wrapping around the cotton?

It sounds like you may have wicking issues specifically on the PT, 3mm silica may work in a pt head, but 3mm of cotton may be too much, 3mm ekowool definitely is a squeeze/has wicking issues.

ghola1was

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
NV USA
I've tried dripping. Still am. That's what the Smoktech RBA is. Rebuildable dripping atomizer (RBA). I also have tried removing the flavor wicks from the T3 but it gurgled and leaked too much. I did in protank head I rebuilt too. It kind of gurgles some but the taste is almost horrid.

Sorry, got my acronyms mixed up. Thought RBA was rebuildable atomizer and RDA was rebuildable dripping atomizer.

My bad.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Sorry, got my acronyms mixed up. Thought RBA was rebuildable atomizer and RDA was rebuildable dripping atomizer.

My bad.

Not really. The terms change so quickly it's hard to keep up. At first everything was an RBA, RDA has since been created to differentiate one from the other. I call them all the same thing: I'm too busy.

jer77od

Jul 25, 2013
Tempe, AZ
Whoops. Didn't even catch that RBA RDA mistake. Lol. Anyways, my resistances are very sporadic cuz I just started. So far every coil I've made I immediately trash. 1.3 ohms to 3.0. I usually use a hex bit for wrapping. I did however make one good coil but it shorted out and broke. Oh well. I'm still trying my hand at it. Wicking issues? I've been folding for a "double" wick on everything so far, and once even a double fold just for fun. Maybe I should try something thinner? Then I'm left with not much surrounding "soaking" wick to work with. I should at least try it. Maybe it will get rid of that burned taste we all know and hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread