Tank with inaccurate and unstable coil resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I've got a weird situation going on with a particular tank, and I'm wondering if someone can tell me what's going on.

I recently got a new Kayfun 5 clone (SXK). I built a coil, popped it on my mod and started vaping. The results were weird - sometimes it would give me a good vape, other times it would go directly to temperature protection and still other times it would stay 30 - 40 degrees below the set temp.

I checked the screws and the coil and couldn't find anything wrong, so I decided there was something wonky with the coil and started again. I washed out the base first and let it dry. Then I built another coil, put it on my ohmmeter and found my ~1 ohm coil was reading 1.4. I tightened the screws, checked the tails and tried again. 1.4 ohms. I figured I screwed up the coil and built a new one. 1.45 ohms. Then, while I sat there staring at it in perplexity, the resistance began to climb. It made it up to 2 ohms before I gave up and pulled out another tank.

Does anyone know why my tank's gone mad?

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
I've got a weird situation going on with a particular tank, and I'm wondering if someone can tell me what's going on.

I recently got a new Kayfun 5 clone (SXK). I built a coil, popped it on my mod and started vaping. The results were weird - sometimes it would give me a good vape, other times it would go directly to temperature protection and still other times it would stay 30 - 40 degrees below the set temp.

I checked the screws and the coil and couldn't find anything wrong, so I decided there was something wonky with the coil and started again. I washed out the base first and let it dry. Then I built another coil, put it on my ohmmeter and found my ~1 ohm coil was reading 1.4. I tightened the screws, checked the tails and tried again. 1.4 ohms. I figured I screwed up the coil and built a new one. 1.45 ohms. Then, while I sat there staring at it in perplexity, the resistance began to climb. It made it up to 2 ohms before I gave up and pulled out another tank.

First thing i would check is to make sure the screw at the very bottom of the 510 is nice and tight.

Petabread

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2014
Miami, FL

As far as jumping resistance, definitely a connection issue. As Dubminer suggested, check the 510 at the bottom of the tank.

Once you get that figured out, I’m not sure what type of coil you’re using, but spaced coils work MUCH better for temp control - unless you get every tiny hotspot out of a contact coil, temp control may not work so well. Let us know how it goes.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
First thing i would check is to make sure the screw at the very bottom of the 510 is nice and tight.

Thank you all. I tightened the screw and it barely moved - well under 1/8 of a turn, but that seems to have done it. It's been behaving beautifully for several hours now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread