Tank vaping = disappointing vaping? Say it ain't so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Louisiana
Do all tanks give a disappointing vape? Certainly not, otherwise why would so many people use them? I have two, a Smoketech cheap-o and a Cartomator from NHaler. Both give me just enough vapor so that I'm getting something, but it's dry, airy, and almost flavorless. I've gone back to dripping until I can figure this out...

I've tired one hole, two holes, even up to eight holes. I've used Boges, Smoketech DC cartos, and Kangers. I've tried prefilling the carto, not prefilling, topping off, not topping off. I've even tried loosing the poly fill. The only decent vape I can get out of a tank setup is on the Cartomator with a Kanger with a single hole punched. I don't prefill it, but just slip it into a full tank. Once it stops bubbling, I top off the tank, give it some dry pulls, rotate it to line up the big air bubble in the tank with the hole in the carto and give it a good blow or two (to even out the pressure), then a few more dry pulls. Then I let it soak a while. Finally I vape. To have anything close to a decent vape throughout the day, I have to repeat this dry-pull/blow/dry-pull process at least once or twice during every vape session (of about 5-10min).

I get better vapes with only one whole punched, so I'm sure that it's suction vs wicking that fills the carto. Fewer holes = higher suction per hole. I also get better results not prefilling or topping off, which I think is because it helps air get down to the hole in the carto. Still, I am convinced the problem is a vacuum inside the tank. If I can get air to bubble out, it vapes better for a drag or two. The problem is keeping it going without me "working" it constantly.

I'm seriously thinking about drilling a tiny air vent in the top or something, or just buying a different tank. I already have two tanks though, one cheap and one premium, and I don't really want to spend money on another tank to just get the same performance. ... so I'm starting to wonder... is this just what tank vaping is like?

Note: I have tried the Vivi and I detect a plastic taste, but I have another one on the way to see if it's any different. I also have a Penelope which rocks, but I'm still experimenting with wicks and coils to find what I like there. It's fun but not a solution for me at the moment.

Edit: old thread where I was experimenting with my new Cartomator here

Last edited:

MikeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Louisiana
OK... so I drilled a tiny (1/32") hole in the tube. I was right, the liquid has too much surface tension to escape through the hole, but air can get in to balance the pressure. Carto fills nicely and vapes great. However.... the air just keeps coming in, so the liquid runs out the bottom. :( ...didn't really think about that. lol

So.... now what? I guess a vacuum is what is keeping my carto from getting juice, but the vacuum is also what keeps the juice from leaking out of the tank...

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
Out in the middle of Nowhere
Mike, what's the consistency of your juice? 70PG/30 VG? or what?

The more VG you have, the more holes you'll need, because VG is thicker than PG. And what brand carto are you using right now? Are you using prepunched or punching your own?

I'm sorry you're having such issues with the tanks. I've not had your problems, but can imagine your frustration.

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
ok...rereading and really studying your last post. I read this part.

"If I can get air to bubble out, it vapes better for a drag or two. The problem is keeping it going without me "working" it constantly."

I've personally never NOT prefilled a carto when putting it in a tank. But the statement above really leads me to believe you have some thick juice. Also, since you have better luck with Kangers than anything else would make sense also, since I've heard their filler is more loosely packed than Boge's.

What say you try this. Get just alittle bit of your regular juice, and put it in a seperate bottle, and add say....a drop or two of vodka or distilled water. This will thin down your juice some. See what happens doing that.

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
I wish I lived closer to you, I'd come over and help you. You don't by chance live anywhere near New Orleans do you? There's a vaping shop there that sells tanks, so they'd be able to help you hands on! I'll give you a link to vaporsearchUSA just in case. You click on your state and it'll take you to two shops that are located in Louisiana. The one in Covington dosen't sell tanks, so I'm not sure whether they could help you or not, but SmokeCignals does.

VaporSearchUSA

P.S. I just thought of something. You ARE leaving the little white cap out of the carto when you're putting it in a tank, RIGHT?

Last edited:

MikeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Louisiana
Thanks for trying to help, Kay. To answer the questions from above:

My juice is from Johnson Creek, and its 100%VG, but its really really runny. It's not like any other VG I've used. It soaks in as fast as some of my 100%PG liquids, so I'm guessing they cut it with something.

I'm using Kanger 510 SS cartos, and I am punching them with Siam's carto punch thingie (much better than a saddle)

A guy in my last thread turned me on to not prefilling them or topping them off, and it really does seem to help that air get down in there so it can bubble. I don't think my juice is too thick, but I guess it could be. I have tried a couple of other liquids in the tank but now that I think about it, I think they have all been VG or PG/VG blends. I don't really vape a lot of straight PG anymore. I haven't tried any of my really thick juices though, like AV Gamel for instance. That stuff is like syrup. I guess I can try cutting the juice with some vodka and see how it goes... once I figure out how to patch the hole in my tank... :D

LOL, I guess I am to the point it would be nice if someone could take a look and show me what is going wrong. New Orleans is a long way from where I am in Shreveport. Checked the website, and no vape shops nearby unfortunately either. Oh, and yea, no white caps... LOL.

I got a Vivi Nova in and that is working for me at the moment, though I do miss my Kangers. Been dripping a lot too. I'm almost out of ideas except for trying some straight PG, cutting my other juices, and trying a different tank.

durgidog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2012
memphis, tn
www.thomasin.com
Tanks are tanks as long as they work, it's really about the carto you're using. I've found such inconsistencies with accessories it's frustrating. I have been dripping for the last two weeks and just bought a bottom feeder (VMOD XL that's 50% off right now), put a kick in it and I'm really happy. I'm done with messing with tanks (and I have some great ones).

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
I couldn't vape without a tank. But I tank up an Ikenvape Fusion in one of Notcigs M1A1 tanks and this is the results. BTW that's 100% PG too.
OOPS excuse me that was when I was still using MAP tanks.

DSC02159.jpg

MikeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Louisiana
Tanks are tanks as long as they work, it's really about the carto you're using. I've found such inconsistencies with accessories it's frustrating. I have been dripping for the last two weeks and just bought a bottom feeder (VMOD XL that's 50% off right now), put a kick in it and I'm really happy. I'm done with messing with tanks (and I have some great ones).

I was actually looking at those VMODs earlier today! They look awesome! ...just can't seem to justify it to myself having bought a Provari and all this other crap recently. :(

MikeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Louisiana
I couldn't vape without a tank. But I tank up an Ikenvape Fusion in one of Notcigs M1A1 tanks and this is the results. BTW that's 100% PG too.
OOPS excuse me that was when I was still using MAP tanks.

DSC02159.jpg

That's what I'm after!!! Lots of nice thick vapor. I'm jealous. I can't seem to get that unless I top off my carto every four drags... or drip. Either way, it ain't hands free.

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
ok....Now that I know where you live.....

I googled vaping in your area and found this Vapers Place!! Here are vapers who are right in your area!! Surely someone there uses a tank. After you register, you can either go to their forum under 'The Community', or go to a list of their members under 'The Community' and ask someone for help. Find soneone who uses tanks and ask if you could meet them somewhere and get some hands on help from a 'tanker' person.

Shreveport – Bossier City Vapers (Louisiana) | Home | Vapers Place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread