Tank woes and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesEh408

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
San Jose Ca
Howdy fellow vapers!

As I enter my journey and my new possibly unaffordable new hobby of vaping...I come across the the issue of tank woes. Then I do a ton of searching and youtubing and finally I get a new tank with all new woes. Then the cycle repeats.

So I decided that I could start a thread where people can come together to discuss these things and give suggestions to each other.

I know there is probably 10k threads about this scattered around, but hopefully :fingers crossed: we can have a one-stop-shop eventually where a person can just search the thread.

To make this a little bit more specific, lets keep it down to 510 connections...at least we can have that and vaping in common :p

v1k1ng1001

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Edinburg, TX
There's a learning curve with any delivery system, especially tanks.

My davides and protanks work well with anything that is low-viscosity (say, 65-70% pg or above) and require some tweaking of the wicking at higher viscosity (50% pg or less).

Also, some heads are just duds. Others require more frequent cleaning than is normal.

PONKAW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2011
Panama city
As v1 said above... All the Kangers use basically the same head unit. It is all about juice viscosity and finding the right amount of wick for each variation. I tend to build most evod heads with 2.5mm silica with no flavor wick ... but for the pro tanks I find 3mm works better or a 1.5 - 2.0mm wick with a 1.5mm flavor wick. the top wick or "flavor" wick helps contain the gurgling and reduces leaking form the connector.
You just have to experiment and find what works for you. For instance ... for along time I used a tight 5 wrap coil that came in at around
1.8 - 2.1 ohms consistently. Works great for most of my juices (mostly 70p - 30v) but I noticed a short life span on the coil ...2 to 3 days heavy vaping (especially with tobaccos). After quite a few coil builds I found that a loose 4 wrap coil seems to working very well, and lasting twice as long. I think because the coil is able to get a little hotter and is less vulnerable from "caking" up so fast like it would from the "tight" coil.
I like how you acknowledge it as a hobby! Because there is no other way to justify how much some of us spend on vaping :blink:

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
Soo... My latest issue is with the PT2. It tastes great and vape is awesome...but I vape the HECK out of my juice and I end up with gurggling, burning, leaking, and will see what else can go wrong.

Any tank suggestions that let you vape to clouds above with no regard for the atmosphere and no remorse?

I don't know about the burning, but the gurgling & leaking make me think that maybe you might need to remove one of the flavor wicks in the coil. Have you tried that?

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
There's a learning curve with any delivery system, especially tanks.

My davides and protanks work well with anything that is low-viscosity (say, 65-70% pg or above) and require some tweaking of the wicking at higher viscosity (50% pg or less).

Also, some heads are just duds. Others require more frequent cleaning than is normal.

I wasn't having any problem with my Protanks or Davides until I found a juice called Carmelnut Mocha. It's the darkest juice I've vaped to date, and it was eating through my heads like mad. Then something even worse started happening - I would put a new head in, and it would have a burnt taste right off the bat! Even after removing the head and thoroughly cleaning it, the burnt taste kept coming back.

Today I took the whole thing apart, washed it, and removed one of the wicks that lie on top of the wrapped wick. Primed it, put it back together, and voila - problem solved. I guess it's true about removing one of the flavor wicks after all - but only for certain juices.

JamesEh408

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
San Jose Ca
I don't know about the burning, but the gurgling & leaking make me think that maybe you might need to remove one of the flavor wicks in the coil. Have you tried that?

I have..in fact I have found that if I totally remove the stock flavor wicks and replace it with a 2.5 wick it works well. I have also made the wick longer than it needs to be and wrapped it around the canal. Don't know if that is helping but it seems to

v1k1ng1001

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Edinburg, TX
I can get a week or two out of mine, but I vape between 100%pg and 50% pg juices (mostly clearer fruit/menthol flavors) at lower wattages, dialing it back if I get anything like burning. It suits my vaping style as I like to take longer, airy draws anyway.

I'm not really sure what to make of this, but my high vg juices tend to vape more consistently on my SVD rather than my Vamo.

nikki tine

Nov 18, 2011
miami
I like the idea of this one stop shop thread.

So-note my join date-I have been vaping for a relatively long time. I was lucky
enough to find JoyeTech products pretty quickly, but the old atomizer-tank
systems sucked. I wish I could put that in italics.

As a matter of fact, back then as I recall it, almost everything (outside those
batteries) was tedious, trouble prone, and defective to some degree; so when the
dual-coil cartomizers came out (and after I learned to fill them...no handy stores to
teach me) I fell in love with the product.

A brick and mortar store opened in my area-I was so excited. I did find that I
liked my real JoyeTech products better, but I supported the store, and I loved that
I could run in and buy emergency liquid or carts. But one day, they stopped carrying carts.
I had already noticed that there are many new Vapers and everyone seemed to have a
tank. I didn't want to be a dinosaur.

So I bought a Kanger ProTank from my online purveyor. It seemed to get the best reviews.
It took me a while to learn, and I had it running alright, but I mis threaded it one hung over
morning and the rim of the pyrex shattered. I went to my brick and mortar store, and lo, they
were selling Kanger Pro Tanks under, of course, their own label. So now I had 2 kits
but only one Pyrex, and it worked fine that afternoon.

That was yesterday. This morning I tried to fill it, inserting a Q tip to keep the insides dry,
and I cannot get it to work. I have reassembled it using all the different combinations of the
parts I have. I have switched every single item around. It's unimaginable that 4 wicks went
bad at once; I'm doing something wrong, and I'd like to know what, but there's another
point; the Kanger Pro brings me right back to all the trouble I had years ago with
the old equipment. And maybe an excited newbie, high on quitting smoking and all, has the
patience for this, but having experienced equipment that works with perhaps 10 minutes of
thought a week, I don't. I can't wait to try the finished product.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I just had the guy at the vape shop near my house tell me that I can't use a rba with my VV ZMax V3...really? My buddy has a vamo and a aga t2 so.....???
He's probably a hardcore sub ohmer that only uses mechanicals. Regulated mods like your ZMax won't fire a coil under 1.2 ohm or so. That's not to say you can't use a 1.5 - 2.0 ohm coil on your ZMax.

To me, the protective feature of regulated mods are there for a purpose and a reason. Why intentionally bypass those safety protocals by using a mech mod so you can fire your sub ohm coil with no safety features? Other than a hot spring and vent holes, which are only marginally useful after a battery gets hot and hard shorts. Don't get me started....stop it Bad. :rolleyes:

Point is, the beauty of an RBA is you can build your coil's resistance to whatever ohm you prefer. I use 2.0 ohms on my Provari's and that makes me pleased as punch.

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
The #1 Problem I have seen with ALL Clearomizers, Tanks and Mods to Date...........
is people purchasing with No intent to learn how to get the best performance out of them.

Most people seriously expect perfection in Low Budget Equipment right out of the box.
Most do not realize the multitude of Different E-liquid Blends, Power supplies and Vaping Techniques.

With Rare exception - All manufactures attempt to find the middle ground and produce a product that will fit that need. Most of these products can be easily adjusted to individual preference - with a little effort.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread